CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Preferred site for Cardiff multi-purpose arena 'due to be secured by July'

The preferred site for a multi-purpose arena in Cardiff is expected to be secured by July as new targets are outlined for some of the city’s key projects.

According to a set of potential targets, listed in a council report due to go before its policy and performance review scrutiny committee tomorrow, the council intends for an outline planning application for the master plan of the arena site to be submitted in December.

A detailed planning application for the arena, made up of a convention centre, indoor arena and exhibition centre, could then be submitted next March.

The Labour administration has been pressing for such a facility since 2012. It estimates the development will create 1,000 jobs during construction and 500 full-time jobs when operational. According to the targets a preferred delivery partner for the project is hoped to be appointed by March. Work on the development could then start in June 2016 and be finished by June 2018.

Targets have also been outlined for the redevelopment of the Central Square area covering the bus station. The council wants to complete the acquisition of the nearby NCP car park site by this June, start designs on options for the Integrated Transport Hub by September and complete designs by November.

A consultation period on the designs for the bus station site will then follow and the findings will go before the council’s cabinet so it can agree on a preferred option by February next year.

An outline application for the Central Square master plan could then be submitted by next May together with the plans for the transport hub.

Managing the future closure of the bus station could start next summer while demolition of Marland House aims to be completed by May 2017 and the demolition of St David’s House by the end of 2018.

The report states that delivering these sort of key projects in the Cardiff Enterprise Zone and the “reinvigoration” of Cardiff Bay will be “crucial” in stimulating the city’s future economic success.

Re: Preferred site for Cardiff multi-purpose arena 'due to be secured by July'

So 4 years before we see anything tangible in either case. The Chinese can build whole new cities in that time. The state and its inappropriate process based approach really does hamper economic development.

It really is disappointing that the pace of change is so slow

You know the crazy thing is that if this was the time-scale that actually happens then that's fine - and it's important to get these massive changes right. But you kind of know that a new plan will be out another year down the line!! I wonder if this will affect the commencement (supposedly june start) of no1 capital square!! (looking forward to the next proposal for the site already!! something 'glassy and slim maybe? )

The conference centre and arena sounds like it'll be a few years away and that hasn't changed from what we thought it would be. It's just an ambition at the moment. It seems that they are in negotiations with someone over land (part or all of Welsh Government's Callaghan Square South land, possibly Network Rail's land south of Central Station, some internal agreement to use the council offices at Atlantic Wharf ?). Who knows, but I guess a site has to be acquired before it's handed over to a developer.

As for Central Square, I don't think (or at least I hope not) this will hold up Number 1 as it's already got a tenant lined up supposedly. It's what happens to all the other plots of land and buildings to the north and east of Number 1 that's going to take a while. Rightacres will complete Number 1 by sometimes in 2017, so sites around it being rady in 2017 and 2018 for future offices adds up. If nothing happens by August we know there are issues as a start date of June was mentioned.

The interesting thing not talked about for a few months is the BBC relocation. Isn't a decision on the preferred site due around now, and Central Square was one of the sites ?

I'm less worried about Central Square.

Kyle
The conference centre and arena sounds like it'll be a few years away and that hasn't changed from what we thought it would be. It's just an ambition at the moment. It seems that they are in negotiations with someone over land (part or all of Welsh Government's Callaghan Square South land, possibly Network Rail's land south of Central Station, some internal agreement to use the council offices at Atlantic Wharf ?). Who knows, but I guess a site has to be acquired before it's handed over to a developer. Part of me thinks that the planning applications by the Welsh Assembly for the offices at plot E04 is just to poke CCC in the eye to say 'do you want this plot or not then, if so hurry the f**k up and buy it'

As for Central Square, I don't think (or at least I hope not) this will hold up Number 1 as it's already got a tenant lined up supposedly. It's what happens to all the other plots of land and buildings to the north and east of Number 1 that's going to take a while. Rightacres will complete Number 1 by sometimes in 2017, so sites around it being rady in 2017 and 2018 for future offices adds up. If nothing happens by August we know there are issues as a start date of June was mentioned.

The interesting thing not talked about for a few months is the BBC relocation. Isn't a decision on the preferred site due around now, and Central Square was one of the sites ?

I'm less worried about Central Square.

Sorry for the double post above, my second post was meant to be an edit of the first one.

Obviously swallowed an idiot pill this morning

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM