CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff and Vale College - Dumballs Road - progress

Building is well underway on the new £45m Cardiff and Vale college, Dumballs Road. It is due to open September 2015. This is what we're getting...

as ever, the more progress photos anyone wants to add - the better!

Re: Cardiff and Vale College - Dumballs Road - progress

this was the state of play on the 21st feb..

Good idea getting a thread created for it Paul.

This is going to be a lovely building, it's a little bit under our radar on this forum I think. I'm not sure if it's the type of building or where it is, but it will add to the footfall between the city centre and the Dumballs road area, and will help the whole Dumballs Road development hopefully.

Kyle

This is going to be a lovely building, it's a little bit under our radar on this forum I think. I'm not sure if it's the type of building or where it is, but it will add to the footfall between the city centre and the Dumballs road area, and will help the whole Dumballs Road development hopefully.

Cheers Kyle. Totally agree that it's under the radar, it looks like a very interesting and quite a significant building. Dumballs road will be so much more 'on the map' when this is up and running only 18 months from now. With all that is planned for the Dumballs road area it could be totally transformed a decade from now. It's a great location afterall, the river front, a connection between city centre and the bay - bring it on!

I had a look at it the other day. I was surprised by how much space was left at the back between the building and Canal park. I know this is for the car park. But I thought the building may have made a contribution to feel of Canal Park, but it think it may prove so far away that it has little visual impact.

Me
I had a look at it the other day. I was surprised by how much space was left at the back between the building and Canal park. I know this is for the car park. But I thought the building may have made a contribution to feel of Canal Park, but it think it may prove so far away that it has little visual impact.

I think there are a couple of smaller single storey buildings (creche/gym) planned on the park side ... they also talk about 'potential future expansion' ...

It really is a good looking building and will definitely help the Dumballs road development.

I'm in university with a guy currently working on it, he said they've had a bit if problems with the piling for it. Site investigation suggested there was a firm strata at about 20m, but when they drilled down they hit pockets of water and had to undertake further site analysis... He says that in some areas there are piles over 50m, some close to 80

Kyle

I would hope that this would help in pushing the city centre southward.

I'm not too sure about Colleges. Is it purely for technical/GNVQ type stuff? I generally think it's better to keep 6 formers in school and take their A levels there. It's very much a class divide in England and Wales. The middle classes send their kids to schools with 6 forms, the working classes have to make do with Secondaries that end at 16. I presume having one gigantic college represents a cost saving?

Not many changes - but any old excuse to take a stroll down Dumballs rd eh!

7th March..

This should be pretty good judging on the architects previous designs. However I do wish it was in a more prominent place in the city centre.

Perhaps it will spur more development in the are. As I've said before I'd prefer to see more sixth formers stay at their local schools, but we'll see what this offers.

16th March..

20th March..

Thanks for the updates!

I love the fact that in the plan the roof is essentially one massive solar panel, great to see that kind of commitment to renewable energy.

Citypedia Cardiff

The transformation of Dumballs Road over the last 15 years can give hope yo any run down end of the City.
Taffside living working studyin is flowing in the right direction..
What is the future progress for the river Taff

Well, there's still A LOT of work to be done to transform the whole of it... just look at the other side of the road!

Can somebody take some more generally around the site when next down there please? It would be interesting to see more of the context!

26th March..

Is there a way to post photos direct from a mobile (in this instance, an iPhone)?

I walk past this building on a daily basis and since it is now still light on my walk home I thought I'd try to post an update. The instructions from Paul on the historic photos thread only seem to cover posting from the web, as far as I can tell.

you'd need to upload it to a photo sharing website - flickr, imgurl, photobucket etc. and then link the photo that way

Yep I think posting a photo from your phone is possible via the likes of flickr, but a pretty fiddly business. I upload photos to flickr from my phone and then it's pretty straightforward to get them on here once back in front of my PC.

Maybe a moment here for a rallying call to say the more photo updates the better to the *1,000's looking in on an hourly basis!!
* ok tens on a daily basis!!

Thanks both - I will investigate that once home tonight!

28th April 2014...

so there is going to be a crèche and a carpark right? Do you have any more recent pictures?

Yes

A college nursery,car park,restaurant,coffee shop,retail shops,gym and LRCs (Student Library's).

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM