CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Electrification of the railways

It's welcome news, but at least a decade overdue. The £350 million they're spending electrifying the Valleys Lines and the mainline to Swansea happens to be the same amount it's costing to extend the platforms at Waterloo.

This is small change to the UK government, I'll be impressed when they re-open the Merthyr to Brecon line, or electrify the Heart of Wales.

To be honest this hardly looks bad for Wales. The only thing that concerns me is the rising fares. People will be priced off the railways which can't be good.

I also had to add how I think this is excellent news for us! As sad as I am I've een waiting for this news for several months . Hopefully the Cardiff metro will be a much more achievable goal now

I dont want to be negative or critical, as this is excellent news, albeit long overdue.

But I am going to be critical about DfT attitudes towards Wales - Wales should recieve around 5% of UK Transport spending but over the years we have been recieving less than 2%. When the DfT first proposed electrification of GWML only to Cardiff, they said that this should only continue to Swansea if WG paid. But rail infrastructure is not devolved - so money must come out of UK pot not WG!!

We should now push for devolution of all rail insfrastructure - which will mean that once the current proposals are implemented we will have money to spend on electrification of North Wales main line, Cardiff Metro, plus lots of minor improvements across Wales.

why should Wales receive 5% of all transport funding? for transport, England is a lot larger so has many more miles or road and rail. Wales has half its population within an hours travel time. Thus the total spend is going to be less.

put it another way - do we complain when we receive more than 5% per capita under Barnett or that we get more than 5% in welfare and benefits?

Jantra - I am not going to get dragged down into one of your political rants - I was just making the point that Welsh transport (the non-devolved bit) has been significantally underfunded over recent years, and that while this investment is very welcome, we should not be overgrateful as this is just rectifying a past wrong. As your hero would have said ...Rejoice..Rejoice

Tallsmurf
Jantra - I am not going to get dragged down into one of your political rants - I was just making the point that Welsh transport (the non-devolved bit) has been significantally underfunded over recent years, and that while this investment is very welcome, we should not be overgrateful as this is just rectifying a past wrong. As your hero would have said ...Rejoice..Rejoice

is not a political rant at all. We get more than our fair share overall and we get more than our fair share in say benefits and welfare. we cannot have more than 5% in everything unless we contribute more than 5% of receipts - which we don't.

notwithstanding that minor detail, Wales is a smaller country so needs less miles of track between its cities. As I said, you have half the population of Wales within about an hour of Cardiff and spend on infrastructure needs to reflect that. Whilst it may seem unfair that we don't get exactly the proportion of our population, we would end up with a national rail network much better than Englands if we did - and given the fact we rely on England for our funding, that would definitley be unfair.

I agree that we cannot expect to get more than a population-based share for everything: even a poorer area of a country may have lower "needs" for spending on some areas than the richer area. Transport might be one such area, where the high demands placed on the service and the high returns on investment mean the richer areas (e.g. London) need greater spending.

But I do not agree that fairness is about receiving the same as you pay in. Otherwise any form of redistribution from rich to poor would be unfair, which is not a sentiment I share.

So you are really making two separate points.

@ cambo

perhaps I am - but not intentionally. The point was - as you have picked up - is that Wales may not necessarily need 5% of total spend. We also have to factor in that the cost / passenger mile for the last station on the line is a whole lot more than the hub or any other station inbetween. When there is capital rationing, choices have to be made based on sound financial principles.

wealth distribution is a different matter and that wasn't what I was referring to so apologies

Just realised - Cardiff bay to queen street is not included!! Is this just an oversight ???

If intentional I hope wg will fund their own personal train set

Where did you hear that? This say it is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18828866

Truly fantastic news.

I only really hope a quality separate (God forbid Arriva get their grubby hits on any contract) greater cardiff metro service will be born out of this. Only then will it have a great impact on local people.

what will we call the metro system?

Tallsmurf
Just realised - Cardiff bay to queen street is not included!! Is this just an oversight ???

Sorry - my mistake - I was misreading something...

I dont have a problem with Cardiff Metro - but that will upset some people....

So call the overall system the South East Wales Integrated Network - or SEWIN (Sea Trout - nice green logo)

But then brand the lines as Cardiff Metro 1, Cardiff Metro 2, Valleys (or Glamorgan) Metro 1, Valleys Metro 2, Gwent Metro 1, etc.

But my plea for a new line and station is a spur off the VoG line to Cardiff Airport. Instead of terminating 3 or 4 trains an hour at Barry Island (who really goes there??) - take at least 2 trains/hour on to Cardiff Airport - then run them as express services stopping only at Barry, Central, Queen Street and Pontypridd.

Cardiff Metro - it won't happen. despite the UK government delivering their part of the bargain, WG/CCC will find a reason to avoid financing such a scheme.

FFS we can't even get the bus station developed, baby steps first (without delusions of grandeur)

I reckon that we should invest in a couple of buckets before we do anything else - there were several water leaks dripping inside from the roof of the carriage on the train that I was on this morning.

Jantra
Cardiff Metro - it won't happen. despite the UK government delivering their part of the bargain, WG/CCC will find a reason to avoid financing such a scheme.

FFS we can't even get the bus station developed, baby steps first (without delusions of grandeur)

It prob will happen now that electrification is happening the proposal was endorsed by all the parties and is supported by the likes of the Cardiff business partnership Mark says it will only be £100 million a year to deliver it post 2018.

Huw
Jantra

It prob will happen now that electrification is happening the proposal was endorsed by all the parties and is supported by the likes of the Cardiff business partnership Mark says it will only be £100 million a year to deliver it post 2018.

I hope you're right Huw. Mark et al have put a lot of time and effort in to this and have come up with an overarching strategy. My reticence....well didn't CCC/WG say they were committing upwards of £20m per annum each to Cardiffs CBD...if that is the case then the slabs currently being laid in Central Square must be the most expensive slabs in christendom...unless of course the much mooted funding has yet to materialise?

Tallsmurf

The link is mentioned in the press so I think it was just an oversight on that map. However is this railine really required? On multiple occasions I have seen empty or near empty trains trundle back and forth along that line.

Would it be better scrap it and go with a bus link which could take commuters further into the Bay area and even across the barrage instead?

Around 3/4 million passengers used Cardiff Bay station last year, which is 3 times more than most Coryton line stations and definitely enough to justify the line remaining.

I'd support closing the line if it was to make way for a LRT system but that's extremely pie in the sky sadly!

Simon_SW11
Around 3/4 million passengers used Cardiff Bay station last year, which is 3 times more than most Coryton line stations and definitely enough to justify the line remaining.

I'd support closing the line if it was to make way for a LRT system but that's extremely pie in the sky sadly!
that is 2k pax per day. that sounds quite high to me. assuming the trains run every 10 minutes or so there must be 6/hour for say 14 hours a day = 84 trains/day.

that would mean each train would need 25 pax or so per train journey on average. i've been on that train and I've never seen 25 people get off at the Bay

Commuter87

Superb news, congratulations to all involved. Hope this morphs into a full blown South East Wales Metro now, and acts as a lightning rod for the Cardiff City Region as a whole.

Delighted that the Maesteg line (and indeed the Ebbw Vale and Vale of Glamorgan lines) have also been included. Coupled with the news of a spur to Heathrow so we don't have to go to Paddington to get to Heathrow now, this has been a great couple of days for our infrastructure

Link to the Radio Wales phone-in, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0079g44, starts just after 3 minutes

Looking at that map I see one potential problem...

Having experienced diversions via Gloucester during Severn Tunnel closures I can't help but wonder what non-electrification of the Newport-Gloucester-Swindon route will mean should the Severn Tunnel be closed.

I guess it means either:
1 - No diversions via Glos. everything is done using the dire replacement bus services
2 - Diversions using diesel trains during planned maintenance (they'll still exist to do the London - Cheltenham run), see above for unplanned closures
3 - Dual electric - diesel trains are used (at greater cost and greater weight)

Had a listen to part of the phone-in on electrification.

Blimey. First, I think BBC Radio Wales were setting it up for a poor-quality debate. The title "are you willing to foot the bill?" led to confusion, with people thinking that either it is fares that are due to increase to fund this, or that it was the Welsh specifically who were being asked to pay. And secondly, by continually mentioning £9 billion and then saying "20 minute journey time saving", it made it seem like that was all the £9 billion was going towards. That actually was really poor and misleading: about £1 billion is Great Western, and what, a couple of hundred million for Valleys lines (which will also reduce journey times). And then, the format whereby they simply read our readers comments (which are often ill-informed or just plain wrong) without discussion of these allows misinformation to spread.

And then the people who phoned in or tweeted or what not.

Did noone grasp that we can only afford the NHS because we have a broader economy that generates income? And that the economy relies on good infrastructure?

Did noone hear it when it was said that this will reduce the running costs of the railway? And that we would need to replace the trains within 10 years anyway?

Do people not realise that prices are cheaper in many other countries because they have larger subsidies and more modern infrastructures that cost less to run? (and in fact, it is 'turn-up-and-go' prices that are cheaper in the continent, if you book in advance, it is often cheaper to travel in the UK).

OK, I understand most people aren't economists or development geeks. But are they actually unable to process what is being said? Or are we just such a cynical bunch that we believe nothing we are told.

RandomComment
Or are we just such a cynical bunch that we believe nothing we are told.

Sadly, this.

In the main, media coverage has been positive is I'm surprised at BBC Radio Wales' leading question approach.

The £9bn figure is just a coalition headline grabber anyway, £5bn is already committed to Crossrail, Thameslink etc. That's not to say that £4bn is to be sniffed at.

There is some discussion about whether we get new trains, I've heard some talk of getting cascaded class 315's from Greater Anglia which are nearly 30 years old! Let's hope not, they're grim now, never mind in 6 years time.

Previously I liked Jason Mohammad but my opinion of him is lowered because of the way he set that debate, at one point someone texts in saying something like "why are we always trying to go faster, when im on a train I like to look at the countryside out the window"
Anyway I just looked up the train class you mentioned they dont look so bad compared to what we have now but we should really be getting new stock built

Jantra
Simon_SW11

that is 2k pax per day. that sounds quite high to me. assuming the trains run every 10 minutes or so there must be 6/hour for say 14 hours a day = 84 trains/day.

that would mean each train would need 25 pax or so per train journey on average. i've been on that train and I've never seen 25 people get off at the Bay

Didn't realise it was that many! Maybe they are all on the rush hour trains? Do they do through trains from the Valleys to Cardiff Bay or is it just a shuttle from Queen Street?

Wasn't an LRT/Tram system showninitiale inital drawings of the Lloyd George Avenue/ Callaghan Square development? Agree such a system throughout the city would be good but it is highly unlikely hence why I suggested a bus link.

Bishop84- There are no through-trains that I know of.

You'll be surprised at how busy the train gets at certain times. Jantra's stats are correct but there is one more division to do - the return journey element so divide the 25 by 2 to get an average of twelve passengers per each one way trip.

Random - I don't think that most of those people were cynical, I think they were just generally ignorant and uninformed. We have more than our fair share of them in these parts. A few have even been elected into office...

According to the Office for Rail Regulation, there were 0.75 million passengers using Cardiff Bay railway station in 2010-11. You can see the stats on the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Bay_railway_station

You did mean (3 quarters) not (3 to 4) million right?

Cardiff bay is only a shuttle for now - but current rus plans show that after queen street has been developed that 2 tph will travel from barged & Caerphilly to the bay.

This has even been on the news in London! Very good news for everyone in S Wales, role on 2014!

Lets hope this is the first of many possitive things for Wales.

RandomComment

You did mean (3 quarters) not (3 to 4) million right?

Yes, three quarters

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175511/Japanese-bullet-trains-Blow-British-industry-Government-puts-1billion-order.html?ito=feeds-newsxml Look at this stupid article in the daily mail they're claiming that "bullet trains" are coming to the UK with the order of thr trains from Hitachi that will go on the GWML.

That's hilarious, bullet trains at 225mph on the Great Western!!?

Great research Daily Vile.

They just love writing misleading crap which twists the truth to catch your attention in that rag, don't they.

This article contains a more rounded report, and includes the key sentence that 'In Japan they run as fast as 225 miles an hour but will be limited to 125 here because the track is only built (to!) take trains of that speed'.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-07-18/bullet-trains-for-thames-valley/

Roll on the new rolling stock!

This is the story that the Mail was trying to report.

New trains

Would it benefit the South Wales economy if HS2 didn't get built as places like Leeds and Manchester would be closer to London than Cardiff?

This has been in the pipeline since before the electrification announcement - it's still good news.

Work has begun on a £220m scheme to provide hundreds of extra rush-hour seats each day on the Cardiff and Valleys railway network.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/08/06/220m-worth-of-good-news-for-wales-rail-commuters-91466-31555496/#ixzz22krdCYlY

Great proposal from Mark:
http://www.m.walesonline.co.uk/ms/p/tmg/walesol/sbmS_dvc0uOEPSkOd_cicLg/view.m?id=5127591&tid=638956&cat=Business_News

Mark, throughout that article you propose that a City -region approach should be taken to transportation. Do you think the same approach should be taken to employment and housing? It seems to me that planning strategically across South Wales for transport but not for housing will achieve less than optimal results and that some gains in transport may be negated by a disjointed approach to where we build our houses.

Timetable announced for electrification:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20941072

London - Cardiff 2017
London - Cardiff - Swansea 2018

Valleys complete by 2020 - 2024, poss first line ready to go in 2017.

I'm not sure if the 2017 date for Cardiff London means that's when the first trains will be running or whether we will need to wait for the full line to Swansea to be in operation before they run electric for any part of it.

I'm told season tickets from Barry to Cardiff haven't risen by too much in the new year. Apparently much of the fare rises going on are to pay for the monstrosity of HS2. I can't help but feel that's going to turn out to be a huge waste of money that would be better spent elsewhere on the network.

I wonder if it would be possible to re-open the line to Creigau, particularly if the go ahead is given to the Waterhall development in north west Cardiff. Unfortunately they have built some houses in the way, so compulsory purchase might be necessary. Ah well.

Frank
I wonder if it would be possible to re-open the line to Creigau, particularly if the go ahead is given to the Waterhall development in north west Cardiff. Unfortunately they have built some houses in the way, so compulsory purchase might be necessary. Ah well.

It's very possible. There's a good discussion on it here.

http://dicmortimer.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/waterhall-and-back/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rdfsm anyone catch this yesterday?

you might like this... live from tomorrow AM

www.metroconsortium.co.uk

Link doesn't work! What was supposed to be there?

For some reason the link does not work from within the forum...try typing it in your browser, it works then www.metroconsortium.com or www.metroconsortium.co.uk

Metro Consortium

As Mr Punch might have said - that's the way to do it. Way to go.

Good read that was! Nice to see this is being led by the private sector.

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM