Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Oriana in Key West

I was on holiday in Key West Florida earlier this month and you can imagine my delight when Oriana sailed into Mallory Square. My first year at sea was spent on the Original Oriana and seeing the new one brought back a lot of happy memories. With a passenger capacity of between 1800-1900 she is slightly larger than the original who from memory was a little over 1600.

Oriana was on a 50 day cruise out of Southampton and i believe that this was the first time she had visited Key West.

I was disappointed that the original Orient Line yellow funnel had been painted blue.

Where are you from: Wilmington, Sussex

Email  
Re: Oriana in Key West

Yes she is a lovely successor to the big ' O ' but now is no chicken.I think you might be slightly out on the carrying capacity of the original to bear the name.

Where are you from: Essex UK

Email  

I thought the Big O could carry 2,000 passengers with 800 officers and crew.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

The original Oriana -the Big O carried about 1400 in her final seasons in the UK. I think the target for Aussie Cruising was about 1200. I believe she struggled with that in the off season.

Where are you from: Chelmsford Essex

Email  

All thanks to "friendly four" cabins with no ensuite and the F deck shower blocks!!

Where are you from: Northampton

Email  

If you look under "Oriana", "Other Stuff" in the P&O section and scroll down, there is a PDF I submitted some years ago. It is an excerpt from the 1972/73 Lloyds Register and states 2217 passenger capacity

Oriana was a First & Tourist class ship during my time on her.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

General characteristics
Tonnage: 41,910 gross tons
Length: 804ft (245.1m)
Beam: (moulded) 97.1ft (30.5m)
Draught: 32ft
Installed power: 80,000 horsepower
Propulsion:
Two sets of Pametrada steam turbines each consisting of a high pressure, intermediate pressure and low pressure turbine; double reduction gearing; twin propellers
Auxiliary Power: Four auxiliary steam turbines, each driving a 1,750 kW, 220 V DC Generator
Speed:
Trials: 30.64 knots
Service: 27.5 knots
Capacity: As built, 638 1st class, 1,496 tourist class (1973, 1,750 one class)
Crew: As built, 980. (1973, 780)

Where are you from: Sydney

In 1973 she became a one class ship and at that time she was carrying 1750 passengers. But when l sailed in her I never remember her carrying that number of passengers, normally just over 1600. I remember my first cruise on her as a purser cadet in a passenger cabin on F deck aft near to the laundry that held six people with shared toilets and shower facility . I guess these were later changed to accommodate less passengers.

Email  

David, are you sure you weren't in the Goanese quarters?

Where are you from: Ipswich originally, now Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

Email  

Hi Greg.

Definitely passenger accommodation. However l later sailed for a year on Oriana
and often had the Goanese quarter to cover during Captain's inspection. Not the best experience in the world. I remember being invited down to the galley one night by the Goanese for a Chow Pot. OMG nearly blew my head off.

Email