Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Update

UPDATE (Life of Oriana 1960-1986 movie).

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  
Re: Update

Steve other names in the Life of Oriana film that I noted are Captain Clifford Edgecumbe during her trials.Also faithful Coxswain Cyril Smith.Captain Phil Reid,
Captain Mike Cavaghan,Captain "Sammy " Bradford.Bruce Moreton-Smith and many Sydney office staff that bring back lots of memories.
The riding crew on the tow for her final voyage to OSAKA were Mike Gold, George McHugh,
Dave Mitchell, Geoff Stoker,and Tom Heyhoe.

Email  

Hi Mike!

I know we are getting old but but it is Captain Edgecombe. I think he was the best Captain I sailed with and when I came ashore to work with the Company he always treated my like an old friend. He of course settled in Sydney after his retirement.

Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Yes David we are getting old, thanks for the correction in the spelling.!!Never sailed under him but he was a legend in his own time from the stories passed around.

Email  

Wow how emotional to see Oriana leaving Sydney for the last time under tow. I remember well leaving Australia heading back to England during my first year at sea. It brought back many happy memories of the year that I spent on Oriana. Seeing Cyril Smith as a young man, what a Gent he was. I can only imagine how it must have felt Mike to take her to her final resting place.

Where are you from: Wilmington, Sussex

Email