CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Waterhall Housing - LDP Referendum - Fairwater - Neil Mcevoy

thewren

Fairwater/Pentrebane do seem to be getting double shafted compared to other wards with little to no consultation from residents though, I'm glad they're getting a chance to be a nuisance even if that is all they manage.

The city definitely needs expansion and road travel is horrendous, but the lack of clarity on development strategy from the council isn't helping to stem grievances either.

I agree with that entirley. Sadly, people on both sides of the arguement confuse the legitimate concerns of people in Fairwater with the bombast of Neil Mcevoy. In some ways Mcevoy is Russell Goodway's mini-me with like or dislike of his personality driving people's views on important issues.

NIMBYism of the highest order, and a flyer which reads like it's been written by a 5-year-old.

In what universe is demolishing 5-10 houses to allow the reopening an old railway line to serve 1000s of new houses a "mad" idea? Granted Waterhall road isn't wide enough for three lanes because of the large mature trees along it, but if I recall these plans were drawn without the designer (Arup) having visited the route and were only offered as an alternative if the railway line wasn't reopened - IE a ridiculous suggestion to make the railway line sound agreeable.

I live in the area affected and am actually looking forward to seeing this development happen - A shame I missed this thread yesterday or I'd have gone along to see what the outcome of the meeting was... And to see if there were many there, or if it was just scaremongering by a handful of NIMBYs

I wonder what the average age of that room is - from that picture there doesn't look to be anybody under 40... Not an ageist comment, merely an observation

Also, judging by the photos used and the comments attached I would suspect that The Dark Man is either Neil McEvoy or one of his representatives - almost every comment by him has been word for word from the @neiljmcevoy twitter feed

The voice of reason
Here you go, Cambo Dire. The Daily Wales' take on this. How is London, by the way?

"Cardiff’s Local Development Plan (LDP) has been put under scrutiny after residents of the Fairwater district voted overwhelmingly last night to hold a local referendum on the adoption of the plan. The referendum, which will be the first in Cardiff since 2010, will ask electors in the Fairwater ward if they agree that the council’s deposit LDP should be taken forward.

The LDP, which is the master plan for Cardiff’s development until 2026, proposes that between 41,000 and 45,000 new homes will be needed in the city by 2026. Controversially, 19,000 of these new homes are earmarked for green field sites around the fringes of Cardiff. These green fields, which are currently used for farming, would become vast new suburbs.

Opponents of the plans to build on green fields have a number of objections to the LDP. They claim that the council has over-estimated how much the population of Cardiff will grow between 2006 and 2026 and that this over-estimate has meant that the council has planned to build far too many homes.

Furthermore, opponents believe that the loss of irreplaceable agricultural land is short-sighted and will put pressure on food supplies, and that the loss of green spaces at the fringe of the city will have a negative effect on amenity and well-being.

Perhaps the most serious concern for the residents of Cardiff is that by building an extra 45,000 homes by 2026 (there are currently about 135,000 homes in Cardiff) the council will put terrible pressure on the city’s already overstretched infrastructure. Cardiff and Vale University Health Board had the highest bed-occupancy rate in Wales according to recent figures and many of the city’s schools, dentists and GP surgeries are full.

However it is Cardiff’s transport infrastructure that may be put under the greatest pressure if the LDP is adopted. Bottlenecks along Newport Road, Penarth Road, Caerphilly Road and in Llandaf could cause widespread gridlock with even a small increase in traffic. But with the proposed increase in population and housing, Cardiff could grind to a halt.

To avoid ‘Carmageddon’ the council has pinned its hopes on a South Wales Metro to ease pressure on the roads. Unfortunately, neither the Labour government in Cardiff or the Tory/ Lib Dem coalition in Westminster seem keen to fund the electrification of the rail network, which would be vital to the proposed Metro. Cardiff council has plans to introduce Rapid Bus Transit between a new north-west suburb and the city centre. This would exclude most other traffic from Cowbridge Road East, resulting in cars and trucks being displaced onto other routes such as Lansdowne Road and Cathedral Road.

Residents of Fairwater have perhaps the most to lose if the LDP is adopted as at least 5,000 homes are proposed to be built on the green fields between Fairwater, St Fagans and Radyr. Instead of living on the edge of the countryside, with relatively easy access to the city and the M4, residents would find it difficult to travel from their homes by car. A proposal to re-open the rail line between Fairwater and Creigau could, if adopted, see many homes demolished.

The meeting at Ysgol Gyfun Plasmawr attracted hundreds of electors and they voted by 241 to 20 in favour of holding a referendum. Fairwater councillor Neil McEvoy (Plaid Cymru/Party of Wales) told the Daily Wales that dozens of would-be voters were locked out of the meeting due to the limited capacity in the hall.

The referendum result will be non-binding but in the event of overwhelming opposition to the LDP the council may be forced to rethink its proposals. Each of the 22 local authorities in Wales has produced an LDP and there is considerable opposition to the plans throughout the country. Fairwater may be the first of many communities to challenge what opponents of LDPs say is over-development by councils and profiteering by house-builders."

Your bigoted attack on the people of Fairwater will make it into the Daily Wales next time you or the Tax Advisory Group are mentioned in any other media.

Or maybe the Daily Wales will do a piece on you sooner than that and show our thousands of readers just how bigoted London can make a son of the Valleys.

Can we report this guy? also somebody above called the people of Fairwater stupid. that doesnt help either

Report me for what? Suggesting that the Daily Wales run a story on the bigoted comments of a man recently appointed to a public body? There's no mileage in that. I think the public deserves to know about David Phillips' bigoted comments on the elderly and Fairwater residents.
His impartiality, being a Labour supporter, has always been in doubt. Unfortunately for bigots, there is no law against any media outlet reprinting their public comments.

Can we keep things civil, please?

I have some sympathy with both sides in this arguement but threats and invective don't make either point of view look good.

The residents of Fairwater are legaly entitled to hold their referendum. The chances of it changing the council's mind on the basics of the LDP and the Metro plan are pretty slim but describing people who are simply excercising their democratic rights as "hundreds of selfish old residents with too much time on their hands" is beyond the pale in my view.

Similarly, people post here anonomously. Assuming you know who a poster is and then making threats, however mild those threats are, doesn't look good.

EDIT I've only just read Random Comment's explanation of his 'selfish old residents' quote.

I was being tongue-in-cheek, re-writing the Echo headline in the kind of language they use (full of emotive terms and grossly simplifying reality). I was being purposefully provocative. However, I stand by the main thrust of what I was saying.

I'm quite happy to accept that explanation - but I have to admit that's not the way it came across to me.

The voice of reason
Report me for what? Suggesting that the Daily Wales run a story on the bigoted comments of a man recently appointed to a public body? There's no mileage in that. I think the public deserves to know about David Phillips' bigoted comments on the elderly and Fairwater residents.
His impartiality, being a Labour supporter, has always been in doubt. Unfortunately for bigots, there is no law against any media outlet reprinting their public comments.

in what way is he a bigot? he is exercising his right to express his opinion. Perhaps you need to appreciate that people are perfectly entitled to disagreed with the nonsense (and it is nonsense) that you post. by all means attack his post, but leave out the emotional outbursts and personal attacks.

Thats why I had "" marks around that sentence in the original posting. I should have made it clear thats why they were there...

Ash
Can we keep things civil, please?

I have some sympathy with both sides in this arguement but threats and invective don't make either point of view look good.

The residents of Fairwater are legaly entitled to hold their referendum. The chance of it changing the council's mind on the basics of the LDP and the Metro plan are pretty slim but describing people who are simply excercising their democratic rights as "hundreds of selfish old residents with too much time on their hands" is beyond the pale in my view.

Similarly, people post here anonomously. Assuming you know who a poster is and then making threats, however mild those threats are, doesn't look good.

He doesn't post here anonymously. He has been crowing about his education and career on this forum for about ten years.
Why doesn't he turn his attention to London, where he lives, and suggest that about 500,000 houses are built in the countryside immediately surrounding his capital?
He's never lived in Cardiff, he doesn't understand the city, the traffic or the people. He's displaying the bigotry of a typical 'Valleys deserter'. Does he realise that on most days it can take over an hour just to get onto the UHW site and park? Cars, buses, taxis and ambulances queue onto the Gabalfa interchange at times.
IF the Metro was built and there were train services at least four times an hour in each direction from the planned Waterhall development, it might be sustainable. But that looks to be a distant hope.
The roads in Cardiff aren't wide enough for the city to grow. Liverpool, London, Glasgow, Birmingham etc were all huge Victorian cities that shrank in population after WW2 but could cope with the increase in population since 1990. Cardiff wasn't a big city then and doesn't have the capacity in its road infrastructure to cope with much more traffic. Expecting residents of Waterhall or the new suburbs planned in the North of Cardiff to walk or cycle is unrealistic as they are too far out from the centre and the topography is too hilly.
You may have your silly pipe dreams about agglomeration effects but it takes longer NOW to drive into Cardiff in the morning from Thornhill or Rumney than it does catching the train from Caerphilly or Pontyclun. Car use is here to stay unless many billions is spent enlarging an electrified rail-based metro. That is unlikely given the reticence to fund the electrification of the lines that have been here for 150 years.
Just because you are a Whizz-kid with a think tank doesn't mean you can't be wrong.
On this issue, you are wrong, Mr Phillips.

Jantra
The voice of reason

in what way is he a bigot? he is exercising his right to express his opinion. Perhaps you need to appreciate that people are perfectly entitled to disagreed with the nonsense (and it is nonsense) that you post. by all means attack his post, but leave out the emotional outbursts and personal attacks.

He is a bigot because he said:

"Hundreds of selfish old residents with too much time on their hands, and little consideration for younger people struggling to buy a house close to where they work, rushed to a meeting to ensure that people are forced to commute to work from further, that there is more pollution, or jobs go elsewhere and Wales is left worse off".

That is quite a bigoted view about the elderly. Do you understand or do you need me to explain it more thoroughly?

Do you realise the irony in you telling me that people have the right to express themselves and not suffer personal attacks, and then calling what I write "nonsense"?

I'm guessing that you don't understand irony.

The voice of reason

"Hundreds of selfish old residents with too much time on their hands, and little consideration for younger people struggling to buy a house close to where they work, rushed to a meeting to ensure that people are forced to commute to work from further, that there is more pollution, or jobs go elsewhere and Wales is left worse off".

That is quite a bigoted view about the elderly. Do you understand or do you need me to explain it more thoroughly?

it's far from bigoted. it's suggesting that, based on the empirical evidence of the photograph, that the majority are old and that considering they are only interested in their own little fiefdom rather than the city region as whole, then yes they are selfish. as has already been explained, it was said tongue in cheek.

it would help if others appreciate houses need to be built and they need to be built somewhere. it is easy to say don't build any more when you already have a residence, but perhaps you need to also consider the needs of those who currently don't have anywhere to live.

The voice of reason

Do you realise the irony in you telling me that people have the right to express themselves and not suffer personal attacks, and then calling what I write "nonsense"?

you will have to explain as it is lost on me. your post was nonsense, in my opinion. that is not a personal attack on you the poster. perhaps you aren't able to differentiate between the two. if that is the case I apologise.

The voice of reason

you keep on guessing as its pretty much all you've been doing thus far.

my final point. anyone who owns a car cannot ever complain of traffic. perhaps if these harry hardlucks and sally sobstories spent as much energy on a bicycle or shank's pony as they do in bellyaching about how miserable their existence is, then they'd appreciate travel across Cardiff using something other than the velocipede that their arse is inexplicably glued to is actually possible.

Jantra
The voice of reason

it's far from bigoted. it's suggesting that, based on the empirical evidence of the photograph, that the majority are old and that considering they are only interested in their own little fiefdom rather than the city region as whole, then yes they are selfish. as has already been explained, it was said tongue in cheek.

it would help if others appreciate houses need to be built and they need to be built somewhere. it is easy to say don't build any more when you already have a residence, but perhaps you need to also consider the needs of those who currently don't have anywhere to live.

The voice of reason

you will have to explain as it is lost on me. your post was nonsense, in my opinion. that is not a personal attack on you the poster. perhaps you aren't able to differentiate between the two. if that is the case I apologise.

The voice of reason

you keep on guessing as its pretty much all you've been doing thus far.

my final point. anyone who owns a car cannot ever complain of traffic. perhaps if these harry hardlucks and sally sobstories spent as much energy on a bicycle or shank's pony as they do in bellyaching about how miserable their existence is, then they'd appreciate travel across Cardiff using something other than the velocipede that their arse is inexplicably glued to is actually possible.

You manage to combine nonsense, gibberish and gobbledygook in a way that is utterly depressing. Nothing I wrote was nonsense. Just how elderly people, parents or the disabled should manage to get around hilly Fairwater or Pentrebane, or anywhere else for that matter, without a car seems to be beyond your very limited understanding.

I suggest that you google the phrase 'cocaethylene and brain damage' before you embarrass yourself any further.

The voice of reason

You manage to combine nonsense, gibberish and gobbledygook in a way that is utterly depressing. Nothing I wrote was nonsense.

of course it was nonsense. you can't stop development of much needed houses because there may be a few extra cars on the road. I agree with your assessment that Cardiff's infrastructure is not fit for the 21st century but your conclusions are stuck in the past along with the luddites and other resisters of change.

Cardiff needs development and its need this development to grow and prosper. To resist change is to condemn future generations.

The voice of reason

Just how elderly people, parents or the disabled should manage to get around hilly Fairwater or Pentrebane, or anywhere else for that matter, without a car seems to be beyond your very limited understanding.

no one is saying they can't have cars. but if they are allowed cars then so should everyone else. how about the poor residents of Canton having to put up with the extra traffic from those inconsiderate buggers from Pentrebane and Fairwater who insist on driving. If the residents of Pentrebane and Fairwater had any decency, they'd ensure the residents of Canton could drive around unimpeded by themselves using public transport. Canton was there first after all.

Cardiff needs new houses, that is undeniable. where do you propose they are built. I'll hazard a guess, somewhere other than Fairwater and Pentrebane.

the difference between you and say Cambo Dai is that you are looking at your immediate environment only whereas Dai is a little less emotional about it and can review rationally. The argument for building housing near to the work is pretty convincing. Perhaps you can explain why you think building dormitory towns for people to commute in to Cardiff is better for the environment and the economy as a whole rather than building the houses near the work shortening journey times, reducing pollution and creating happier commuters.

The voice of reason

I suggest that you google the phrase 'cocaethylene and brain damage' before you embarrass yourself any further.
my brain is fine thanks, you revert back to your ad hominem attacks though as it suits you well.

Pringle
Exactly do we really want more welsh speakers moving to Cardiff, us English speakers need to protect Fair-water, from the welsh speaking nationalists

Ah sorry, I didn't see the joke...my bad

I'll get my coat

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM