CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cardiff Pointe progress

Can't believe we haven't got one of these already so here it is! following the residential side of the Cardiff Pointe development specifically. Hopefully this thread ends with the two towers that will be overhanging the bay (why is the best always kept til last eh!)
Anyway some pics to follow but this is the March Hellieye to get us going...

and for those of you who wonder where the sports village is (ok most people know but I've got to give my maps a plug!! Then I hope that this map will be of assistance...

http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com/cardiffsportsvillage.htm

Re: Cardiff Pointe progress

The houses look rather nice, with every other one having a rooftop garden (not much to look at mind). Although the yellowish render looks like it could start looking quite cheap after a bit of serious weather!

Good find Paul.

It's nicer to see actual physical progress rather than an array of jazzed up artists impressions.

This will certainly be a distinctive part of the city to walk around, especially if similar architectural styles are used in adjacent developments. While we have isolated sections of architecture dotted around the city juxtaposed to older builds (Pontcanna for example) this level of high density builds in this style could provide an urban environment not found elsewhere. It remains to be seen whether the various residential developments in the area (this one, Prospect Place, and others not yet started) can combine to give a unified feel across the ISV, or whether wide roads, swimming pools and large retain units means they remain disjointed. I hope a distinct feel of neighborhood across the developments arises, but we will have to wait.

How do you think it will end up?

16th March..

I know it's the law that all new developments have to have bloody awful names - but what is the point(e) of the 'e' in Cardiff Pointe? It seems point(e)less.

It's exclusive. A step above the rest.

Good Pointe.

I've never understood why people give tacky Italian names like Alto Lusso to new developments. You can't go wrong with naming something in Welsh (most of the time)

Mathew Hywel
I've never understood why people give tacky Italian names like Alto Lusso to new developments. You can't go wrong with naming something in Welsh (most of the time)

Or English, line tiger bay for example. A name known throughout the maritime world.

I think that a mix of English and Welsh names is right for Wales.

My own opinion, for some reason, it just seems more appropriate to name cul-de-sacs and suburban developments in Welsh; and more urban or high rise ones in English. No rational reason - its just what seems more natural.

Sometimes Welsh names just seem tacky - I've not a fan of Porth Teigr for instance - in the same way contrived "Alto Lusso" or "Celestia" ones do.

RandomComment
I think that a mix of English and Welsh names is right for Wales.

My own opinion, for some reason, it just seems more appropriate to name cul-de-sacs and suburban developments in Welsh; and more urban or high rise ones in English. No rational reason - its just what seems more natural.

I agree with you. I'm not sure why really - but the Welsh names in places like the Rhiwbina Garden Village seem pretty and appropriate where things like "Tŷ Pont Haearn" feel forced. Part of the problem may be that developers think of an English name and translate it rather than looking for historic field names etc.

The points is that both Welsh and English have been spoken in Cardiff for the best part of a thousand years and the names should reflect that. One thing I'm not a fan of is giving new streets bilingual names. Unless there's a good historical reason such as Heol y Plwca / City Road or Womanby Street / Stryd y Fuwch Goch or you're referring to a major road I think names should be in one language or the other.

What is the phasing plan for the Cardiff pointe development? I've tried looking for drawings/plans for this but can't seem to find any. Can any one here help? Thanks.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM