CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City of Culture

Leaving aside an old joke about comparing a pot of yoghurt to Swansea, I think its a pity for them and the wider South Wales that they lost out in the Culture pageant competition this morning to Hull. That said, I thought the response from the bid leader was uncalled for.

Sorry can't link to story from an iPad.

Re: City of Culture

Haven't seen what he said, but having been to Hull it has a lot to offer with a far more spectacular city center despite receiving more bomb damage in the war.

From the photographs I've seen of Hull, I'd say in terms of architecture it would give Cardiff a run for it's money. The old town looks lovely and there are some very grand civic buildings indeed. I'm not sure where the image of it being grim and ugly has come from - although the name doesn't really help.

Again I've only seen photo's which can hide a multitude of sins. As my old Dad used to say you could take a picture of Splott Park and make it look like paradise.

Ye Gods,I think you're right Karl. I've just 'Google-imaged' Hull, and from a quick scan, it is in many respects a bit of a doppelganger for Cardiff - and I'm not taking the proverbial either.

It appears to have similar doubles to Mermaid Quay / St John's Church area/ Barrage/Severn Bridge/ civic centre etc. I realise that some of these things are a bit generic to most UK cities, but the actual feel of the place (from the photos at least) is far more similar than I would have thought.

Whether it has a Splott Park or not, paradise or else, - well I'm holding back judgement on that one...

And another thought - if Hull gets such a negative rap and it's similar to Cardiff, then does that not mean that.....

Hull is on a much smaller scale than Cardiff, it has some impressive buildings but none really to compare with Cardiff bar the old admiral building. The city completely dies after 5pm and I'm not exaggerating here, with development at least 10 years behind every other city ion the UK. To compare it to Cardiff is to compare Plymouth to Cardiff. The reason it is seen as extremely grim is that the city center is an island in a sea of run down industrial estates and grotty dock areas, which if you don't physically make a point of seeking the city center is all you will see, as everything beautiful and good about the city is completely hidden from view (kind of like stepping out of Cardiff central and thinking this is what Cardiff looks like).

I haven't been to Hull for many years. When I did it was to stay with friends in their student digs and I spent most of my time in the Mainbrace pub on Beverly Road, the students union or some god awful nightclub that I've tried to erase from my memory. My overriding impression at the time was how bloody cold it was. The area we were staying in seemed similar to Cathays or perhaps Splott so I never really saw the best of it. That's why I was so surprised at how nice it actually is when viewing photo's on Skyscraper City.

I'll bow to your better knowledge about what it's like now.

I'm just waiting for somebody from Swansea to blame Cardiff for the fact they lost! It is a pity though. Swansea has a whole lot going for it - it just seems to lack critical mass.

the only culture the six six fingered caravan dwelling peg selling pikeys understand grows between their toes.

Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Micheal Sheen, Catherine Zeta Jones, Dylan Thomas, Rhod Gilbert, Katherine Jenkins, Paul Potts, Max Boyce, Bonnie Tyler, Bird, Rarebit, 1901, Phil Bennett, Richard Hibbard, John Charles, Alyn Wyn Jones, Nu Sxool, A3, Cadw listed derelict cinema's, Swansea Docks, disused Mountain Rail tunnels, World Class Mountain biking areas, Diana Botcher, Rob Brydon, Popular Surfing beaches, Michu, Enzo, Oxwich, Llangennech, Pendine, Joanne Page, Pembrey, The Scarlets, Ray Gravel, Castles, Margam Park, The Gnoll, Singleton Park, The Escape, Memories of Marthas Vineyard, The Gower an area of natural outstanding beauty, Neath Fair, Swansa Docks, The Maritime Museum, The Liberty, The Sand Siro, Aberafan Beach, The Mumbles, Laudrup, An Airport needing regeneration, A new electrified rail line, The Welsh Language - there is no bigger key to culture than language - etymology. Lava bread and that is just for starters

The one thing I was impressed by was that the whole city region got together for the bid. It wasn't just Swansea. That's good to see and I'm pleased one of the city regions are publicly doing things UK wide.

Slim Bola
Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins, Micheal Sheen, Catherine Zeta Jones, Dylan Thomas, Rhod Gilbert, Katherine Jenkins, Paul Potts, Max Boyce, Bonnie Tyler, Bird, Rarebit, 1901, Phil Bennett, Richard Hibbard, John Charles, Alyn Wyn Jones, Nu Sxool, A3, Cadw listed derelict cinema's, Swansea Docks, disused Mountain Rail tunnels, World Class Mountain biking areas, Diana Botcher, Rob Brydon, Popular Surfing beaches, Michu, Enzo, Oxwich, Llangennech, Pendine, Joanne Page, Pembrey, The Scarlets, Ray Gravel, Castles, Margam Park, The Gnoll, Singleton Park, The Escape, Memories of Marthas Vineyard, The Gower an area of natural outstanding beauty, Neath Fair, Swansa Docks, The Maritime Museum, The Liberty, The Sand Siro, Aberafan Beach, The Mumbles, Laudrup, An Airport needing regeneration, A new electrified rail line, The Welsh Language - there is no bigger key to culture than language - etymology. Lava bread and that is just for starters

that alone merits Swansea's inclusion.

I also notice you added the year Swansea residents live in (I've underlined it)

As Derry was the last UK City of Culture,on the "Celtic" fringe, who on Earth in Swansea really thought that it would be granted to another city on the "Celtic" fringe. It seemed obvious when they announced the four finalists that this would go to Hull. This is nothing to do with Swansea's offer, it is just politics.

But the real test is whether they can persuade anyone to go to Hull. It is the only major city in Great Britain that I have never visited and still cannot see any real reason to go there. It is on the road to nowhere. Anyone got any plans to visit it before rising sea-level swallows it up?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM