CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Centre/Cardiff Bay Developments Model

I know reference to this model has appeared elsewhere but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Can't wait to see this 'live' so's to speak - it really does look impressive. Great to see that it and so many other great models of developments were made by a Cardiff company >Modelmakers (let's face it sometimes all we ever get to see is a model!!) . Mind you in the last sentence of >this it says a permanent home has yet to be found - so not sure when and where we can view it? Surely this needs displaying at a prominent location.

Re: City Centre/Cardiff Bay Developments Model

(I had posted this in the General Developments thread, but have moved it to here)

Two things have stood out for me looking at that model.

The first is that there's nothing for central station southside. If the BBC doesn't go there what else is planned for that area ?

The second is height related. There's plenty of mid-rises, with the Dumballs Road project probably having the most of them, but pulling Alex's point to this thread from the Capital Quarter one, we have no plans for anything that tall any of these city centre projects.

In a way that is probably about right for where Cardiff is at, particularly seeing as much of what is in the model is offices and we have only managed to build and fill a hanful in the last 10 years or so. There's a fair chance based on previous experience that we might not even get what's in the model. If we manage to get all the offices planned on that model and they are occupied then it will be a huge step forward for the city, but the skyscraper geek in me longs for something to go taller than Capital Tower and BT's building. I guess it would have to be a mixed use scheme, hotel and apartments maybe.

Just one building will do.

Kyle
(I had posted this in the General Developments thread, but have moved it to here)

Two things have stood out for me looking at that model.

The first is that there's nothing for central station southside. If the BBC doesn't go there what else is planned for that area ?

The second is height related. There's plenty of mid-rises, with the Dumballs Road project probably having the most of them, but pulling Alex's point to this thread from the Capital Quarter one, we have no plans for anything that tall any of these city centre projects.

In a way that is probably about right for where Cardiff is at, particularly seeing as much of what is in the model is offices and we have only managed to build and fill a hanful in the last 10 years or so. There's a fair chance based on previous experience that we might not even get what's in the model. If we manage to get all the offices planned on that model and they are occupied then it will be a huge step forward for the city, but the skyscraper geek in me longs for something to go taller than Capital Tower and BT's building. I guess it would have to be a mixed use scheme, hotel and apartments maybe.

Just one building will do.

The Skyscraper Geek in me feels exactly the same way!! I always thought that admiral may have done this for us? So at the moment perhaps something like you suggested may come from out of the blue (ie mixed use) and the chances of that will surely increase if all the proposed developments come to fruition. Also whilst out on a bit of a limb for 'max effect' the proposed tower at the sports village will be very impressive if constructed.

Yes, what's planned for the sports village and also the Bayscape tower are very impressive.

I just think we need something in the city centre as well. If there is this volume of development at various sites in the city centre there's an opportunity to go big at one of them, and preferably I'd go for the Wood Street area so that a tall building or two can go up near the BT building.

What we are seeing in that model is essentially the plan for the city centre over the next 20 years. I know things can change but while plans are being made for so far in advance why not have something that sticks out at a strategic site ? Something tall next to the BT building and the Millennium Stadium would do nicely.

I've never really got the obsession with tall buildings that prevails on here.
I find the older parts of European cities infinitely more interesting than the modern skyscrapers.
I'd prefer we re learned how to make beautiful buildings than phallic ones.

Colour Wolf
I've never really got the obsession with tall buildings that prevails on here.
I find the older parts of European cities infinitely more interesting than the modern skyscrapers.
I'd prefer we re learned how to make beautiful buildings than phallic ones.

I do love both, I've just always loved modern cities with huge marvels of engineering pushing up to the sky and I love the statement that they can make about a place. Maybe it's because I'm a shortarse

It is interesting what is not included on the map. As far as I can tell, it lacks two sets of planned residential on the ISV (affordable housing on east and west side) and Bayscape itself is missing.

The Dumballs Road model seems to fit with the most recent plans, and does not extend to the westside plots.

The long planned office block between the Dumballs Road college new build and fusion point is not there, but the Cardiff Waterside builds are in place as planned, even though both have been motionless for an age. It is hard to see, but there seems to be little at porth teigr. Why waterside but not porth teigr?

There are buildings on the east of Callaghan Sq that I dont think we've ever seen plans for.

I think the central square plans are almost entirely aspirational guesswork on behalf of the model makers. I think the next council masterplan will again show a bus station to the east of the square, and I suspect in time we will see plans for a car park on Park street to replace the one behind Marland House.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM