CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: General developments

Not more PFI, when will our politicians learn this is not a good use of taxpayers money. If you're going to invest, then borrow using gilts @ 2-3% rather than having to pay a private sector WACC of 10-12%. Whoever recommended this type of finance first (I think Lyndon suggested plaid) need a radical rethink and basic lessons in financial appraisal, whoever followed this example are equally inept. Who is the fool, the fool or the fool that follows him?

"In 1992 PFI was implemented for the first time in the UK by the Conservative government of John Major ... PFI expanded considerably in 1996 and then expanded much further under Labour, resulting in criticism from many trade unions, elements of the Labour Party, the Scottish National Party (SNP), and the Green Party ..."

You're in excellent company

Simplistically it's all an accounting ruse to keep the liabilities 'off balance sheet' and, er, have erm, fixed indexed linked payments from the Government for decades to come to pay off the relevant infrastructure project undertaken.

If it sounds like a loan and looks like a loan and walks along the very edge of the definition of being a loan then just remember that it is NOT a loan - it's off balance sheet - so don't call it a loan.

Mmm
"In 1992 PFI was implemented for the first time in the UK by the Conservative government of John Major ... PFI expanded considerably in 1996 and then expanded much further under Labour, resulting in criticism from many trade unions, elements of the Labour Party, the Scottish National Party (SNP), and the Green Party ..."

You mean they are in excellent company

Wizard
Simplistically it's all an accounting ruse to keep the liabilities 'off balance sheet' and, er, have erm, fixed indexed linked payments from the Government for decades to come to pay off the relevant infrastructure project undertaken.

If it sounds like a loan and looks like a loan and walks along the very edge of the definition of being a loan then just remember that it is NOT a loan - it's off balance sheet - so don't call it a loan.

Rather more significantly, it's the only way the Welsh Government can borrow at the moment.

Besides it's not a PFI, it's a "non-profit distribution" deal of the type first used by the SNP in Scotland, where the costs to the government are fixed at the start of the contract, instead of the taxpayer being stung for new costs all the way through as in PFI.

Lyndon
Wizard

Rather more significantly, it's the only way the Welsh Government can borrow at the moment.

Besides it's not a PFI, it's a "non-profit distribution" deal of the type first used by the SNP in Scotland, where the costs to the government are fixed at the start of the contract, instead of the taxpayer being stung for new costs all the way through as in PFI.

Costs for services delivered are fixed at the start of pfi contracts. It pfi in all but name. Its bad value for the taxpayer. By all means borrow for infrastructure, but do it using the lowest cost of finance?

Jantra
Mmm

I stand corrected Comrade

Mmm
Jantra
Mmm

I stand corrected Comrade

I have not been checking frequently, so I could be behind the times, but it looks like the council have a new planning portal under Beta testing. I seem to remember someone saying their website hadn't been updated recently? Maybe that's because they have a new one? I could be wrong...

Usefully, it has a section on decisions as well as applications, but I've not looked into it in detail.

https://new.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Planning/Recent-decisions-and-applications/Pages/default.aspx

This isn't really about General Developments - but this is the nearest we have to an open thread.

I'm getting really fed up of the piecemeal, incoherent traffic planning on James Street and Clarence Rd.

Following the instilation of a new crossing to serve Mount Stuart School there are now no fewer than six seperate pedestrian crossings in the space of a couple of hundred yards between Clarence Road bridge and Bute Street. That would be bad enough but instead of a series of co-ordinated controlled crossings - it's a random mix of contolled and uncontrolled (zebra) crossings that's causing confusuion, traffic snarl-ups and aggresive driving from frustrated motorists.

I agree with you Ash. James St is a particularly hostile road to either cycle or drive down.

On a typical day the cycle lanes ALWAYS have cars or delivery vans parked in them (especially by the bookies). There are invariably swivel eyed aggressive pedestrians walking out onto the road without looking and shouting at passing traffic.

In addition, I find that there often seems to be a serious waft of cannabis drifting around from behind the former Spar store.

Maybe all these things are interlinked!

While you may well be right about the number, and poor coordination, of the crossings around there, the new raised crossing linking the south of canal park to the path west of the primary school is a great addition from a cycling perspective. Previously it was the worst section of the route from the ISV to the city centre (via canal park), now the route is largely continuous with no awkward bits to deal with, although the Loudoun Sq section is still less than ideal.

To follow this up, the problem is now that the cycling provision is patchy at either end of the route, in both the ISV and the city centre. I look forward to improvements!

Me
While you may well be right about the number, and poor coordination, of the crossings around there, the new raised crossing linking the south of canal park to the path west of the primary school is a great addition from a cycling perspective

Funily enough I think the location of new crossing is the most sensible and logical of the lot. At least one of the pelican crossings should have been removed though - there are three crossings in the space of around a hundred yards.

Me
I have not been checking frequently, so I could be behind the times, but it looks like the council have a new planning portal under Beta testing. I seem to remember someone saying their website hadn't been updated recently? Maybe that's because they have a new one? I could be wrong...

Usefully, it has a section on decisions as well as applications, but I've not looked into it in detail.

https://new.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Planning/Recent-decisions-and-applications/Pages/default.aspx

Although the webpage looks a different design, the weekly lists of decisions and applications have been available on their website for years.

No sooner do I criticise James St as a bad road to cycle down, that I see it has been entirely re-tarmaced and the cycle lanes have been widened to an almost obscenely generous size. Full marks to the Council!

If someone is reading this forum and acting on improvements tout-suite, might I next launch into a tirade about Cardiff Airport, the Coal Exchange, the lack of an Arena and the surface of the Oval Basin....

PS Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with the security codes to post a message. It's like a bad day on Ticketmaster.

Wizard
No sooner do I criticise James St as a bad road to cycle down, that I see it has been entirely re-tarmaced and the cycle lanes have been widened to an almost obscenely generous size. Full marks to the Council!

If someone is reading this forum and acting on improvements tout-suite, might I next launch into a tirade about Cardiff Airport, the Coal Exchange, the lack of an Arena and the surface of the Oval Basin....

PS Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with the security codes to post a message. It's like a bad day on Ticketmaster.

I find I need to use the security codes about five times per post. I also find that a lot of my posts are blocked as 'spam' that's the bloody despot that is paul exercising his power.

Can you add the PDR to that list

may have missed a few topics somewhere so please tell me if there is a post elsewhere

two queries
what is going up just up from the zurich offices on dumballs road, looks impressive, modern design.

also, where the old warehouse on the corner of Callaghan square was a new tent type structure has gone up, any ideas?

cheers

photos for those of us who aren't in Cardiff!!

eric - Dumballs road is the new College and the tent is the no fit state circus.

Redragon
photos for those of us who aren't in Cardiff!!

I'll pop down that way tomorrow for an update!

for those 'out of Cardiff' that look in here - I'm often out and about taking photos that may (or may not) be of interest...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

ta, Cardiff!

It told me my post was spam and wouldnt post it! Was just about pauls photos...

I have to admit I have some sympathy with the protestors on this one.

http://www.caeraugreens.com/2014/05/save-ely-library-building-from.html?spref=tw

Ash
I have to admit I have some sympathy with the protestors on this one.

http://www.caeraugreens.com/2014/05/save-ely-library-building-from.html?spref=tw

Its hideous and won't be missed. Whilst they are at it bulldoze the shops by ty cefn road as well.

I wouldn't describe it as beautiful, but I do think it's reasonably attractive, of its time and considerably more thoughtful and interesting than its intended replacement. I have much sympathy for those who'd prefer to keep it.

It's 'ok' and that's about it. Not sure why they're demolishing it anyway, can someone elaborate? The latter is particularly uninspiring but libraries themselves are going to be continuously threatened.

Also not sure they can blame Phil Bale! Give the guy a break!

The old one's a fine building.

The new one is horrifically banal...all the way down to the 80s style red windows. Really depressing

I like the sound of this

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/interactive-model-showcasing-key-landmarks-7151631

I used to love the model in the old Tube Cardiff Bay visitor centre

Kyle
I used to love the model in the old Tube Cardiff Bay visitor centre

I wonder what happened to it. Was it broken up or is it in storage somewhere?

Not sure if this has been discussed on here. Some social housing apartments in place of Canton police station

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/former-cardiff-police-station-demolished-7163506

Next step in the future of Cardiff's Vulcan pub as museum granted planning permission for relocation

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/next-step-future-cardiffs-oldest-7174000

I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing how Saint Fagans changes over the next few years. It's a great attraction which I love to bits but the indoor gallery spaces are tired and circulation through the site is a bit random.

The plans look as if they will give a much greater feeling of coherence to the site with clearly defined rural, urban and history zones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-27595736

It looks very much like the model from the Cardiff Bay visitor centre to me!

I wasn't sure where to put this but I suppose here is as good as any. it would appear this model has a massive Havannah Quay development and the central square/station southside area as being akin to Battery Park

I don't think I've seen this mentioned before.

"During my visit, I also heard about plans for a new high-rope facility over the white water course, providing visitors and residents in Cardiff with an even greater range of adventure sports on the Cardiff Bay waterfront."

http://cardiffleadersblog.wordpress.com/

Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

Plans have been submitted for a 6 storey office block somewhere between the AA and Lloyds buildings on the south west corner of Callaghan Square. Not sure exactly where and the Council website seems to be down ATM so can't access the planning docs.

Link to story:here.

Ash

"During my visit, I also heard about plans for a new high-rope facility over the white water course, providing visitors and residents in Cardiff with an even greater range of adventure sports on the Cardiff Bay waterfront."

I don't know whether it is the same concept and merely in a different location but plans were approved by the Council Planning Committee meeting in May for a facility in Atlantic Wharf. I only came across it while reading the "Save Llandaff Meadow" papers and cannot even remember what it was called so apologies if it has already been discussed to death elsewhere on here.

sweetfeet
Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

Plans have been submitted for a 6 storey office block somewhere between the AA and Lloyds buildings on the south west corner of Callaghan Square. Not sure exactly where and the Council website seems to be down ATM so can't access the planning docs.

Link to story:here.

The team behind the project proposes to make room by demolishing two existing offices, which it claims are not fit for purpose and underutilise a prime city centre location

its fusion point 1 and 2

seriously, I think this is the building next to trade street cafe

idunno-y
Ash

I don't know whether it is the same concept and merely in a different location but plans were approved by the Council Planning Committee meeting in May for a facility in Atlantic Wharf. I only came across it while reading the "Save Llandaff Meadow" papers and cannot even remember what it was called so apologies if it has already been discussed to death elsewhere on here.

I would assume the Atlantic Wharf facility is the wakeboarding thing that was first applied for a couple of years ago.

Jantra

seriously, I think this is the building next to trade street cafe

I think it might be a different plot that fronts Curran Road, two old buildings in old stone and red brick. I think it is currently Itec, who provide apprenticeships, and their car parking.

Barden
idunno-y
Ash

I would assume the Atlantic Wharf facility is the wakeboarding thing that was first applied for a couple of years ago.

That's the word I was looking for Barden! Thanks!

idunno-y
That's the word I was looking for Barden! Thanks!

Two different things I think. The Atlantic Wharf plan is for is a pully system for watersports. The White Water Centre one appears to be a high rope climbing attraction - similar to this one in Brecon.

http://www.blackmountain.co.uk/ropes/

What would be great for the Bay is a 'Zipworld' type ride from, maybe Sports Village across to Marina or Barrage The one in Snowdon looks epic and would be a great addition there. There is a similar one in Eden Project but I think the Snowdon one is the chocolate.

Seems like they have started work on the apartments on Bute street next to the bay station. Also noticed Admiral are illuminating the top of the building now.

According to Business Traveller website a new Holiday Inn is due to open in the next few weeks at Junction 32 of the M4 - presumably on the old Legacy International site - http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100675/four-uk-holiday-inns-announced

In other news old Fosse unit beneath St David's Hall is now a dodgy looking carvery restaurant and the old Promised Land bar in Windsor Terrace is now another real ale style pub (whose name escapes me) apparently owned by the same company as The Rummer Tavern.

1 2 3
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM