CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ah the good old days - when everything was in black and white except Cardiff City who were in Blue!

A recent video on another thread got me thinking about buildings we've lost and times gone by! there's so many old photos/videos out there and I hope you'll join me in sharing some here.
I'll get the ball rolling with some canals..

OK so this thread isn't just canals - oh no! it's the good, the bad and the ugly of Cardiff's yesteryear! (all yesteryear photos are welcome from the Romans upto the loss of Ninian Park R.I.P.) please help me make it a must for anyone interested in the evolution of our fine city..

Re: Ah the good old days - when everything was in black and white except Cardiff City who were in Bl

I've never worked out how to post pictures here. Is there an idiot's guide somewhere?

Re: Ah the good old days - when everything was in black and white except Cardiff City who were in Bl

Ash
I've never worked out how to post pictures here. Is there an idiot's guide somewhere?

Hi Ash - good question.... Many moons ago I did a post on this but that's how long we've been around I can't find it now so I'll try and make it quite simple.

When you see an image on the web and right click it you will have an option to copy image url when that option is selected it's in your computers memory so you can paste it on this forum between the code [imq] and [/imq] and heh presto that picture appears! but you can do a preview message first if you want to check it works.

OK one very important thing about the instructions above it's [img] not [imq] I had to show it with a q not a g or it thinks the word and is a photo!! - oh and the text needs to be in normal black colour.

anyway it would be great to get more photographic contributions on here I hope my instructions haven't put anyone off!

An atmospheric photo of the Glamorganshire Canal where it joined the docks.

Do any of the canals still run under the streets? Not going to happen but it would be amazing to have some canals through town again.

A map from a Baedeker guide but that famous German efficiency failed them with the New Theatre, it is the wrong side of the Feeder. Nice map all the same.

I will try to remember to scan a few of the pictures I have.

In the city only one bit of canal infrastructure remains, I believe, a underpass near to Cardiff Castle that allows pedestrians to go under North Road by the old Bank of Wales/WDA offices is part of the canal.

Simon_SW17

Do any of the canals still run under the streets? Not going to happen but it would be amazing to have some canals through town again.

There are a few that still have water in them. The docks feeder runs in a culvert down the centre of Churchill Way. There's water in the Glamorganshire Canal at the Melingriffith Nature reserve and the feeder between the Bute East dock and Roath basin exists but is heavily culverted. You can see a bit of it by the multi-storey car-park in the bay.

The Mill leat in Bute Park is in the process of being refilled. It may even of happened already.

I think there was talk at one time of opening the Churchill Way culvert but nothing came of it.

Paul thanks for the idiot's guide - I'll have a look to see what I've got!

This is the bottom stretch of the Glamorganshire Canal the last section of the canal to close, in December 1951. This photo was taken on 10 May 1921. The canal in the photo is now canal park between Dumballs road and butetown. I had to look long and hard to even recognise the area!

to help you further: at the bottom right is Windsor Esplanade; top left is Loudoun Sq and the bridge midway is James St.

Mattress from Grangetown" />

In 1952 Paul could have got a bed made in Grangetown!

The old Ebeneser chapel in Paradise Place. Look hard enough in the original part of the Saint David's Centre and you'll find a plaque marking the spot.

The former circus building in Wood Street in 1907 - in use as the 3,000 seat Wood Street Congregationalist Church. They were a godly lot in Temperance Town! The clue's in the name, I suppose!

Hooray! I can post pictures!

Old Arms Park" />
The old Arms Park had a strange brutal grace and beauty, scan of a old postcard.
1900 south end St Mary Street, Cardiff" />
Most of the buildings are still present it is the street scene that is so different.
Old Town Hall, Cardiff" />
Think this was demolished when the new City Hall was built. Notice the ball on the roof marking the state of the tide.
Echo Offices" />
The old newspaper offices in St Mary street, don't think this building still exists.
Gwalia" />
Paddle steamers were amazing and would still be a draw for tourists
Penarth Ferry" />
Even to Penarth!
Bus builders Cardiff" />
Amazing what was made locally back at the end of WWII
1952 Aerial view Cardiff" />
1952 aerial view of the new Churchill Way that covered the Feeder.
1952 Aerial view Cardiff" />
1952 and no Glass Needle, who would have guessed?

Thanks for the instruction Paul.

We even had our own local flour - "Kardov"!

Some great Photos! Just what I was hoping for. Nice to see maybe my instructions got you up n running ash, Hopefully no stopping you now!

Buildings displaced by the magnificent Capitol Centre.

The Cory Hall, YMCA and the Caricature Puppet Theatre

The Capitol Cinema & New Continental Resteraunt

And just opposite, Queen Street station being demolished in 1973

The platforms at Queen Street station looking towards Cardiff General (Central)

I came across these the other day and find them fascinating. They're the orginal plans for the National Museum. I'm wondering at what stage the decided to ditch the tower in favour of the dome we see today?

For comparison purposes here it is, as built.

This is a bloody brilliant thread btw.

Cheers Rhodri - I think it's got great potential. Thanks to all contributors thus far and hats off to Ash - I can't even find planning apps on that pesky cardiff council website for developments that are current - and he comes up with those plans from the year dot!!

paul cardiffwalesmap
Cheers Rhodri - I think it's got great potential. Thanks to all contributors thus far and hats off to Ash - I can't even find planning apps on that pesky cardiff council website for developments that are current - and he comes up with those plans from the year dot!!

You obviously haven't discovered http://archiseek.com !

Here's a few more!

The original plans for Univesity College, Cardiff

Two of the entries in the 1880 competition to design the central library

Richmond Road English Congregationalist Church - destroyed in the blitz. The site is now occupied by
Eglwys y Crwys.

Proposed Church and Vicarage of Saint James the Great. I'm guessing this was planned for the site of St James Church on Newport Road (now redundant) - although the design seems far grander than what's there.

Some lost Cinemas starting with the Avenue in Ely.

It's twin in the east - the County in Rhumney

The first purpose built cinema in Wales - the Globe in Wellfield Road

The Electric in Queen Street - closed as early as 1921

The Plaza, Gabalfa 1928-1981

The only known picture of the Rialto in Whitchurch

The Tivoli / Llandaff Cinema, Llandaff North - now a Vauxhall garage.

What is now the Cardiff Fashion Quarter was in 1923 the BBC's first home in Wales. Before that it was the Castle cinema.

The avenue is beautifully Art Deco. What were they thinking of

Jantra
The avenue is beautifully Art Deco. What were they thinking of

I know! It's incredible how such a great building could become so disfigured - covered in cheap cladding, holes knocked everywhere and a forest of radio masts on the roof. It takes a lot of imagination to see it as it once was.

Is it still there ash? If so where is it?

Jantra

Cowbridge Road West. This is what became of it. Tragic.

These are great Ash - many thanks

Ash
Jantra

Cowbridge Road West. This is what became of it. Tragic.

Let's get the pitchforks out....

NB the only saving grace is that it must still be underneath

Here's a photo of the Queen's Cinema in the city centre ...

A few more cinemas starting with the Central on the Hayes

The Coronet on Cathays Terrace

The Coliseum - the site now occupied by Castle Bingo on Cowbridge Rd. East

The original single story Gaiety on City Rd. Still standing... just!

The King's / Grand / Palace / Hippodrome - now the Gatekeeper pub on Westgate Street

The end of the line for Rhiwbina's Monico.

Is the gaity now spin city/bowling? The coronet is also another gem

I wouldnt say the Gaiety is now spin city, as spin city is itself from the 'good old days', but yes the two are the same building in redeveloped form.

Some internal pics here:

[url}http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/theatres-cinemas/61125-gaiety-cardiff-may-2011-a.html[/url]

Some local ales...

The old Sophia Gardens Pavilion

Who would've thought that a heavy snowfall would see the death of that venue! I saw Peter Gabriel their - a long long time ago!

The Pageant of Wales (1909)

Starring the Marchioness of Bute as "Dame Wales"!

Cardiff Arms Park down the years.

The original hotel

The Cricket field and pavilion

The first Rugby ground grandstand

The old south stand and east enclosure

The Commonwealth Games (1958)

The 'new' Cardiff Arms Park

Michael Jackson concert at the National Stadium (1992)

The ever-changing faces of Bridge Street and Mill Lane.

There had been a lot of old photos on Wales online recently over the quiet Easter period. I thought this was worth sharing as it builds upon the cinema shots above:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiffs-ghost-cinemas-incredible-pictures-7028299

Lovely stuff

Here's another one.

Mill Lane market. Trolly buses, swimming in Roath Park lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJB65tm7paM

Cardiff in 1968 and now -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-now-1968-2014how-wales-7153626

What a shocking loss the fire station in Westgate St was. Also a shame that the similar style building across the road (where the ramp up to the Milstad is now) had to go. I'm sure it was this building that housed the DHSS and not Jacksons as the Echo states.

On a side note the building of the Milstad had quite a profound effect on the architecture around that area. As well as the building mentioned above the Empire Pool and the TA building were also demolished. Both were striking buildings and good examples of their kind. Also I would imagine that the former national stadium - if it had survived - would now be feted as one of the best British examples of brutalism. Despite the masses of concrete it had a certain grace.

Karl
What a shocking loss the fire station in Westgate St was.

Agree. Such a proud building.

Agree about both buildings in Westgate St .

The Milstad was a spectacular own goal as it entirely buggered up Westgate Street , one of the few streets in Cardiff which had a real urban feel of some quality. The area round the stadium is an absolute disgrace, and it's depressing that it just seems to be accepted , presumably because it's round a rugby stadium. Would everyone be so relaxed about the brutal squalor of the area if Milstad was , say, a concrete factory or a Tory HQ?

Not sure I agree about the Empire Pool..... it was Nuremburg not brutalist , and a decidedly bargain- basement example at that.

Sorry...misread your post.

Not sure about the old stadium though, as it happens...look at the bits left; they don't exactly lift the spirits... or interest one too much . I don't think it can really be described as brutalist...it was just a stadium made out of concrete, which is rather different.

Karl
Also a shame that the similar style building across the road (where the ramp up to the Milstad is now) had to go. I'm sure it was this building that housed the DHSS and not Jacksons as the Echo states.

You're right about the DHSS but in the days when students could sign on for benefits in college vacations they used to use Jackson's Hall as well.

I signed on at Jackson's Hall immediately after graduating from Uni.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM