CARDIFFWALESMAP

f o r u m

if it's about Cardiff..
Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business,
Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking,
Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc..
then we want it here!

City Centre
:: You Tube :: FLICKR :: Cardiff Bay :: CCFC Stadium :: Cardiff Sports Village :: Wales Map :: brought to you by... PR Design and Print

CardiffWalesMap
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: General developments

bodach
Didn't Admiral only come to Cardiff because of a similar deal? Was that a bad thing?

I think Admiral came to Cardiff because the WDA were the only agency to actually bother to meeting with them.

why did the Welsh Government get rid of the WDA? empire building? state control? it certainly hasn't worked.

URBANO's point is valid - using money like this distorts the market. The jobs are good but we want businesses to locate here for the right reasons, not because every other taxpayer is paying their profits for the next five years.

Read this quote from the WalesOnline article:

"The £3.5m investment will created 65 jobs in Cardiff, as well as a similar number of satellite offices in Manchester, Edinburgh, London and Newcastle which will have broadcast trucks to coverage a wide range of amateur sporting events."

Did you spot the grammatical and semantic mistakes? 3 in one sentence!

Great spot
Created
Similar Office
Coverage
Oi oi

Anyone know what is planned for the current Windsor House site once it's demolished ?

I saw this in last week's planning apps :

13/02678/DCI Application for Demolition Expected Decision DEL
Received: 20/12/2013 Ward: CATHAYS
Case Officer: Lawrence Dowdall
Applicant: Mr Clark The Nottinghamshire County Council (c/o Aberdeen Asset Managers), , ,
Agents: Savills, 12 Windsor Place, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, , CF10 3BY
Proposal: DEMOLISH THE FULL EXTENT OF WINDSOR HOUSE TO ENABLE THE REDEVELOPMENT OF
THE SITE
At: EC HARRIS, WINDSOR HOUSE, WINDSOR LANE, CITY CENTRE, CARDIFF, CF10 3DE

If I've got the right building it's not the prettiest (grey and has a part of it on Dumfries Place)

Also noticed this :

13/02646/DCO Full Planning Permission Expected Decision DEL
Received: 17/12/2013 Ward: PONTPRENNAU/ST MELLONS
Case Officer: Andrew Bates
Applicant: Mr D Jones Persimmon Homes East Wales, Llantrisant Business Park, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
Agents: , , , , ,
Proposal: WORKS TO THE JUNCTION OF CHURCH ROAD AND THE ACCESS ROAD OFF PONTPRENNAU
ROUNDABOUT (A4232) TO ENABLE A NEW ROAD ACCESS INTO LAND TO THE SOUTH OF
CHURCH ROAD. IN ADDITION THE STOPPING UP OF CHURCH ROAD AT ITS JUNCTION WITH
BRIDGE ROAD AND THE TRANSLOCATION OF A HEDGE ALONG CHURCH ROAD
At: LAND AT, CHURCH ROAD, PONTPRENNAU

A tiny thing on its own but a start to the proposed St Edeyrn 1,000 homes east of Pontprennau ? How far has that scheme got planning approval wise ?

The last thing I remember reading about it was last Spring here

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-housing-estate-plan-unveiled-2582892

Kyle
Anyone know what is planned for the current Windsor House site once it's demolished ?

An old app: APPLICATION No. 12/01516/DCI APPLICATION DATE: 03/09/2012, wanted to convert to student flats. Maybe now new build is planned instead?

Me
Kyle

An old app: APPLICATION No. 12/01516/DCI APPLICATION DATE: 03/09/2012, wanted to convert to student flats. Maybe now new build is planned instead?

Thanks

Now I remember it. Nothing that interesting then !

How is the applicant for the Windsor House planning 'Nottinghamshire County Council'? Have I missed something?

AMoore
How is the applicant for the Windsor House planning 'Nottinghamshire County Council'? Have I missed something?

Something related to a pension fund they are the investors in I think (I might have that wrong but a Walesonline article on the weekend mentioned it - I can't link to it from where I currently am sorry).

However, its interesting that a local authority is investing some of its cash in a pension fund that is developing sites in other authorities don't you think? It makes you realise that the land purchasing activities that have been going on between CCC and WAG in relation to some of the enterprise zone sites are clearly happening elsewhere.

Does anyone know how common this sort of activity is ?

Kyle
A tiny thing on its own but a start to the proposed St Edeyrn 1,000 homes east of Pontprennau ? How far has that scheme got planning approval wise ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-housing-estate-plan-unveiled-2582892

Been given planning permission subject a S278 agreement and 42 other conditions (street lighting, landscaping etc.) the masterplan has already been revised 8 times to reflect subtle changes such as the removal of the "stopping up" order on St Mellons Road.

There is understandably widespread objection to it, most of the complaints raise legitimate issues with increased traffic mixed with a lot of NIMBYism.

Hodge House has been acquired in a £18.8m deal by Legal & General Property.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/hodge-house-acquired-188m-deal-6505930

murfilicious
Kyle

Been given planning permission subject a S278 agreement and 42 other conditions (street lighting, landscaping etc.) the masterplan has already been revised 8 times to reflect subtle changes such as the removal of the "stopping up" order on St Mellons Road.

There is understandably widespread objection to it, most of the complaints raise legitimate issues with increased traffic mixed with a lot of NIMBYism.

Are you saying that they're leaving the St. Mellons Road rat run in place afterall?

The framework of the atrium students union is on the way up.

Didn't know where else to put this -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/welsh-government-considering-key-sites-6528493

It seems that the WG are looking at purchasing 2 sites in central Cardiff. The first is the corner plot at the north eastern part of CS. A red brick warehouse was demolished here a few months back. I always thought that with a bit of tlc that could have been converted into an attractive building which would have provided a nice counterpoint to the newer buildings and a reminder of the area's former industrial heritage, but what do I know?

This is a key site I think and could possibly link CS with Capital Quarter with access over the dock feeder that runs through it.

The second site is currently owned by two engineering firms which must mean it's situated on Dumballs Rd. Bellepheron are currently purchasing land between Dumballs Rd and the river for residential development (inc. 50% affordable housing) in what appears to be a joint venture with the Council. I wonder if this site being looked at by the WG will be earmarked for more residential or commercial.

Also WG still own part of CS south side which they are thinking of selling on to the Council who may or may not be looking at building a convention centre there.

I think on balance this is good news and points to an intention by the WG to get the enterprise zone going (in the absence of private developers this seems to be the only option) but with Capital Quarter, both sides of Central Station, CS, Dumballs Rd and Capital Waterside all in various stages of development I wonder if there is a risk that focus will be dissipated and we will end up with a large number of unfinished developments?

Looks like work on the old Habitat unit is imminent. Lots of building materials have arrived and hoardings are being erected outside the Hayes Island frontage. We know Miller and Carter Steakhouse will be an occupier of one of the three proposed units - does anyone know the identity of the other two or can hazard an educated guess?

Pieminister confirmed to be opening in St Mary Street in mid March. This on top of Brewdog's announcement that they are opening in Westgate Street seems to suggest that Cardiff is on the radar of the more 'trendy' chains.

I'm glad Brew Dog are coming to the city but I wish they hadn't chosen such a terrible unit. It means that the ground floor commercial in that building will be fully let (as well as the office space) which makes it possibly one of the most successful office schemes in the city despite being disgustingly ugly. Is there a moral somewhere?

I wish Brewdog - or someone - would take the plunge and open up in one of the very old buildings in Womamby Street (between Dempseys and Revs) that have had the exteriors renovated but are empty shells inside. Such a shame that they seem destined to remain empty.

Proposed swimming pool, leisure centre, gym and library for Splott, to replace the Star centre (planned to become housing). £9.2m. Built on site of existing pool in Splott park.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/campaigners-react-proposal-new-community-6557397

Me

Proposed swimming pool, leisure centre, gym and library for Splott, to replace the Star centre (planned to become housing). £9.2m. Built on site of existing pool in Splott park.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/campaigners-react-proposal-new-community-6557397

Yuk! So Cllr. Goodway is back in charge. The STAR centre site is to be sold off for housing while the only park in Splott is to have that pile of shit built on it. How does he get away with it?

There is also tremorfa park and moorland park. The star centre was actually built on the site of a park and it is well past it's prime. That part of the city gets shat on from a great height regularly so despite the architectural merits of the building it's refreshing to see something other than an industrial unit being built.

Karl
There is also tremorfa park and moorland park. The star centre was actually built on the site of a park and it is well past it's prime. That part of the city gets shat on from a great height regularly so despite the architectural merits of the building it's refreshing to see something other than an industrial unit being built.

Yes, but... the park where the Star Centre was built isn't being restored as parkland it's to be used for housing - meanwhile Splott Park is going to see a rather-cheap looking leisure centre built on it.

People can argue over the architectural merits of the proposals but there is no doubting that there will be a loss of green space if the plans go ahead. The "industrial unit" arguement is specious. Are you suggesting industrial units would be built on the park if the leisure centre isn't?

The Star Centre is indeed past it's prime - so why not renovate it or replace it on the same site? That's what happened with the Western Leisure Centre and Channel View.

I'm confused. It's going on the site of Splott Pool, and in terms of green space will involve the loss of exactly one bowling green. This is hardly making a dent in Splott park, surely?

Ash
Karl

Yes, but... the park where the Star Centre was built isn't being restored as parkland it's to be used for housing - meanwhile Splott Park is going to see a rather-cheap looking leisure centre built on it.

People can argue over the architectural merits of the proposals but there is no doubting that there will be a loss of green space if the plans go ahead. The "industrial unit" arguement is specious. Are you suggesting industrial units would be built on the park if the leisure centre isn't?

The Star Centre is indeed past it's prime - so why not renovate it or replace it on the same site? That's what happened with the Western Leisure Centre and Channel View.

I reckon Karl was being facetious regarding the architectural merits

The industrial unit comment was just a general observation that the usual development we see in splott/tremorfa is stuff like viridor or the shit that cardiff community housing assoc throw up. Splott swimming pool plus the car park and the changing rooms already take up a fair bit of splott park. It seems that this development will take up an additional bowling green. That's a shame but not disastrous. As for returning the star site to parkland (which only became parkland when the old splott council school was demolished in the 1970s) - its a nice idea but where does the money come from to build the community hub? Splott park is actually quite big and tremorfa park about 500m up the road is even bigger.

DaiB
I'm confused. It's going on the site of Splott Pool, and in terms of green space will involve the loss of exactly one bowling green. This is hardly making a dent in Splott park, surely?

I guess we will have to wait until there is a final plan for the hub until we find out how much green space of the park will actually be lost. IMHO both versions shown in the artist impressions appear to be bigger than the proposed development plot when you count the access and car parking - hopefully I'm wrong but it does appear that more green space than what has been reported will be lost.

The only time I've been to the STAR Centre a junkie tried to score drugs off me in the car park. The place is also as ugly as sin, so it's not exactly a great loss.

AMoore

I would imagine it's an investment on behalf of their pension fund

Kyle

It may not be all that exciting but it's good that any extension to the retail park is having a path to the new homes.

I drive past that area in the mornings on my way to work, I know it's only a housing development but I'm looking forward St. Edeyrn rising out of those fields and the city getting a sizable number of new homes. There seems to be quite a bit going on at the moment with a few of the bigger schemes waking up again (St.Edeyrn, Ely Mill and Dumballs Road).

Talking of big housing developments in this part of the city, any news on any of the others such as the 4,000 or at the scheme by Redrow between Lisvane and Pontprennau ? I did see a planning application as I drove down the lanes (St.Mellons Road) between both areas this morning. I'm not sure if it's related to this though.

I actually work in the Business Park and live near The Mill so I'm keen to see them both get going soon (though I'm sure I'll change my mind when the inevitable traffic problems arise!). The amount of talk and planning applications I've seen recently regarding the access road into St Edeyrn's makes me think this is most likely the next "big" development we are likely to see.

I think the planning applications you've seen around Lisvane are probably linked to some of the smaller housing developments (about 3 of about 50 or so houses dotted around the perimeter of the larger development). I doubt we'll see any movement on the larger Lisvane scheme for a while because I'm sure I saw somewhere that the sale of the land is being investigated...

murfilicious

I actually work in the Business Park and live near The Mill so I'm keen to see them both get going soon (though I'm sure I'll change my mind when the inevitable traffic problems arise!). The amount of talk and planning applications I've seen recently regarding the access road into St Edeyrn's makes me think this is most likely the next "big" development we are likely to see.

This is in the news today related to the St.Edeyrn development

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/councillor-calls-proper-procedures-followed-6802838

Seems like there is some fannying around going on :

"Coun Rees, ward councillor for Pontprennau and Old St Mellons, claims Welsh Government officials told her it has not yet received the required paperwork from Cardiff council as part of the call in process three months after the planning committee’s decision. But she said Cardiff council officers told her this paperwork had been sent."

You never know, they might get a house built by 2020 !

The speed at which things move in Wales really is glacial (the rest of the UK isn't much better, mind).

Take for instance the "Circuit of Wales". The latest news is pretty worrying and I'm left feeling that the developers have been quite dishonest in their dealings with the local, Welsh and UK governments: implying the development could be undertaken for minimal public outlay, and after receiving approval and political support, then saying "oh we need £50 million by the way". I'm much less inclined to support the development now - it doesn't seem to be very commercially viable and has no firm commitments from the industry. But, another piece of news is that it might take up to a year to sort out issues around redesignating a replacement piece of land as "common land". Thats right, a bit of unsightly heather and scrub next to an industrial estate thats used by virtually noone was "common land" and therefore a whole lot of paperwork needs shuffling to designate some other nearby land as "common land".

When I watched Week In Week Out yesterday, any good faith I had to the Circuit of Wales had vanished. We should quit giving handouts to this white elephant and cut our losses. I always thought it was being built in the wrong place and for it to have a chance of being remotely successful it would have to be on the M4 corridor and ideally within 30 minutes of Cardiff.

Anyone know what is happening to the unit that until recently housed Graham Griffiths Estate Agents at the top of Cowbridge Road East, near Victoria Park.

The estate agents moved out last month and it appears they are changing it into something else.

I have just bought a house around the corner so am interested to find out what is going there.

elgdav
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46203728.html

the new building by hsbc

I was looking at this the other day and was thinking about where the stairs/lifts are as clearly the building is only as wide as the front room. Since this building is fairly long you can only assume that the stairwell is in the centre with flats either side of it (front and back). That makes them tiny, no more than a crash pad really.

Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

Plans have been submitted for a 6 storey office block somewhere between the AA and Lloyds buildings on the south west corner of Callaghan Square. Not sure exactly where and the Council website seems to be down ATM so can't access the planning docs.

Link to story:here.

sweetfeet
Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

Plans have been submitted for a 6 storey office block somewhere between the AA and Lloyds buildings on the south west corner of Callaghan Square. Not sure exactly where and the Council website seems to be down ATM so can't access the planning docs.

Link to story:here.

The team behind the project proposes to make room by demolishing two existing offices, which it claims are not fit for purpose and underutilise a prime city centre location

its fusion point 1 and 2

seriously, I think this is the building next to trade street cafe

Jantra

seriously, I think this is the building next to trade street cafe

I think it might be a different plot that fronts Curran Road, two old buildings in old stone and red brick. I think it is currently Itec, who provide apprenticeships, and their car parking.

1 2
CARDIFFWALESMAP - FORUM