Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Commodore Toni Montague Mbe Mazonowicz

Some very sad news which I have only just found out about,

Commodore Toni Montague Mbe Mazonowicz
Published in the Swindon Advertiser on 6 November 15
MAZONOWICZ Commodore Toni Montague MBE Passed away peacefully at the Great Western Hospital on 31st October 2015, aged 91 years. Now reunited with his loving wife Joy (deceased). Father, grandfather and great grandfather. Funeral service to be held at Kingsdown Crematorium on Tuesday 10th November at 10.00am.

Joy Orca Mazonowicz
Published in the Swindon Advertiser on 16 February 15
MAZONOWICZ Joy Orca Passed away peacefully at the Great Western Hospital on 8th February 2015, aged 88 years. Loving wife of Toni, precious mum of Rex, Kay and Lance (deceased), devoted grandmother to Stuart, Max, Ella and Jeremy. Funeral service to be held at Kingsdown Crematorium, Swindon, on Thursday 26th February at 10.30am

Where are you from: UK

Re: Commodore Toni Montague Mbe Mazonowicz

Sad news to hear

Email  

That's very sad.

Mazo was held in awe by all and in fear by some. My experiences with the Chief were all positive.

My two most memorable were once when I managed a double full astern telegraph order on the Starboard engine, leaving Fort Lauderdale. Mazo raced over and stood right behind me. When it was over, he gripped my left elbow and said "That was very good".

The other time was when he came down to see me in the boiler room, where I'd been doing some watches and asked me if I was ready for my step up to 4EO. I said that I was and he went and arranged it with the Personnel Manager, who's name escapes me. The PM wasn't happy I'm told because I was very young.

I had nothing but respect for Mazo. RIP.

Greg Sinclair

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

This is what prompted me to look,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231776962972?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote: David Jewkes
This is what prompted me to look,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231776962972?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Someone has a lifetimes memorabilia there. I wonder if they know its history? I would have kept it within the family, as a memento.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

Sad news, yes he was well respected. I was almost sent off the SS Oriana, due to some of my antics, but a "black-out" in the Azores saved me. Mozo was there behind me in the Geny Flat when I (just a junior Lecky) gave several orders to the the junior Leckies around me to check things around the ship.
R>I>P> Mozo.

Where are you from: Parkham Devon

Email  

Hi Steve, re his son e-mailing you. Mozo had two sons, one who lived in UK and the other lived in the States. Unfortunately his son Lance who lived in UK and could be the one who e-mailed you passed away in 2010 due cancer, only 50.

Sad news, sailed with him on Oriana in 79 when I was 2nd VO, one time, we got up to no good and were marched in front of him, he scared the hell out of us, but fortunately was lenient, just banned off decks for a couple of weeks, and made to redecorate the mess we’d made in accommodation corridor (could have been a lot worse). He was a well-respected chief engineer, always thought highly of him.

Where are you from: London

Email  

Best Chief that I worked for / sailed with.

RIP !!

Where are you from: Nynehead UK

Email  

RIP Mr Mazonowicz.
Well respected by all.
Looking back, Mazo always seemed to the right thing at the right time for the right reason. Great example to many who sailed with him.

Where are you from: Sunderland Originally Now Johannesburg

Email  

This is Toni's son, Rex, replying to the comments on the forum. I'm not looking to start a discussion but just give you an update.

I regret you had to find out about Dad's passing through ebay. Not as we would have wished.

Just to let you know he was very fit and active up until his sudden passing. Exercising, walking, keeping up with his accounts and buying gadgets.

We all miss Mum & Dad very much. A lot to bear in one year.

As for the P&O associations and effects. The majority of them were kept. Dad was cremated in his Uniform and his ashes are in Wiltshire and travelling the world again in the Atlantic.

The service commenced with Rod Stewart's "Sailing" and contained the Hymn "for those in peril on the sea". As he was a James Bond fanatic the ending piece was "You only live twice".

His memories of you all were everlasting and every time he recounted events he had a smile on his face. The ones he could tell us....that is.

Thank you all for making his career and retirement a memorable one.

Rex Mazonowicz

Where are you from: Arizona, USA

Email  

Sad news indeed, he was my Chief for the majority of my time on Oriana and I had the utmost respect for him. RIP.

Where are you from: Sydney Australia

Email  

Toni
Sad to hear of the passing of a man who stands out in my memory (along with many others) as someone well respected by his P&O colleagues, and who is fondly thought of.

RIP Toni, and thanks for banning me Off decks on my first Oriana cruse.

When I stood in for one cruise as the Chief VO the morning meetings were dominated by Tony's presence
Such good memories

Where are you from: Sydney Australia

Email  

Sad news, a great man, a great engineer and a great leader of men. He did a brilliant job keeping us all in line and heaven knows we needed keeping in line!

Where are you from: Nuneaton, England

Email  

I joined Oriana on my first trip to sea on 6th february 1967! Mozzo was Chied then with Dave King as 1st and Charlie Newby as Senior 2nd. Mozzo was a distant character then as really befits the times and Oriana's status. Hen carried out his rounds mid morning with Dave in tow and everyone stood in some awe.
Mozzo later was assigned to Canberra for a while and returned quite a different entity when he joined Oriana. Much more alined to the well being of his guys and I think gained from this. We certainly did! we has a couple of incidents on board, one involved the malfunction of the stabilisers that required extra time worked during which he offered to shae his night lunch. No small thing indeed! He also intervened in a incident with a Head waiter who objected to a late arrival for dinner after the 4-8 watch. We submitted a report regarding this guy's behaviour and Mozzo took it on board and there was certainly an effect!
Rest in Piece old boss! God Bless you.

Where are you from: Allbrook, Eastleigh, Hants

Email