CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Public art

I'm fairly agnostic on this. It's not far from the Senedd. Westminster has plenty of statues honouring world statesmen around in Parliament Square - so why not? For me, it depends on how good a work it is. There's a lot of bad public art in the Bay.

I do think there's a tendancy to allow anyone who wants to to errect statues. I'm thinking on the religious gnome on Harbour drive. Hideous!

Redragon

Also, wouldn't make sense to have Callaghan in Callaghan Sq?..

I faintly remembered talk about this when when TB was PM. I just searched on the web but all I can find is the original article from whence I got this memory:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tm_headline=fundraising-bid-for-callaghan-statue&method=full&objectid=18864296&siteid=50082-name_page.html

Being as it is indeed now 2012, it looks as if such a plan for the centenary of his birth has sadly lapsed.

Redragon

And while we're at it, melt down the 'family ones' in the city centre that have absolutely no meaning whatsoever to Cardiff.

Could not agree with you more, for the love of god will someone get rid of those ridiculous neo-soviet style statues. Any visitor could be forgiven for thinking they had wandered into Stalingrad.

As for Mr Glyndwr, its an odd choice really. According to actual history hes about as local to Cardiff as Tom Jones is to Gloucester. However Cardiff could do with a bit of medieval statue pedigree. Even if its a weird modern historical veneer.

You'd have thought that a statute of Jim Callaghan on his eponymous square or one of David Lloyd Geeorge on Boy George Avenue would have happened by now.

That statue on Harbour Drive annoys me every time I pass it, it's so trite and lifeless. Well, I guess I'd be more worried if it came to life, but you know what I mean.

Jantra
Me
Indeed. The Hindu Council of Wales want to put it up. We are talking about a statue of Gandhi on a plinth similar to the Ivor Novello one, with Gandhi holding a book and a stick, in bronze, a bit over three meters tall including the plinth. It is south of craft in the bay, in what is currently hedge by the road. The location was chosen in discussion with the council so I guess it has a good chance of being approved. I wonder if the finance is already in place, or if this will see the start of a fund raising scheme.

what has mahatma gandhi got to do with Cardiff? why would we have a statue of an indian statesman on LGA? I'm fully appreciative of what Gandhi achieved, how he achieved it and what he stood for but I can't see the Cardiff connection.

(cue someone telling me he studied here and single handedly built Cardiff Arms Park in between studying)

It's not about the link between Ghandi and Cardiff it's about the idea of the values and humanity that one person represents and how that links, or at least should, to wider society.

Rhodri
Jantra
Me
Indeed. The Hindu Council of Wales want to put it up. We are talking about a statue of Gandhi on a plinth similar to the Ivor Novello one, with Gandhi holding a book and a stick, in bronze, a bit over three meters tall including the plinth. It is south of craft in the bay, in what is currently hedge by the road. The location was chosen in discussion with the council so I guess it has a good chance of being approved. I wonder if the finance is already in place, or if this will see the start of a fund raising scheme.

what has mahatma gandhi got to do with Cardiff? why would we have a statue of an indian statesman on LGA? I'm fully appreciative of what Gandhi achieved, how he achieved it and what he stood for but I can't see the Cardiff connection.

(cue someone telling me he studied here and single handedly built Cardiff Arms Park in between studying)

It's not about the link between Ghandi and Cardiff it's about the idea of the values and humanity that one person represents and how that links, or at least should, to wider society.

Let's have a statue of Bob Marley then ...

Wizard
You'd have thought that a statute of Jim Callaghan on his eponymous square or one of David Lloyd Geeorge on Boy George Avenue would have happened by now.

I wonder if they've considered moving the LG statue that's opposite the Museum. We don't really need a second one.

As far as Callaghan goes - I think the jury is still out on his record. As a rule of thumb I don't think people should have statues errected in their honour until a few decades after their death. I mean, how many people know who John Batchelor was - other than "that bloke with a traffic cone on his head"?

Ash
Wizard

I wonder if they've considered moving the LG statue that's opposite the Museum. We don't really need a second one.

As far as Callaghan goes - I think the jury is still out on his record. As a rule of thumb I don't think people should have statues errected in their honour until a few decades after their death. I mean, how many people know who John Batchelor was - other than "that bloke with a traffic cone on his head"?

If they moved the LG statue perhaps they could use the spot to move the statue of the 2nd Marquis of Bute from Callaghan Square? Whilst I realise the area was to be called Bute Square his statue seems out of place since they moved it from the then bottom end of St. Mary Street. Maybe change it with one of Jim Callaghan which may be more appropriate with the name of the square.

Rhodri
Jantra
Me

Do you think the wider public will understand the connection then?

I would hope that it may resonate with those who know about the man, his thoughts, legacy and allow those who don't to find out a bit more. But then I am an old lefty romantic!!

Jantra
Do you think the wider public will understand the connection then?

That's an interesting question. Obviously he's well known in the south Asian community and I guess most people north of forty remeber the film. I'm not sure how much Indian history is taught in schools.

For me though it comes back to whether the proposed statue works as a piece of public art. If a well-integrated part of our community want a memorial to someone that's important to them and they're prepared to pay for it, then fine - so long as it's not something like the religious dwarf or the toilet-tile memorial to Captain Scott.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM