Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Where are the rest of our Seadog mates

This website has been wonderful in bringing together lots of our old mates and seeing other photos & stories, etc. However, there are a lot of people who have not made contact.

There are many Seadogs with photos in the website that have only been contributed by others of us who use and watch Seadogs Reunited but we haven't actually heard from them.

I can list a number of Engineers I sailed with on Oriana in 1970/71 that have not found the site or made contact:

Brian Perry
Matthew Gibbs
Pete Walters
Roger Villiers (I did have an Email address for him but it no longer works)
Norm Geehan (I did have an Email address for him but it no longer works)
Dave Collins
Gordon Nichols
Bob Muntz
Andy Chilton
John Betts

There must be hundreds out there who you all knew.

Can anyone suggest how to track down old mates and introduce them to the Seadogs Reunited website.

Where are you from: Bilgola Plateau - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  
Re: Where are the rest of our Seadog mates

Hi Greg Im with you on this matter, There are dozens of Officers and crew who are missing out on this great site , reliving the old days adding there memories for all of us to enjoy and in some cases relive. My Grand kids look at me all strange like when I recall different events, the youngest one says hey Grandpa you can spin a great yarn,,,,, no son there actually true cross my heart hope to die.
About 3 years ago I added a bit here looking for three people from Canberra and Oriana who were close to me, so far nearly 500 hits but NO replies and to me that's sad Im just curious as to how there life has been and where they are now.
It would be great for a lot more contributions.

Where are you from: Orihuela Costa Spain

Email  

Bob Muntz, haven't heard his name mentioned for a long time!

I still have a picture in my head of Bob standing in the alleyway in a 'combination' uniform.

It must have been around 17/1800 hours and going South-North because Bob joined us in a cabin party in the wrong rig, we all yahooed and sent him back to change, he must have taken sometime because by the time he came back the rig had changed and Bob was the centre of even more amusement, he trotted off grumbling to himself. 10 minutes later he came back with a mixture of Blues,Whites,Day and Mess kit!

Where are you from: Gozo

Email  

Bob Muntz was the Boilermaker on Oriana in 1971. He was a Sydney boy like me and quite a character. He always seemed to be blamed when something went wrong with the fuel oil.

I met up with Bob in Sydney a few times in the mid 1970s but have lost contact with him now.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

I keep looking for names from the mid to late 60's who I knew from Arcadia and Iberia, but the only ones I have seen are George Clish and Rod Clayburn.
I can't remember how I found this site, but I presume many have not because they don't know such a thing exists!

Where are you from: Fareham UK

Email  

Richard

Did you know Terry Milligan? He was an Engineer on Iberia mid to late 1960s.

Terry moved out to Sydney and worked at Cockatoo Island Dockyard. It was Terry who gave me the information and contacts for me to start writing to Ken Hewitt to be employed by P & O. I've got a lot to thank him for but don't know where he is now.

Email  

Hi Richard, I actually knew your brother Mike quite well but we have a common friend. Brian Williams.He sailed with me on Himalaya as a Juniour Elect in what would have been my last trip with P&O. I have a distant memory that he ended up with British Airways? A hell of a nice bloke but difficult to see him as a B.A. Captain. Any info welcome.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  

Greg, I just checked the 'fleet list' for when I was on Iberia and Terry was there but I don't remember him. I do have a photo of some Iberia engineers from when we had a day out in the Blue Mountains. Terry may have been one of them. The photo is on my profile page here.
Graham, we did meet once when my brother brought you to Arcadia in Southampton while I was waiting to go on leave. I had a passenger cabin as I had a lady friend staying on board with me during summer '68.
I knew the Williams boys well as we served part of our apprenticeships together. They lived in Lee on the Solent then and had taken up gliding at the local RNAS Daedalus. My brother, Michael, also took it up. Like you, the last I heard of Brian and his twin brother ? they were both in the airline pilot business. I will ask my brother if he has anything recent on them.

Where are you from: Stubbington, UK

Email  

Just had a word with my bro about the Williams's and he hasn't heard from them for years. Last he knew was that Alan was living near Romsey, Hampshire, but didn't know where Brian was.
Both were BA pilots, but they would have had to retire a few years ago.

Email  

I remember Brian Williams
He and I were attached because we are both twins.
Brian left Himalaya and after study joined Dan Air as a pilot becoming chief pilot, and moved to BA when they bought the company.
On the web site is a picture of Dan Air delivering the relief crew, taken at Darwin Airport.
Brian may have been the pilot on that flight.
Last time I heard from Brian was about 12 yrs ago by e-mail.
He was divorced and sailing around the world in his yacht.
At the time of the e-mail, he was in BVI.
after I had Moved to Vancouver, I started for a company called Burrard Refrigeration in 1976, and the company owner was called George Williams, it was Brians' Uncle!

Where are you from: Newcastle upon Tyne /vancouver BC 43yrs (November 30th)

Email  

Barry

Are you related to Andy Chilton. He was a Fridgie on Oriana in 1970/71.

Email  

Do not think there will be very many of my shipmates still alive. I sailed on a number of P&O vessels including Mooltan, Chitra. Ranchi I was an engineer Best Wishes

Where are you from: Northern Ireland

Email  

Hi Barry.
That's a coincident, as I am a twin well.
My brother and I got to know Alan and Brian Williams through our apprenticeship in Portsmouth Dockyard and they lodged with us for a while, at my parents, while their parents moved up from Devon.
Niether of us have heard from them for 20 years or more.

Email  

not many of my old shipmates left I go back to Mooltan Ranchi Chitral Was an engineer on these old steamers & go to the dizzy height of third Wonderul days & NIGHTS on these beautiful liners

Regards Bill Reay

Where are you from: Northern Ireland

Email  

In the words of the song;"Gone to flowers everyone". Sad but true in too many cases.

Email  

Quote: Graham Stephens
In the words of the song;"Gone to flowers everyone". Sad but true in too many cases.
Sorry boys all a bit sad but the other line in the song is; " Gone to young girls every one". May strike a chord?

Email