Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Neglected

Gentlemen,As we look back to the never to be repeated "Good old days." let us consider those Ladies who, like us, gave their all during their service on the big ships. I am thinking of those Ladies in the Pursers Dept. The nursing sisters, The Telephonists ,the Chilli Ho's (made a beeline for the 4th Officer).
All of these contributed to a "Happy Ship". Many were thought to be
un-approachable for some reason, but in many case had unexpected talents. I know at least one who would have made an excellent PA. At this point I will say no more.They were all good girls.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Re: Neglected

HEAR, HEAR!
During my time at sea, I entertained, and was entertained by, many such ladies. I was once engaged to a Chilli-Ho but ended up marrying a Dutch WAP, to whom I am still happily married.

Where are you from: Ipswich originally, now Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

On Himalaya in the 60s we had a great foursome of tele-ops. We had a new one join us from Hereford but unfortunately I can’t remember her name. I remember sitting alongside her early one morning in the exchange giving passengers an early morning call for their coming shore trip. The days of chivalry existed even then. The only name I do remember from that group was Thelma who was engaged to one of the Store-keepers.

I’ve related this story before but the tele-ops used the aft end of the tourist sports deck as did the engineers for bronzy bronzy. Off the Ozzie coast one afternoon a black cloud approached the ship. It wasn’t rain but a swarm of locusts. Suddenly we were engulfed. One landed on Thelma who was enjoying the sun and in a split second she was from the sleepy horizontal to a tiny figure disappearing down the deck at 100mph. After a few minutes the invaders took off and peace returned.

Roger Monk Ref Engr

Where are you from: Dartfrd Kent

Agree 100% - Became good friends with many WAP's (being in the same Dept) ... very special ladies. Let's not forget the female Entertainment Officers also. On my first trip as a cadet I went ashore & bought a pair of long pants. Suffice to say they were a bit too long & needed "taking up". A delightful female Ents officer volunteered & invited me to her cabin so that she could pin them up. For reasons that I cannot explain, she seemed to take ages with my inside leg measurement, and wanted to make sure that I was hanging the "right" way !

Where are you from: Brisbane

Roger Monk
On Himalaya in the 60s we had a great foursome of tele-ops. We had a new one join us from Hereford but unfortunately I can’t remember her name. I remember sitting alongside her early one morning in the exchange giving passengers an early morning call for their coming shore trip. The days of chivalry existed even then. The only name I do remember from that group was Thelma who was engaged to one of the Store-keepers.

I’ve related this story before but the tele-ops used the aft end of the tourist sports deck as did the engineers for bronzy bronzy. Off the Ozzie coast one afternoon a black cloud approached the ship. It wasn’t rain but a swarm of locusts. Suddenly we were engulfed. One landed on Thelma who was enjoying the sun and in a split second she was from the sleepy horizontal to a tiny figure disappearing down the deck at 100mph. After a few minutes the invaders took off and peace returned.

Roger Monk Ref Engr
Thanks Roger for bringing back a name I had forgotten. If I remember rightly that would have been Thelma Bradford? A friendly girl who had been at sea for some time.Very popular.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

As a JAP on Oriana the Tele-ops were a marvellous source of information to a wet behind the ears JAP on night call duty. They had seen it all and dealt with it all a thousand times before. My first two duty nights were full of excitement, a missing person, a stowaway and a lady collapsing in the cinema. Without the wonderful tele-ops I would not have had a clue what to do.

Where are you from: Wilmington, Sussex