Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
How did the M.N. change us?

We all went in green and came out older and presumably wiser; (no such word as wiser). On the way did we discover an unexpected capacity to get along with others from many different backgrounds? To be part of a team? To accept responsibility thrust upon us by circumstances? To acquire a technical ability that would otherwise remain untapped. And possibly mainly to accept the discipline that comes with all of the foregoing. I would like to think that for most of us our character was shaped by those years at sea.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  
Re: How did the M.N. change us?

Sound words. I was a watch keeper from the age of 17 and for the following 12 years. The discipline of turning to 7 days a week and being told watch keepers are dead or alive, they never go sick! I accept good health is in part a genetic fortune and I was lucky to never suffer a day sick in 47 years of working. I have spent the past 25 years as Managing Director of various marine, aviation and defence businesses and a regular measurable in all these businesses was sickie levels, particularly Friday's and Monday's. I must have bored many an HR Manager with the words, they should spend time at sea "you're dead or alive never sick because there's no one else to stand your watch"

Great website for nostalgic and often rose tinted memories of fun days at sea in the 60's and 70's. We were a lucky bunch really.

Where are you from: West Mersea, Essex

I cannot answer this properly because I don't know what I would have been like had I not gone to sea.
However, I did grow up quickly, learned some valuable social skills meeting with all the social classes, yes, including engineers! I discovered 'wheeling in', a very important factor in my maturing process.
I also learned to organise and prioritise workload very quickly to satisfy passengers and my superiors, not always easy.
I would probably have achieved the same ashore, but many years later. One learns quickly when thrown in the deep end!

Where are you from: Fareham UK

Email  

My time with P & O as an engineer was priceless. The responsibilities we were given at such a young age were enormous. On Oriana, I was 4th Engineer at 22 Years. That was a big job.

The time at sea definitely changed me and led to a successful career in building services management and construction. Best thing I ever did.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

Quote: Greg Sinclair
My time with P & O as an engineer was priceless. The responsibilities we were given at such a young age were enormous. On Oriana, I was 4th Engineer at 22 Years. That was a big job.

The time at sea definitely changed me and led to a successful career in building services management and construction. Best thing I ever did.

Nice one Greg, your reply sums it up and the transition to Building Services is a natural progression for many of us. I spent around 20 years in that role and without the M.N. background would have found it much more difficult.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email