CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff Metropolitan University puts Howard Gardens site up for sale

Cardiff Metropolitan University has put its Howard Gardens site in the centre of the capital up for sale.

The 2.25 acre currently houses the university’s School of Art and Design, which extends to just over 100,000 square feet.

The site is being marketed by the Cardiff office of international chartered surveyors Knight Frank, which says it expects the site to be redeveloped.

Stephen Widnall, partner at Knight Frank’s Cardiff office, said: “It is rare for such a large site so close to the city centre to come to the market and we expect a range of interest for alternative commercial and residential uses, although retaining some of the existing buildings could be envisaged.”

The school has more than 1,200 students and employs 70 staff. It will relocate to the university’s Llandaff campus next summer, following which a deal on the Howard Gardens site will be finalised.

David Benson, the university’s director of estates and facilities said: “The Cardiff School of Art and Design is relocating to a purpose built facility at the Llandaff Campus, as part of the university’s ongoing estates strategy to consolidate onto two main teaching campuses.”

The school already has a presence on the campus.

Meanwhile, John Lewis Partnership Pension Trust, represented by international real estate advisor Savills, has sold Golate in the centre of Cardiff to a private investor for £4.42m – representing a net initial yield of 14%.

Re: Cardiff Metropolitan University puts Howard Gardens site up for sale

this is a biggish plot of land in Adamsdown by the magistrates courts. I wonder what could go there....

Given that Atrium is due to be extended I'm guessing we could see (yet more) student accommodation on part of the site.

Couldn't USW take over the site to add to it's growing City Centre presence? I've always thought the inevitably merged USW and Cardiff Met would keep this site and even take on the site of the prison in the future (Possibly dispensing Cyncoed so having campuses in the City Centre, Llandaff, Treforest and Newport)

A mid-range office block, some student accommodation, some social housing. I hope whatever happens improves the streetscape and makes the junction of Moira Terrace and Fitzalan Road more pedestrian friendly. It doesnt feel great walking around that part of town surrounded by chunky buildings with limited active frontages. Maybe a new street through the site will help that.

Im not sure future developers will want to retain the building as suggested.

Commuter87
Couldn't USW take over the site to add to it's growing City Centre presence? I've always thought the inevitably merged USW and Cardiff Met would keep this site and even take on the site of the prison in the future (Possibly dispensing Cyncoed so having campuses in the City Centre, Llandaff, Treforest and Newport)

Cardiff Met will never ditch Cyncoed. The sports facilities there are practically their raison d'etre.

Lyndon
Commuter87

Cardiff Met will never ditch Cyncoed. The sports facilities there are practically their raison d'etre.

I appreciate that, it's the fantasist/megalomaniac in me that sees the universities merging eventually, with a larger city presence taking in the current Atrium, Howard Gardens and possibly the prison site, the closing down of the Cyncoed and Caerleon campuses, with sports relocated to a redeveloped Leckwith Sports district.

Below is a link to the original article anyhow

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/cardiff-metropolitan-university-puts-howard-6280232

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM