CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cardiff home to ICC?

Cardiff is one of three contenders, with Colombo and Singapore, to replace Dubai as the administrative base of the International Cricket Council. That is one of the more unlikely and intriguing proposals in the leaked working paper of the ICC's financial and commercial affairs committee, to be discussed at a board meeting on Wednesday week, which has inevitably been overlooked in the global furore provoked by the desire of England, Australia and India to seize greater control of the game.
There is no chance of the ICC leaving the jurisdiction of the United Arab Emirates, where it has been based since leaving Lord's in 2005. But in its working paper, which has been seen by the Guardian, the F&CA stresses: "Under UAE laws it is not necessary for the management to be located in the same jurisdiction.
"This facilitates the possible relocation of ICC management from Dubai to any potentially more favourable location where local talent is also available. The F&CA is currently in the final stages of evaluating these options, including reviewing the comparative advantages and disadvantages of Singapore, Colombo, Cardiff and Dubai as the administrative home of the ICC, and will report back to the ICC executive board on this matter shortly."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/19/cardiff-dubai-icc-administrative-base-singapore-colombo

Re: cardiff home to ICC?

Of the three you mentioned, I personally think Columbo has more of a claim than the other two!

Jeff
Of the three you mentioned, I personally think Columbo has more of a claim than the other two!

Jeff, I don't think that you can explain what will happen. Maybe you can, but you are trying to throw us off the scent. Don't be so quick to dismiss Cardiff or Singapore.

Oh and one more thing.......

Would be a coup for the city, and Cardiff already has a ton of experience with the sporting industry. The other two are strong contenders but I do wonder if the political situation in Colombo and Sri Lanka might put them at a disadvantage?

Cardiff...England "and Wales" Cricket Board (Still the ECB btw) What is Wales part in all this? One measly County - Glamorgan - and it expects the ICC here? You'll be saying next that cricket was first played by the celts.(Just checked Wikipedia. I think there was a match against the Romans in 32BC. Surprised Rome hasn't laid claim to this ICC thing....)

You lot are beyond belief!

I thought the International Criminal Court were happy in the Hague?

I had wondered if we really need another thread on the International Convention Centre.

Watta Joke
Cardiff...England "and Wales" Cricket Board (Still the ECB btw) What is Wales part in all this? One measly County - Glamorgan - and it expects the ICC here? You'll be saying next that cricket was first played by the celts.(Just checked Wikipedia. I think there was a match against the Romans in 32BC. Surprised Rome hasn't laid claim to this ICC thing....)

You lot are beyond belief!

Well apart from the name, what's the problem? I suppose you could try and claim that Wales are under represented by only having Glamorgan as a first-class county and then Wales as a minor county, but I've never heard of a campaign to get Monmouthshire or Carmarthenshire (for example) to be given minor county status, let alone first-class status.

Given that Sophia Gardens was one of just three British grounds hosting the 2013 Champions Trophy, it is now one of the semi-regular Test match venues and is a regular ODI venue, I think Wales is doing ok on that front.

Also, Hugh Morris was until this winter Managing Director of the England (and Wales...) cricket team. Tony Lewis has been President of the MCC.

I really don't know what you're fussing about.

@Barden

If I were you, I'd stick to being a narrow-minded Welsh Zealot. You're so much better at it! Cricket really isn't your forte.

While I don't really like dignifying aggressive posts with a response, I do have a follow up question. I am not up on international cricket. How does Cardiff compare to Singapore or Dubai? Does the admin headquarters need to be in a place with a big cricket base?

Me
While I don't really like dignifying aggressive posts with a response, I do have a follow up question. I am not up on international cricket. How does Cardiff compare to Singapore or Dubai? Does the admin headquarters need to be in a place with a big cricket base?

Well the ICC used to be based at Lord's cricket ground in London. They moved to Dubai about ten years ago. Dubai wasn't really seen as a strong cricket base, although the UAE had played in a World Cup, it's popular with expats there and as it happens, Pakistan now play home games there (due to security problems in Pakistan itself).

I don't know how Cardiff compares to the alternatives. But there is a case that their headquarters should be at a city outside of the member nations (such as Dubai or Singapore) so that they are seen as independent from the ECB or Cricket Australia or the Board of Control in India.

@Watta Joke - for what it's worth, I'm not Welsh. Not that that should matter.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM