Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
3 years on and still missing

Its 3 years now since I wrote trying to trace 3 people from my merchant navy days 1964 to 1971 they are ERIC McGUFFIE VO ORIANA,,, GILL CUFFLEY (MAIDEN NAME )WAP CANBERRA AND MOST IMPORTANT IS JANET HILL ( MAIDEN NAME ) TELEPHONE OPERATOR ON CANBERRA/CHUSAN AND POSSIBLY ORSOVA 1970/3. They cant have disappeared from the face of the earth but there are loads who I have sailed with don't frequent this great site maybe they don't want to remember the great deep sea days. P&O passenger ships the engineering department and being on decks matured a quiet 21 year old from a small village in the middle of Scotland. Looking back I have been to countries that most people only read about. It would be great if I could make contact with these guys again or just to know if there still alive. One guy I thought who would be on here was Mick Baxter, I wonder why the oldies are missing. I hope someone can help trace Eric, Gill and Janet.

Where are you from: Orihuela Costa

Email  
Re: 3 years on and still missing

Archie

There are a number of photos & references to Mike Baxter on the website. He was on Oriana during my time.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

Hi Greg , The site has lots of guys and girls I sailed with. it brings back good and sometimes sad memories , (my mates don't believe me when I tell them what we got up to),but then they never left home. I cant find anybody who has any information on Eric,Gill or Janet, I suppose the old saying " they were only Board of Trade Aquaintances " is true. Its seems strange that having spent around 2 years living working and playing (and other things ) in very close proxcimity that, that bond just fades away, then maybe they don't want to relive the past because of personal reasons. Its great to see the reunions are still there. Eric, Gill and Mick are mentioned on here but there is nothing of Janet or where they are today.

Where are you from: Orihuela Costa

Email  

I sailed on Chusan with Janet, sometimes I bump into Bill Read and his wife Connie (Rossiter)they might have a bit of info, could be a big if but worth a try. Bill and Connie both worked on Chusan he was a winger and she a tele-op.

Where are you from: Margate

Hi Archie

When I was on Dock Staff way back at the end of 1958 I met Eric McGuffie. During our lunchtime sessions he always used the saying “roll tidily ol” and it always stuck with me. I never saw him again.

About twenty years or more later when I was a refrigeration sales engineer I had a call from P&O Southampton and the guy asked whether I could send him a refrigerant pressure/temperature comparator. I asked him his name and he replied Eric McGuffie. He couldn’t believe it when I answered is that the “roll tidily ol” McGuffie. He got his comparators baksheesh with our compliments.

A year or so back I spotted his picture on Seadogs in an “Iberia" group photo. If you do find him give him my regards.

All the best

Roger Monk
Ref Engr Carthage, Surat, Perim, Strathmore, Himalaya, Somali

Where are you from: Dartfrd Kent

Email  

In the early seventees I hailed a taxi in Sydney told the driver where I wanted to go, he said hello Derek, turned out I'd sailed with him on Chusan

Where are you from: Margate