CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Traws Link Cymru

Hello.

This is a new campaign in the western half of Wales to reinstate the Carmarthen - Aberystwyth and Afon Wen - Bangor rail lines. Reopening the lines would connect 4 important university towns and provide a figure-8 network across the country. On Wednesday we achieved a very positive 30 minute debate in the Senedd. The proposals also include making use of the Swansea district line with a new station at Morriston to improve journey times and for quicker access to Cardiff.

Have a look at the website (in very early development) www.trawslinkcymru.org.uk. If you're free next Thursday 20 March then come along to Victoria Hall in Lampeter at 1930 to show your support. Free refreshments and a screening of rare footage of the last few passenger journeys in 1964.

And before Jantra et al laugh this off as some pipe dream, there is broad support for this project and reports are currently being prepared into its viability.

Re: Traws Link Cymru

Mathew Hywel
Hello.

This is a new campaign in the western half of Wales to reinstate the Carmarthen - Aberystwyth and Afon Wen - Bangor rail lines. Reopening the lines would connect 4 important university towns and provide a figure-8 network across the country. On Wednesday we achieved a very positive 30 minute debate in the Senedd. The proposals also include making use of the Swansea district line with a new station at Morriston to improve journey times and for quicker access to Cardiff.

Have a look at the website (in very early development) www.trawslinkcymru.org.uk. If you're free next Thursday 20 March then come along to Victoria Hall in Lampeter at 1930 to show your support. Free refreshments and a screening of rare footage of the last few passenger journeys in 1964.

And before Jantra et al laugh this off as some pipe dream, there is broad support for this project and reports are currently being prepared into its viability.

Whoa!

Why bring me in to it. I'd be all for it as long as the money is there. I also want a Cardiff underground but appreciate it isn't going to happen.

Like Jantra I'm open-minded in principle but there are a few obvious problems.

The line-speeds on the Milford Haven and Manchester Railway (the Carmarthen - Aber section) were notoriously slow. There would probably have to be some major deviations from the old track-bed to achieve reasonable journey times.

Parts of the route are currently used by the Gwili Railway (Carmarthen) and the WHR (Caernarfon). Other sections have been built over or are used as long distance footpaths noteably Lon Eifion.

Where there's a will there's a way, of course, and none of the above are terminal problems. There's no reason not to have a feasibilty study for the whole route. I think I'm right in saying there already have been studies carried out on the Bangor - Caernarfon section.

Indeed, the Bangor-Caernarfon line at 7 miles and an estimated cost of £40m is the most likely and feasible first phase. I believe the WHR is looking at it. Then there's the line from Gaerwen to Llangefni which is also looking promising.

As for the Aber-Carms section, the vast majority of the line has been left untouched by development. The Gwili Railway has preserved the old line to Llanpumsaint and 21 miles of trackbed between Aberystwyth and Tregaron have been railbanked by the Ystwyth Trail. The biggest engineering challenges would be getting the line into Aberystwyth, but like you say, nothing is insurmountable.

A new, straighter route through Alltwalis would be the preferred choice as the old route between Carmarthen and Pencader is very meandering.

With the merger of hospital services in west Wales covering an unrealistically vast area, poor roads and a ridiculous bus service from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth via Aberaeron which can take up to 2.5 hours, this should be a priority for the WG.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM