Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Missing sailing Itineraries

Hi P&O Seadogs,
I sailed as originally Stewards Boy on SS Oronsay from 16/12/1963, but promoted to Assistant Steward by the end of the voyage 05/04/1964.I remained as 1st Class Waiter till I left this ship 20/06/1965.I am missing the sailing schedule 19/01/65-19/05/65.
As I'm doing a scrap book/photo album on MY Days at Sea,any help for this and 2 others
to follow.
Transferred to Arcadia for one voyage 13/09/65 to 19/12/65.
On to the Orsova 26/01/66-16/05/66 [no itinerary].Docking date start of Seamans Strike.
Back on Orsova at end of strike,as a Bedroom Steward.Short of experience as I was only 20!!Assume original itinerary,but about 4 weeks late.
Still on Orsova for 2 more trips,finishing 05/02/67.
Then one trip on Oronsay again,highlighted by closure of Suez outward bound & back via the Cape[No Itinerary].10/04/67-21/08/67.
Final ship-Arcadia-5 voyages between 12/09/67-03/04/69.
My pals on the Arcadia were,Brian Banks from Coventry,Terry Morris from Canvey Island,
Ian Balls from,Beccles,Norman Henthorne ,South Coast,Robert Linden,Irish but living S.Wales,Donovan Youngman,Ipswich [who I am in touch with]& Pip Melia ,Market Bosworth.
Happy to provide itineraries for anyone & any help on my missing ones.
Missing & Found in The Daily Mail [Sat edition] have accepted my email to attempt finding the above but no date given.
Best Wishes,Gary Turner

Where are you from: Born,Birmingham,live in Kidderminster

Email  
Re: Missing sailing Itineraries

Hi Gary,

I can help you out with the Itinerary for the Oronsay 0/04/67-21/08/67.as I was a SPA (Swimming Pool Attendant) on that voyage and I kept a record of all the ports of call, sadly I don't have the dates for the individual ports of call but it should help you.
I will send it to your email address.
You might want to check out the menu on the left hand side of this Seadogs Reunited Website and go to P&O then P&O Steam and highlight which ship you want and you will find the link to Itineraries that have been contributed by various Seadogs including me.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Laurie

Where are you from: Bonbeach , Victoria.Australia. formerly Devon. England

Email  

It looks like I was on Arcadia the same time as you for several trips. I do have itineries for Arcadia during some periods in 1966, 67 and 68. What voyage dates did you want?

Where are you from: Stubbington, UK

Email  

It looks like I was on Arcadia the same time as you for several trips. I do have itineries for Arcadia during some periods in 1966, 67 and 68. What voyage dates did you want?

Email  

Hi Richard,

Do you have the Itineraries for the ARCADIA period January 1966 to April 1966 and again from July 1966 to March 1967 as I have the port details but are missing the actual dates and I would appreciate your help in this matter.
Thanks in advance.

Where are you from: Bonbeach , Victoria . Australia. Formerly Devon , UK

Email  

Hi Richard,
As I was on board Arcadia between 12/09/1967 & 03 April 1969,we must have ,at least been aware of each other.
What was your position.?As I said in my email I was a Bedroom Steward on A deck for that time.Do you recognise any names ,I'm chasing?
Thanks for the offer of itineraries for Arcadia,but I have those.I'm after 2 for Oronsay & 1 for Orsova.
Best Wishes,
Gary

Where are you from: Born,Birmingham,live in Kidderminster

Email  

Hi Gary
I was on Arcadia 22/12/65 to 17/4/66, then 17/7/66 to 26/3/67 as junior lecky, then Iberia 27/767 to 29/10/67 as 2nd lecky and back to Arcadia 14/12/67 to 28/10/68 as 2nd lecky, so you must have asked me to fix a light bulb or hair rollers or such like during that time! I remember the cabin chitties well, top priority for us unless one of the lifts got stuck with passengers inside.

I never did sail on a 'O' boat so have no info for them.

I'm afraid I can't remember names. I have a job remembering my own!!

Email