CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff international sports village

Hey. Does anyone know when work will start on the hotlels and new ice rink ? Seems a bit quiet down there hope the tallest building in wales (hopefully) doesn't end up like the seren project

Re: Cardiff international sports village

There looks to be some action in the Sports village! They are building a high fence around the site where the Ice rink is to go!

Thanks for the update Baywatcher.

Took a while, but great to see something actually starting to happen.

Baywatcher
There looks to be some action in the Sports village! They are building a high fence around the site where the Ice rink is to go!

Cheers for sharing Baywatcher - That's really encouraging!! it'll be good to see a number of portakabins arriving soon and then some machinery and we may actually see the start of this VERY long awaited Ice rink!! and more progression in the development of this peninsular

Great to see all this wasteland finally being developed on... Although erecting a large wooden fence doesn't necesarily mean work is about to start (see Glass Needle site)
I'm off on a site visit to the Cardiff Pointe development on Tuesday
I shall report back with photos and any bits of info they tell us

A few portacabins seem to have arrived but they look to be shed types without windows. A new fence has also been erected on the boundary with the swimming pool.

It looks like some real action! A digger is working in the Ice Rink area,

Excellent news. Excellent picture.

Excellent.

The residential block in the background isn't weathering at all well is it - lots of mildew on the render. Who'd have anticipated that?

I noticed that renders for the afforable housing scheme next to Morrison's are on Bellerophon (the developer's) website.

Meh.

I saw them when I was looking at their website for the Dumballs road development.

Seeing as it's the same affordable housing developer and the same architects (I think) we could see the same but on a larger scale volume wise on Dumballs road.

I think they look alright. They won't win any prizes but its ok. Depends on finish, materials, etc etc

Baywatcher
It looks like some real action! A digger is working in the Ice Rink area,

I have excellent news on that from my site visit today - site establishment is currently going on... groundwork will begin in 4 weeks!
Straight from the project manager at Cardiff pointe - I have an awful lot more information I will share later, just need to finish off a piece of coursework ready for tomorrow.

Also, from the Bellerophon website, this is what is planned to face onto the bayscape plot.

No facetious comments please about Bayscape please.

I think that looks quite neat and ties in to what Cardiff Pointe will look like

news from my site visit to Cardiff Pointe today:

A total of 720 piles are to be driven into the ground over the next 6-8 years at a depth of up to 80 metres. The ground also has to be continually monitored for gas leaking out from underground voids contaminated by Bill Way's scrap yard etc. The floors of the houses are apparently having 3 layers of a membrane designed to filter out noxious gases to ensure gas doesn't leak into the properties.

http://www.cardiffpointe.co.uk/graphics/master/site-plan.gif

Currently undertaking phase 1 and phase 2 - they are in the 40th week of a 100-week programme (so these two should be completed early April 2015). They are currently fitting out the internals of the left hand block in that image (26-42) #34 is the showhome which they are handing over on Friday. On the opposite side (block 47-62) is in varying states of first fix, final roofing layers etc.

The properties in green are all timber frame houses with external brickwork, the yellow and red ones at either end are poured reinforced concrete with external cladding.

They have apparently already sold half of these properties, and in total have "genuine offers" on 200 of the units - including two of the major 6-bedroom houses facing penarth marina, which aren't being constructed for another 3-4 years at least (unless of course the others all sell).

The main access road (above block 1-19) is set to be handed over on the weekend.

As already stated, the ice rink site is currently being set up (compound, parking etc.) and ground work is due to commence in less than 4 weeks.

The snow dome, however, is a lot longer away - the project manager at CP stated they don't anticipate starting on that, the adjoining hotel, car park etc. for at least 5 years.

They are currently debating with the council the amount of retail outlets at the new shopping district - the council don't want too many so to distract from the bay or town, but the developers are keen for more in order to fund other parts of the development - it's currently at a bit of a stalemate apparently.

If they've sold half the first phase they need to update their website: last time I looked last month, they had listed only 3 or 4 as 'under offer'. I also wonder the commercial terms of the sales. The prices listed on the website seem well above prices elsewhere in Cardiff bay and the specifications don't seem to justify it (in terms of square footage, views, room layouts etc).

But interesting info in any case.

Interesting information thanks.

It's good news to see the ice rink going ahead soon, and if what they are saying on sales is true for the homes that's also very positive, but 'at least 5 years' doesn't sound too good for the snow dome and hotel. It's no surprise really as I suppose they have their hands full with everything else but I wonder how much of it is a game with the council? If they get to build more retail than the council would ideally want would they build the snow dome quicker ?

murfilicious

.....They are currently debating with the council the amount of retail outlets at the new shopping district - the council don't want too many so to distract from the bay......

I though this was part of 'The Bay'....or do they mean Mermaid Quay (which is a part of The Bay??

Jeff
murfilicious

.....They are currently debating with the council the amount of retail outlets at the new shopping district - the council don't want too many so to distract from the bay......

I though this was part of 'The Bay'....or do they mean Mermaid Quay (which is a part of The Bay??

Hi Jeff - this is my 'under construction' map of the whole area - showing that the sports village is a separate entity to the mermaid quay area http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com/CardiffBay.htm

Yes, that's my point, Paul. Mermaid Quay is a part of 'The Bay' and your map demonstrates it admirably (look at the words 'Cardiff Bay' shown on your map). It simply irritates me when people refer to Mermaid Quay as 'The Bay'. As your map also shows, that particular area is probably better described as 'Millennium Waterfront'(also part of The Bay).

The original post to which I referred mentioned the Council being concerned about proposed retail units affecting retail units in 'The Bay' (and the city) when, in the case of 'the Bay' they surely meant Mermaid Quay. The International Sports Village is also part of 'The Bay'

Outside of convenience stores and an Austin Reed factory outlet I can't think of any retail in Mermaid Quay, the RDC or Capital Waterside. There is of course plenty of retail in Ferry Road but I would have thought that was Grangetown rather than the Bay.

I suppose the type of proposed retail is important. My understanding was that the ISV would not have any more 'big box' retailers and that any commercial around the snow box would be on a much smaller scale and would also include a substantial element of A3. I'm not sure where I got that impression from and maybe I've just looked at the renders and come to that conclusion.

If the plan is to have a number of other big box retailers and have something akin to a smaller version of Ferry Road in the ISV then I'm with the Council on this one. Retail of that nature would detract from the scheme and make the ISV even more car centric than it already is.

I think there needs to be a careful selection of types of business that is allowed to open around other parts of the bay to avoid competition with the inner harbour (aka mermaid quay, aka the bay ;) ). My understanding is that a cafe and some sports related shops would open in this area, i would hate to see a large number of restaurants open in this area and turn mermaid quay into a ghost town. There needs to be a reason for being for this area and it needs to be executed well.

Gotta have a hot chocklate and marshmellow shop in the ski slope
Slush puppy's in the ice rink
hmm need a swim up bar in the pool

Cardiff
I think there needs to be a careful selection of types of business that is allowed to open around other parts of the bay to avoid competition with the inner harbour (aka mermaid quay, aka the bay ;) ). My understanding is that a cafe and some sports related shops would open in this area, i would hate to see a large number of restaurants open in this area and turn mermaid quay into a ghost town. There needs to be a reason for being for this area and it needs to be executed well.

Obviously you dont live in the sports village! The only way to get to Mermaid quay after 6pm is by driving there or ordering an expensive taxi. Consequently the trade from the ISV to Mermaid quay is minimal. Surely there should be some form of community meeting places other than restaurants for the thousands of people who live here especially for those of us who are single.

Personally I would be delighted to see restaurants and bars open here which would make life a little more interesting.

"Ferry Rd" is actually "Cardiff Bay Retail Park" - it could be that the Council is concerned about the competition there

Baywatcher
Cardiff

Obviously you dont live in the sports village! The only way to get to Mermaid quay after 6pm is by driving there or ordering an expensive taxi. Consequently the trade from the ISV to Mermaid quay is minimal. Surely there should be some form of community meeting places other than restaurants for the thousands of people who live here especially for those of us who are single.

Personally I would be delighted to see restaurants and bars open here which would make life a little more interesting.

As much as i understand your point, you chose to live in an area that has drive up pubs and restaurants. Day to day i doubt there are many people who regularly choose to eat in the restaurants of Mermaid Quay that live close by (i myself probably only go once a month), by developing a second area of restaurants close to a major area of apartments and the type of people who live in them, i would guess this would drastically effect the number of people who eat at Mermaid Quay as surely they would prefer to walk downt he road rather than drive and park/"expensive taxi" to Mermaid Quay?
I dont think the city is large enough to support the city center restaurant, Mermaid Quay, all the local areas AND the ISV. Thats not to say that a restaurant as part of a hotel scheme should be declined, but it seems to me you are suggesting a bigger better version of Mermaid Quay?

I went to the show home launch this weekend (£495k Albacore with roof terrace) and I was somewhat disappointed. The finish is nice inside, modern kitchen; spacious bathrooms and the hallway area throughout is lovely, high ceilings and very spacious. But that was about it.

The garden was only a few feet deep with a high brick wall; bedroom 4 / the study on the ground floor could only be used a study; the living / kitchen / dining area on the first floor was very small for a family house and there was no second living area. Again there was another study on the first floor which seemed a bit of an overkill considering bedroom 4 could only be used for a study. On to the third floor with the three main bedrooms and I was shocked at how small they were...even with the age old developers trick of no wardrobes. The only plus point was that the en suit was huge. And then the selling point, the roof terrace (hence the lack of garden supposedly). It was very nice indeed and sort of wrapped around the house, but it was more thin and narrow than anything and I couldn't imagine it being wide enough for the outdoor sofas you can buy etc. But it did have a power point for a heater!

To put the size in perspective, I've worked out the living / dining / kitchen in the show home is 364.4 square feet. The same in my 1 bed apartment is 231.54 square feet so effectively it is only one third larger than what I've got.

I found it interesting that the roof terraces were every other property to ensure privacy and those without a roof terrace would not be allowed to build upwards and have one (although what would happen when the developer goes off site I do not know).

What I also found interesting was the investment angle being pushed, specifically around short term holiday type lets and reference was made to how others in the Bay do this. The others in the group I was with saw this quite positively and when I asked for clarification as to whether there were covenants stopping this sort of thing, I was categorically told no. Personally I have seen first hand the noise; damage and then paying the cost to repair the damage done as a result of short term lets so I was surprised that we at Prospect Place have this covenant yet this high end development does not. If I spent half a mil on a house and the one next door was being rented out on a short term basis with constant parties I would not be impressed.

Specifically on the apartment side it was interesting to note that they were on a 999 lease with no ground rent because the owners were rich and elderly and didn't need the money. A bit of an odd reason and not sure how you would be protected in the future. They also seemed to lack knowledge on how the site would be run once completed i.e. they have a management company but would it be the freeholder / leaseholders that would appoint the managing agent. This wouldn't only apply to the apartment units but also the houses...the communal gardens; pathways etc are not being adopted by the Council and all have to contribute to an estate charge to pay for these.

I always imagined that a half a million pound house would be a mini mansion, times have now changed to a house with a garden so small you couldn't even swing a cat.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM