Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Chusan World Voyage

The Aurora exhibition has got me thinking about my first world voyage on Chusan in 1970, however my memory has let me down, can anyone help me with the itinery. I know that if I am reminded of the ports all those memories will come flooding back. I am pretty good with names and faces, there are plenty of people on this site who I recognise so if anyone can help I would be really grateful.

Where are you from: Margate

Re: Chusan World Voyage

Hello Derek
Hopefully the following will help to jog your memory!

9 January 1970 Southampton
10 January 1970 Rotterdam
12 January 1970 Lisbon
16 January 1970 Dakar
24 January 1970 Cape Town
27 January 1970 Durban
1 February 1970 Mombasa
7 February 1970 Bombay
10 February 1970 Colombo
17 February 1970 Fremantle
20 February 1970 Adelaide
21 February 1970 Melbourne
24 February 1970 Sydney

28 February 1970 Sydney
2 March 1970 Brisbane
10 March 1970 Manila
12 March 1970 Hong Kong
17 March 1970 Singapore
22 March 1970 Colombo
30 March 1970 Durban
2 April 1970 Cape Town
10 April 1970 Dakar
14 April 1970 Lisbon
16 April 1970 Southampton

Where are you from: Ipswich, UK

Email  

Hi Derek! I had just been appointed Passenger Manager W.A. (having come from Head Office Sydney) and here was my first ship in port to welcome in my new role. It was the first time I really had a chance to look over this fine ship and meet her staff. Unfortunately I can't remember who was the Captain or Purser?
Looking forward to reading your voyage report in due course. Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Woodford Green, Essex and Now Lorne, Victoria, Australia

Email  

Thank you David(Saunders) I remember you very well, my best memories as a boy on Chusan are when working in the bureau. Cherry Orchard, Jean Slade, Graham Heap, Hypolita Louisa Lynkneckt are among the many names I recall. The itinery will be a great help.

Thank you also David D. Not sure who the Purser was possibly Simpson and Captain possibly Howells. I'm sure I will be corrected

From the Fleet Lists on this site (left hand side - "Various" then "Fleet Info") it looks as though the Captain was R B Nowell and the Purser was Brian Tonks.

Where are you from: Ipswich, UK

Email  

It looks like P.E. (Joe) Ballam would have been on Chusan as 4EO for that trip. Joe was a good friend.

Joe came to Oriana at the end of 1970. Joe moved to Brisbane and unfortunately passed on a few years ago.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

Norman (Nippy) Pound was 2nd Engineer on that trip and he always referred to Joe Ballam as "Balham, gateway to the South"

Where are you from: Ipswich originally, now Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

Email  

"Balham gateway to the south".. This was written by Frank Muir and Dennis Norden and sang by Peter Sellars. It is quite a funny skit. I have just reheard it on YouTube and it is still as funny as it was then! Somewhere I still have a long playing record of Peter Sellars songs and skits.

Happy Christmas to all seadogs and may we all have a healthy and happy 2017.

Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Woodford Green and nw Lorne Victoria Australia

Email  

I have given an account of my first two years, which were on Chusan to the young lady from Carnival, so if you go on the world voyage in January you will be able to read it.
I didn't really think about those first two years in great detail until I wrote my story, we travelled to all corners of the world (just about)the itineries were amazing, from the Med to Aussie, Japan, Hong Kong, USA and Canada, South America south of Africa including Angola and Mosambique and the North Cape. All before my 18th birthday. What a life, those two years were followed by Alaska cruising on Oronsay,two world voyages on Canberra and a couple of years on Princess Cruises.
Thank you Steve for this site through which I can look back on those good times, a Merry Christmas to you and all your readers.

Email