Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Banned off Deck, how many times?

twice for me 😏

Where are you from: South wales

Re: Banned off Deck, how many times?

Once ...

Where are you from: Indianapolis, Indiana.

Email  

I remember John Birchenough or Mark Hoddinott being with me sneaking down to the Arcadia disco (1971!) when we should have been off decks because we were 12-4. We were caught by DP Dickie Harries and I got a rather Presbyterian Scottish dressing down with lots of shouting and two weeks ban from John Morrison, my CRO.

Where are you from: West Mersea, Essex

Email  

I remember John Birchenough or Mark Hoddinott being with me sneaking down to the Arcadia disco (1971!) when we should have been off decks because we were 12-4. We were caught by DP Dickie Harries and I got a rather Presbyterian Scottish dressing down with lots of shouting and two weeks ban from John Morrison, my CRO.

Where are you from: West Mersea, Essex

Email  

Thanks to Norman P I got banded of decks twice for checking the inside of my eyelids on watch

Where are you from: Sydney previous Romford UK

No, I was never banned off decks. Even Mozzo was pretty good with us. No problems wheeling in 1970/71.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

I was done twice. Once for defying the J2 (a big lad with a certain rep. lol)and once for playing darts in the Wardroom and not going to Captains Cocktails when directly ordered.

Regarding wheeling in, on most ships you were in danger of getting banned for NOT wheeling in, especially when the aforementioned J2 was the enforcer. :-)

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

Forgot to mention what I did ...

It started out by me chopping the feet of a Deputy Captain
and escalated into mayhem, followed by 4 weeks off decks.

Where are you from: Indianapolis, Indiana.

Email  

B.O.D. yes at least once may have been more, the other part of the punishment was Tap Stopped which made things difficult. Funny even though I was B.O.D. I still needed to attend Captains Cocktails.
IanB

Quote: Robert Hill

Ah Robert - so you had the "pleasure" of sailing with John Morrison then! You have my sympathies. I thought he was an absolutely ghastly man, who should never have been in charge of staff anywhere. He toadied to the Captain, Chief Engineer and Purser and bullied his staff although, admittedly, he stopped trying it on me after I stood up to him on one memorable occasion whilst in Canberra. The only thing I ever leaned from him, was how NOT to behave when I achieved a position of authority - and it worked admirably, lol! He was, incidentally, one of the VERY few people whom I met during my 26 years at sea, whom I really disliked - the total in that particular category, I could count on less than the fingers of one hand, so he was pretty special!

Where are you from: Ringwood, England

Email  

Twice for me too.
One was on the Orcades or Himalaya..?? Homeward bound from OZ very few passengers, shortly after I was BOD there seemed to be an epidemic, and a good proportion of the Engine department was skulking, drinking and making mayhem in the accommodation. So much so that we were all re-instated!

Second time was on the Canberra rushing back from a session on decks in sports gear, late for Captains Cocktails. I was doing a 'Pink panther' creep across the lift foyer towards my cabin when the lift doors opened and there was all the top brass facing out, on their way down,D.Smith at the front!

Where are you from: Now Gozo

Email  

Quote: Mike Makell
Thanks to Norman P I got banded of decks twice for checking the inside of my eyelids on watch

Wow, that would have meant 90% of the watch-keepers in my time!

Where are you from: Now Gozo

Email  

Quote: Kerry Evison
Quote: Mike Makell

Wow, that would have meant 90% of the watch-keepers in my time!

I remember one morning on Oronsay walking through the accommodation at about 10am. I met the 4-8 fridge watch keeper. he said 'I have just woke up'. I thought he meant he had just got out bed.
What he meant was he had been asleep in his hidey-hole, and had slept all morning, as well as all his watch !! LOL The 8-12 watch keeper just took over the watch thinking he had gone off early.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

I lost count, I would say at least 6 times, often for a month or two at a time.
I was very good at being caught every time I did something naughty, which was pretty often.
My thanks go to Andy Jackson (Jackie)for blaming me for things I didn't even do.
We had a pact that we would squeal on each other, whatever the consequences. I came of worse of course until the day he was caught diving into a pile of lifejackets during an Oriana Dry Docking. As he was mid flight the hierarchy came round the corner as he shouted 'It wasn't me chief, It was Oakesy'.

Where are you from: Cape Town

Email  

They must have been very tolerant on Oriana in 1970/71. There was never any issues with wheeling in. I actually can't remember any engineers being banned off decks, with one notable exception.

There was a first trip junior on one Mediterranean cruise around August 1971. When in Istanbul he was found in one of the first class lifts by the Captain in his jocks only. He was filthy and wet, doing headstands against the lift wall. We later heard that he had been seen climbing up one of the mooring lines.

I can't remember his name but he was confined to his cabin for the remainder of the cruise and put off in Southampton.

Email  

Quote: Greg Sinclair
They must have been very tolerant on Oriana in 1970/71. There was never any issues with wheeling in. I actually can't remember any engineers being banned off decks, with one notable exception.

There was a first trip junior on one Mediterranean cruise around August 1971. When in Istanbul he was found in one of the first class lifts by the Captain in his jocks only. He was filthy and wet, doing headstands against the lift wall. We later heard that he had been seen climbing up one of the mooring lines.

I can't remember his name but he was confined to his cabin for the remainder of the cruise and put off in Southampton.

Correction. On second thoughts, I think he was locked up in the clink, not his cabin.

Email  

I was banned off decks 4 days into my first trip on Oriana.
I was weeling into the aft engineers accommodation door when the chief and first came round the corner. He said 'say goodnight mister Oakes' I said 'goodnight Mr Oakes'
12-4 next day and Banned off decks.
Was also BODWAS (Banned off decks, wine account stopped}quite a few times.

Where are you from: Cape Town

Email  

Thats impressive Dave, four days! Some people have no sense of humour. Never was BOD on the Oriana probably because as a member of "M" squad we were in passenger cabins and rarely in the gaze of the senior ranks.
Never found the Oriana a particularly welcoming ship, a bit too stuffy among the 3 stripes and above crowd and dare I say it in some areas overmanned.
Some people got away with poor behaviour untouched.
IanB