CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Council infighting

Infighting at the council continues. As it stands Goodway might be on his way... although I think there is still a long distance to go. Phil Bale, new council leader, does not seem to want him about. I guess if Goodway does depart it will shake the council vision on development.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/five-cabinet-members-cardiff-council-6867251

Re: Council infighting

It is extraordinary how deep and long-lasting the division in the council Labour group is. It dates back to the formation of the unitary authority and the rivalry between the former members of the city council and those who sat on the old South Glamorgan council. That's almost twenty years ago!

It's difficult to see how the rift will be healed while Cllr. Goodway remains in City Hall. He was a very effective leader back in the 1990s delivering a lot of big projects for the city but he's clearly an incredibly divisive figure.

Ash
It is extraordinary how deep and long-lasting the division in the council Labour group is. It dates back to the formation of the unitary authority and the rivalry between the former members of the city council and those who sat on the old South Glamorgan council. That's almost twenty years ago!

It's difficult to see how the rift will be healed while Cllr. Goodway remains in City Hall. He was a very effective leader back in the 1990s delivering a lot of big projects for the city but he's clearly an incredibly divisive figure.

I'm not sure if it's a direct continuation of that old in-fighting (most have those protagonists have left the arena), so much as the result of the style and attitudes of the Goodway faction since emerging victorious.

I find it interesting that the 'gang of five' includes 3 new Councillors, while a couple of old stalwarts in the Cabinet seem less perturbed.

Mmm
Ash

I'm not sure if it's a direct continuation of that old in-fighting (most have those protagonists have left the arena), so much as the result of the style and attitudes of the Goodway faction since emerging victorious.

I find it interesting that the 'gang of five' includes 3 new Councillors, while a couple of old stalwarts in the Cabinet seem less perturbed.

True - I'm very surprised to see people like Huw Thomas in there. Political naivity, possibly?

I'm not really too familiar with the newer bunch so I can't figure out their motivations as yet - although from what little I've seen/heard Ashley Govier's interests seem more entrepreneurial than philanthropic ...

... errmmm ... unless that's you Ash - in which case I would say a fine figure of a politician

Mmm
I'm not really too familiar with the newer bunch so I can't figure out their motivations as yet - although from what little I've seen/heard Ashley Govier's interests seem more entrepreneurial than philanthropic ...

... errmmm ... unless that's you Ash - in which case I would say a fine figure of a politician

Not Guilty!

New Council Cabinet been announced

Goodway out
Govier Out
Lynda Thorne Out
Huw Thomas Out

Peter Bradbury In
D'eath In
Susan Elsmore In
Bob Derbyshire In

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/russell-goodway-out-cardiff-councils-6876646

Is anyone else concerned about this shadowy de'ath character?
Presumably he is the councillor for the junction of city rd, Albany rd, crwys rd, mackintosh place and Richmond road.

Colour Wolf
Presumably he is the councillor for the junction of city rd, Albany rd, crwys rd, mackintosh place and Richmond road.

I'm not sure which ward he represents but there's a picture of him on the council website.

Ash
Colour Wolf

I'm not sure which ward he represents but there's a picture of him on the council website.

Plasnewydd, which probably does go as far as death junction. How pleasing.

Unusual name though, I wonder what the origin is.

Should we bd worried about thd loss of Goodway in the cabinet? I know there are very different views on him, but what ever you think, I feel that he does, and would have delivered, on some of the major projects. He's still counillor, but will he be awkward in not sharing contacts and assisting in progress? I know very little about Bale, but understand he's taken on this role, effectively what goodway was when leader?

Colour Wolf

......Unusual name though, I wonder what the origin is.

Check it out here

cOUNCILLOR gretta marshall has resigned from the labour group and defected to the indy's

LOL
Colour Wolf

......Unusual name though, I wonder what the origin is.

Check it out here

I was once treated by a doctor de'ath.

I can only conclude that Goodway taking a back seat is a negative move for the Coal Exchange plans. Does anyone have a more optimistic stance on this view?

I don't, but I don't see why Goodway remaining would be particularly positive for the Coal Exchange either....

Wizard
I can only conclude that Goodway taking a back seat is a negative move for the Coal Exchange plans. Does anyone have a more optimistic stance on this view?

Bale may actually be more interested in arts / culture / community ???

Also, Goodway's proved himself in recent comments to be a cultural ignoramus and as such I'm pleased to see him take a back seat at a time when we need to assess value against price.

Wizard
I can only conclude that Goodway taking a back seat is a negative move for the Coal Exchange plans.

If so, good! His plans for the Coal Exchange were a total disgrace. I suspect it was this bit of hubris that led to his nemesis. A magnificent building may have been saved. Good luck to Cllr. Bale.

Phil Bale works/worked at the Assembly office of Julie Morgan - I suspect that Russell Goodway's previous antagonistic dealings with the Labour Assembly administration and in particular antipathy towards Rhodri Morgan will have played a big part in this

and the flip side is that there may now be some potential for improvement in the cohesion and consistency between the Council and the Welsh Government

Someone with more friends in the WAG might be better placed to get the ball rolling on the whole city region approach.
It'd be nice to know what clr bales priorities were though.

Coal exchange, bus station and conference centre were goodways big economic development projects more recently,... Hopefully these won't just be put on the back boiler...

It appears the Labour group are rearanging the deckchairs.

Plans to free up space in Cardiff council’s offices are now being seen at the highest level with separate offices for cabinet members set to be scrapped and replaced with an open plan layout.

Councillor Phil Bale, who became the new leader of the council less than a week ago, wants to change the way his cabinet will work. The move will see his new cabinet, made up of eight other councillors, work alongside each other in an open-plan style on County Hall’s fifth floor.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/open-plan-way-working-cardiff-6911557

Along with Karl's new kitchen this has to be one of the most exciting devlopments of recent times.

Meanwhile, while I don't think much of Cllr Mcevoy - this is an intersting read on the internal politics of the Labour group.

http://dailywales.net/2014/03/27/the-king-is-dead-long-live-the-king/

Do councillors receive any training in how to run projects?

I think most local authorities use the Prince 2 methodology, I'd have thought they should at least be trained on how that works and where they fit into it?

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM