Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Orcades or Oronsay?

Geoff Horan sent me this photo from a 1959 movie called "The Captains Table", showing either Orcades or Oronsay masquerading as "Queen Adelaide". It shows the ship in the old colours. Does anyone know which ship it is?

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  
Re: Orcades or Oronsay?

The Captain's table!
I think Oronsay but will revert if I am wrong as I am checking with some old Orient Line colleagues.
Those who have never seen the film should as it is a reminder of the "glory" days of being at sea!
The synopsis is below and the cast was those great British film characters of the 60s.

The Captain's Table is a 1959 British comedy film directed by Jack Lee from a novel by Richard Gordon. It starred John Gregson, Donald Sinden, Peggy Cummins and Nadia Gray, and featured Maurice Denham, Joan Sims, John Le Mesurier, Richard Wattis and Reginald Beckwith in leading supporting roles.

"After serving all his working life with the 'South Star' line, exclusively in cargo ships, Albert Ebbs is finally given command (abeit temporarily) of the SS Queen Adelaide, a cruise liner sailing from London to Sydney. An excellent seaman. he finds that he now has many social obligations that he does not have the skills to fulfill. He must preside at the Captain's Table, host cocktail parties, judge beauty contests and dance with the lady passengers. He must also cope with amorous widows, young couples who want him to marry them and a blustering ex-major who claims to have the ear of the Chairman of the shipping line.

To add to his woes, most of the officers and crew, led by the Chief Purser, are actively on the fiddle. The Captain doesn't fully realise this until the last night of the cruise, when champagne being served is revealed to be cider, with the crew pocketing the considerable profits.

All comes out well - just. The Captain finds himself engaged to be married to an attractive widow, the Chief Officer is also engaged to a young heiress and the larcenous officers are arrested by Sydney police"

Cheers, David.

Oh for Google rather than the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

"Oronsay was one of the ships seen in the 1958 British comedy film The Captain's Table. Stock footage of all three post war Orient ships was used to depict the fictional SS Queen Adelaide and some scenes were shot on board at Tilbury Docks.[4] Orient ships were also seen in stock footage in the 1962 British comedy film Carry On Cruising.[2]"
The above was extracted from Wikipedia under the heading "Oronsay".

[1]

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Further to my earlier reply re which ship it was, one of my old colleagues suggested the ship shown by you with the name on it was in fact Orsova. This one had no mast and you cant see one in this photo. As the Wikipedia site said they used several Orient Line ships and he may well be right!!

Let's see if you get any other replies. Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Yes David the picture shown would appear to be ORSOVA from the shape of the bow alone.

Email  

Is the ship in the background a P&O ship?
White hull and yellow funnel?

Where are you from: Yorkshire, Europe

Email  

Yes Geoff after 1960 it was! P&O and Orient Steam Navigation Company were merged with P&O being the takeover "King" in the middle of 1960

Orient Line was established in 1863 and its traditions were different to P&O and many were kept on after the merger. It wasn't long after this that Officers went from one Company to the other.

Look up Orient Line on google or try and find a book called "Orient Line a fleet history" by Peter Newall. It was published in the UK in 2004 by Ships in focus publications who come from Preston. I don't know if they are still in business.

There are quite a few seadogs who worked on Orient Line ships and a lot of these ships were built in Barrow on Furness. Their main routes were to/from Australia and cruising.

Hope this helps? Cheers, David

Email  

Hi Mike! These "old" ships certainly take some interest and I agree with you that it is Orsova.

Firstly the badge on the bow looks like Orsovas which the ship's name is taken from the Iron Gate rapids at the town of Orsova on the Danube which was a barrier to ships trying to enter the Danube. Incidentally these name badges on Orient Line ships opened up and a searchlight was used to help the ship when transiting the Suez Canal.

Also you can just see her unique Welsh hat funnel!

So Steve in answer to your Original question. (A) the ship in the picture is Orsova but (B) the ships in the film were generally Orient Liners Oronsay and Orcades and most of the filming done at Tilbury.

Cheers, David.

Email  

Oronsay was one of the ships seen in the 1958 British comedy film The Captain's Table. Stock footage of all three post war Orient ships was used to depict the fictional SS Queen Adelaide and some scenes were shot on board at Tilbury Docks.[4] Orient ships were also seen in stock footage in the 1962 British comedy film Carry On Cruising.[2]

Yes, definitely Orsova in the photo above. Each of the "O" Boats has an individual bow-crest: Orcades the Harp, Oronsay the Targe & Broadsword and Orsova the Watergate... so this is Orsova :-)

Email  

I will venture the ship in the background is Chusan, Looks like a Thornycroft Funnel, both Himalaya and Chusan had thornycrofts just don't think its Himalaya.
I always thought the Oronsay etc had Welsh Bonnets as funnel tops. not Welsh Hats just nit picking.
IanB

Where are you from: South Australia

She does not appear to have any bridge wings though, as those ships did.
Or is that a trick of perspective?

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

Hi Geoff! It's a trick of perspective as the wing tip is just behind the crane. Go into Google and see photographs etc of Orsova and you will see how the bridge extends outwards. Whilst not a Navigator I have stood on that ship's bridge many times. Where some seadogs who have sailed Orsova.

Cheers, David.

Steve,,, a well chosen photo which stirred a lot of interest so maybe in your treasure chest you have something else to stimulate us "stay at homes"?

Email  

If you go back to the top of this thread David you'll see it was Geoff Horan who came up with this photo not me. I'm currently working on the massive collection of Rob Gordon's, scanned 21 great photos of all our favourites yesterday which should be uploaded soon plus some photos and a video of the man himself and then I have a tonne of printed material to go through. There should be something for everyone in this lot I'm sure. Please be patient.

Email  

I think the Orsova is correct after all, check the badge on the pointy end.
Oronsay has a circle with a sword through it, the Orsova has what looks like a portcullis.

Hi Steve! I had realised that you weren't the originator but thought the "puzzle" was a good one and no doubt in your wonderful collection you would have others similar. I am looking forward to your releasing more of Rob's bits and pieces.

Cheers, David.

Email  

Quote: David Dickinson
Hi Geoff! It's a trick of perspective as the wing tip is just behind the crane. Go into Google and see photographs etc of Orsova and you will see how the bridge extends outwards. Whilst not a Navigator I have stood on that ship's bridge many times. Where some seadogs who have sailed Orsova.

Cheers, David.

Steve,,, a well chosen photo which stirred a lot of interest so maybe in your treasure chest you have something else to stimulate us "stay at homes"?

hello David,
The ship I was talking about re the bridge wings is the white one in the background of the picture, under way in the middle of the harbour.

The ship which is the main picture is Orsova, as has been pointed out.

I was wondering if it could be one of the 'Strath' ships?

Email  

"PORTCULLIS"?

What's one of those?

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

One of these Greg.

Email  

No idea but it looks too small to be a Strath one and the front of the ship looks different!

Obviously we will be keeping this page going for awhile as we sort out "your" ship which I hadn't even noticed till your comment

Cheers, David.

Email  

We haven't got any castles in NSW, not sure if Sir Leanord of Hutt in Western Australia has one :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

Quote: kevin o'connor
We haven't got any castles in NSW, not sure if Sir Leanord of Hutt in Western Australia has one :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

What about Castlemaine XXXX, (chortle)

Email  

We have one in Victoria. It looks like a castle so just google same and see whatit looks like!

HISTORY OF KRYAL Just 20KM from Ballarat in Central Victoria

A castle fit for a King!

Kryal Castle emerged from the vision of one man – Keith Ryall.

As a young boy Keith received a gift from his uncle who had returned from World War 2. It was a captured enemy sword. Keith instantly became enraptured by it, making his declaration that he would one day build his own castle and become a king!

As a young man Keith continued to follow his dream and avidly learnt all he could of the medieval era. He learnt to fashion armour and swords in the shed behind his house in Creswick, and as the demand for his work grew, so too did his need for an ‘appropriate’ place to work from…

In 1972, Keith began building the castle, which formally opened 2 years later primarily as a tourist attraction but also as an educational, conference and function facility with ‘royal’ accommodation and a wedding chapel.

Thirty eight years later and after various reincarnations, Kryal Castle (under new management) underwent a major upgrade and redevelopment to not only recapture the swords and sorcery magic of its 1970’s heyday but to create Australia’s only medieval adventure park and resort – a land of myth, magic and medieval adventure.

The drawbridge re-lowered on March 2, 2013.

In November 2013 the Castle was awarded a Victorian Tourism Award for Best New Tourism Development.

In November 2014, Kryal Castle celebrated its 40th birthday.

Kryal Castle was named Gold Winner – Tourist Attractions at the 2015 RACV Victorian Tourism Awards.

Email