Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
New Project

I'm about to commence a huge project which will interrupt the Seadogs names and photo linking task for a while. The daughter of Robert L Gordon (deceased) contacted me to see if I was interested in most of her late father's P&O memorabilia consisting of;

Orsova Dec 1960 - Passenger List
Chusan Mar 1969 - Embarkation Booklet, Entertainment Guide, 'Good Morning' Newsletter, Race Meeting Card.
Oriana May 1969 - Embarkation Booklet, TV & Radio Times, 'Oriana News'.
Oriana June 1969 - Entertainment Guide, Race Meeting Card, List of Officers, TV Radio Guide, 'Oriana News'.
Iberia Sept 1969 - Itinerary, Officers list, List Important passengers, Entertainment guide, 'Good Morning'.
Oriana Oct 71 - Embarkation Guide.
Chitral 1972 - Race program.
Oriana Dec 1973 - Log of my cruise , Entertainment guide, Mason Gathering list of names etc, Xmas Carol booklet, Oriana News.
Oronsay Oct 1974 - Log, Entertainment guide, Remembrance Day service booklet, 'Today's Arrangements'.
Oriana Jan 77 - Log, Entertainment Guide.
Oriana Dec 78 - Log.
Arcadia Jan 79 - Entertainment Guide, Officers Revue Card, 'Today's Arrangements'.
Sea Princess 80 - Log, Entertainment Guide, 'Princess Patter'.
Oriana 83 - Log, Entertainment Guide.
Photos interior Royal Princess July 1986.
Few copies of PEN P&O Staff Newspaper.
Plus lots of port info and shore excursion booklets, menus, invitations to cocktail parties etc.

Of course I said yes and the first of 3 parcels has arrived. Robert L Gordon worked for P&O Sales Australia and loved cruising so in return I'll be memorialising Robert on the site as only the second honorary Seadog along with his life's collection of P&O priceless history.

Thanks Jacqui.

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  
Re: New Project

Parcel 2 and 3 have just arrived ... OMG, that's a hell of a lot of scanning ahead of me :-)

Email  

Sounds fabulous Steve, I am particularly interested in seeing the Oronsay stuff.
IanB

Where are you from: South Australia

I've just opened those other two parcels and was absolutely delighted to find amongst all the printed stuff are five video cassettes and one super 8 movie. I've just watched the fantastic video called "The Life of Oriana 1960-1986" and the tears flowed I have to tell you. I recognised quite a few people that I sailed with like Capt Philip Jackson and there's a brilliant close up of Mike Gold during the Oriana leaving Sydney for the last time under tow to Japan. I can't wait to watch the others and start work digitalising all this great footage. The other titles are;

Arcadia Sydney Farewell 29.1.79.
Sea Princess Maiden Voyage. (Super 8 - I might have to send this to Kevin Timms to convert)
P&O Documentary.
Oriana Brisbane Call.
In Brisbane Today - Promotional Video.

Email  

Steve, Just can't wait to see the Oriana one!!

This old stuff is just priceless.

Where are you from: Nynehead UK

Email  

Hi Steve, This will be a labour of love. When the sweat breaks out on the back of your neck reach for the salt tablets.

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  

Hi Steve! I worked with Bob over many years during my shore time with P&O Orient Lines and then P&O. Bob was always in the Sydney Office and a long time in our Reservations Department doing the ship's berthing lists. A great fellow!

His collection will be a wonderful addition to your already great site. Like others will be looking forward to seeing the Oriana video etc,

I know the National Maritime museum in Sydney, which has lots of my own memorabilia which took them 6 months to acknowledge. When I visited and couldn't see anything I was told it was in storage and they couldn't say when it might appear! I suppose that's the problems with museums they have more stock than space! I now wish of course I hadn't and could have shared them here.

At least now all the many seadogs will be able to enjoy Bob's rather than they be lost in a museum.

Good luck with your cataloguing! Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Not my favorite ship but the end of that video was very sad, almost criminal to see her towed out.
IanB

Interesting comments David. I have ORIANA'S telescope and one of her original Mercer chronometers with it's installation certificate and was considering donating them but have hesitated for that very reason.Will certainly not do so now.

Email  

The most beautiful ship ever to put to sea.
I am proud to have been an Engineer on her.
Her eventual end makes me sick.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

Keep them Mike and hand them down through the family as heirlooms. Worth uploading pictures though to Seadogs site

Where are you from: Pinner, Middlesex

Email  

Hi Richard!

You are the first seadog who comes from where I went to school. (I left in 1953 ). Originally known as the Royal Pinner Commercial Travellers School it dropped the Pinner and finally closed in 1967. It opened in the 1850's and was a boarding school for boys and girls who had lost their Commercial Traveller Father. I had a fairly tough time but fortunately good at sports.
I understand the Elliott Hall is the only building left standing and the Old scholars have a reunion at Hatch End every couple of years. The have a Church Service at St Anselms, Hatch End, and then do a "crocodile" walk back to the Elliott Hall, breaking step as they cross over the railway bridge!

The school couldn't have been too bad as, when I left I applied for a job with Orient Line, got accepted as a Cadet Purser. I came ashore in 1957 and stayed with that Company/then P&O until "retirement" in 1986.

Since then been running our own businesses.

I see you were a Doctor on board. Are you still practising?

Kind regards, David.

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

I just looked at the movie of Arcadia leaving Sydney. She looked great.

It's a pity Oriana couldn't have left under her own steam. That would have been much better to see.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

Good to see the lads in the boiler room attempting to stop the traffic on the bridge but the weather conditions did not assist. How long has this childish prank been perpetrated ? I know we scored 3 on the Oronsays last homeward run, Sydney Harbour, Lions Gate Vancouver, and Golden Gate S.F.
IanB