CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BBC move confirmed

Really? Please explain...

And even if so, the enterprise zone status is pretty short term... less than 20 years, no?

Me
As Karl says, the plan is to build a new bus station before work starts on the BBC building, so that will clearly add to the delay.

I think the new bus station will go where planned sometime ago on the Marland House and car park site. At one stage the hold up was getting ownership of the car park, but that seems closer to resolution now. I still hope for a bus station with access from Wood Street and by Sleeperz.

Although I have no evidence, I speculate there will also be a new car park on Park Street.

I see, so the BBC announce their new offices but as of yet they don't actually have any land to build it on and planning permission won't be granted until we have a new bus station. Meanwhile the council is on the bones of its arse, has no money and can't afford to build a new bus station.

I will show my arse in queen street if the BBC head office is built before 2018 in central square.

RandomComment
You jest. But I think there were plans to build the bus station with office buildings on top at one stage - at least that was being considered as an option. The constraint then is that you need pretty expensive and energy-hungry air conditioning systems to make sure that the exhaust fumes are properly extracted.

Alternatively, it could go on the south side of the railway station. This wouldn't be a problem provided a through-route for non ticket holders could be delivered. Otherwise the ticket barriers look like being.. well, a barrier to such a plan.

that's what I thought but since the council has no money and we've not heard about any development on the Marland House site, then we can only assume that site has to go through planning, consultations, redesign, Cadw (Marland House has value ) and whatever else is deemed to be necessary to ensure we waste yet another small section of Brazil's ever decreasing rainforest. Then you have the tender process (Oh God I'm now losing the will to live). This is CCC so I imagine even this task will take several years. Then we build the integrated office/bus station.

Then we can start the whole process again but this time for the BBC building. The ape creatures of the Indus will have learnt to count beyond 6 before the BBC move into Central Square.

Jantra
RandomComment
The BBC will be renting the building from Rightacres (or whoever they sell it on to), so the building itself, which I think will cost £50 million, will be funded by the developers getting a commercial loan and/or selling the asset to a big pension fund, insurer etc.

The fitting out costs could also be close to £50 million. The BBC probably won\'t get anything like that from their land. I\'d guess they may get £25 million at a price of around £1.5 million per acre... although £2 million an acre would raise that to about £32 million.

I guess they are hoping that the move will save money in the long term by avoiding the need to upgrade their existing facilities. It should also be cheaper to run and to staff. And if they are privatised, leasing will be more tax efficient than owning their building outright (although I guess they could have mortgaged it to leverage up too).

Not in an enterprise zone it won't

I really hope they aren't going to be gaining from being within the Enterprise Zone.

They aren't in a sector that should be gaining from it. Surely the relocation to the city centre is more to do with it being a better location than where they are now.

Re: BBC move confirmed - but no news on the exact site.

No comments on this topic for a year.
The BBC's preferred site is the bus station site in Central Square. Cardiff leaders have promised to deliver this, despite no planning consent nor even a planning application. They have accepted it needs EIA, but being cosy with AECOM expect them to do a rushed job (fastest ever) to submit in October.
See the Central Square thread for up-to-date comments and links.

CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM