Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
More Memories

P&O finally decided to reward those with a National Certificate with a small pay rise. A first trip Elect was questioned by the Chief Engineer (a man who could be frightening) with the demand "Have you got a National?" The trembling reply "No Chief it's a Sony!." Later the same chap walking in the alleyway, same Chief Engineer (John Skakle) questioned "Where have you come from?". Chief thinking Engine room. Nervous reply "Yorkshire Chief".

Where are you from: Originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  
Re: More Memories

John Skakle that’s a name you remember.

John Skakle joined Strathmore in Sydney in late 59 to take over as our chief engineer who was very ill and taken off. John appeared then to be a lot younger than the normal chiefs, on the ball and quite athletic when up on the sports deck.

My first ref engr always gave me the 4 – 8 on the way home when fully loaded and it was quite a surprise when at 6 am John Skakle appeared in the fridge flat and asked to be shown around and followed me around while I did the log. It was the first time I’d ever seen a Burra Sahib in the fridge flat. Luckily for me I’d stopped smoking at that stage so there was no fag hanging out the corner of my mouth.

It didn’t surprise me later when his name appeared as chief engineer on the Canberra’s Maiden Voyage fleet list.

Roger

Where are you from: Dartfrd Kent

Email  
Re: More Memories

Quote: Roger Monk
John Skakle that’s a name you remember.

John Skakle joined Strathmore in Sydney in late 59 to take over as our chief engineer who was very ill and taken off. John appeared then to be a lot younger than the normal chiefs, on the ball and quite athletic when up on the sports deck.

My first ref engr always gave me the 4 – 8 on the way home when fully loaded and it was quite a surprise when at 6 am John Skakle appeared in the fridge flat and asked to be shown around and followed me around while I did the log. It was the first time I’d ever seen a Burra Sahib in the fridge flat. Luckily for me I’d stopped smoking at that stage so there was no fag hanging out the corner of my mouth.

It didn’t surprise me later when his name appeared as chief engineer on the Canberra’s Maiden Voyage fleet list.

Roger

Hi Roger, Thanks for reply, John Skakle I sailed with for 3 years, A hard man who did not suffer fools. A genuine Engineer and Commodore Chief. He commanded respect.I took as a great compliment when he asked me into his cabin for a beer.
Incidentally if you look at the fleet list for the Canberra maiden voyage a lot of them ultimately ended up on Himalaya.Presumably John Skakle is now in that great Engine room in the sky

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email