Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Name This Ship

OK, here's a tempter from Rob Gordon's collection which I'm currently working on. Can anyone name this ship?

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  
Re: Name This Ship

Orcades.

Wrong, sorry Kevin :-)

Email  

Steve I thing its Orion

Where are you from: truro cornwall now mornington vic au

Email  

Looks like the very old Orion?

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  

Has to be either Orion of 1935, or her sister, Orcades (II), of a similar vintage. Orcades was, sadly, lost in the Second World War, hence the construction of Orcades (III) in 1948.

Email  

Congratulations Peter Niblett and all the other's who agreed. I have to admit that this was solved a lot quicker than I imagined but it just shows how amazing you all are.

Email  

Actually Steve, it shows how old we all are!

Where are you from: originally Gosport now Campbelltown

Email  

Hi Graham! I think you have it "we are all getting older". I am little surprised that so many seadogs have recognised Orient Line ships although I have noticed many have served on Oriana, ex Orient Line. No doubt before her final voyage she would have offered many indications of her Orient Line beginnings.

Cheers, David.

Is that Campbelltown NSW or UK?

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Quote: David Dickinson
Hi Graham! I think you have it "we are all getting older". I am little surprised that so many seadogs have recognised Orient Line ships although I have noticed many have served on Oriana, ex Orient Line. No doubt before her final voyage she would have offered many indications of her Orient Line beginnings.

Cheers, David.

I joined the company in 1971, and we had the Orient line cap badges. They were changed to the P&O ones in 1973 I think it was.
I still have mine somewhere tucked away.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email  

Cheers, David.

It also helps if you've been nuts about ships from the age of about 6! I always loved the classic liners of P&O and Orient and went out of my way to learn as much as possible about them. I remember an amusing incident in school, when I was about 14, being told off by a master for not paying attention, as I was drawing a sketch of Canberra in my rough-book at the time!!!

It was only a natural progression that I should eventually join the Company and go to sea. Sadly now though, having been so interested and so keen on the ships, I have practically no enthusiasm at all, for today's modern cruise vessels. Another big, ugly floating shoebox rolls off the production line and I just go - "Whatever!"

Email  

Quote: Alan Mackenzie

Cheers, David.

It also helps if you've been nuts about ships from the age of about 6! I always loved the classic liners of P&O and Orient and went out of my way to learn as much as possible about them. I remember an amusing incident in school, when I was about 14, being told off by a master for not paying attention, as I was drawing a sketch of Canberra in my rough-book at the time!!!

It was only a natural progression that I should eventually join the Company and go to sea. Sadly now though, having been so interested and so keen on the ships, I have practically no enthusiasm at all, for today's modern cruise vessels. Another big, ugly floating shoebox rolls off the production line and I just go - "Whatever!"

To me, they are just glorified ferries.
They have no personality, or ever go anywhere do they?
And as far as I know, life is so regimented you may as well be in a factory.
The days we loved are over.

Email  

Hi Geoff I think that the time we were at sea 1966. To 1986 must have been the best time to be at sea . When you hear about some of the stories now about drinking or non drinking you could possibly be really dehydrated. As for the ships themselves they just look like a block of flats . By the way I have just received an email tonight informing me that Maurice Marriott died late in March .He was one of the Chief Engineers on my first ship Chusan . I think he was one of the first Chief Engineers on The Spirit of London . Hope all is well with you

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

Email  

Good to see you poke your head above the parapet Colin.Yes Maurice had a good and important innings in the Company we all liked and respected in those halcyon days.
Now back resident in UK and might call in to Silloth during the summer.

Email  

Yes Colin,
Life was really just one long party for us wasn't it? (except when work interrupted it)
Christmas for instance used to start about early December and carry on until well in the new year. The only time we weren't partying was when we were asleep, and that wasn't often. lol.
I don't remember Maurice, and did not sail with him, but it is always sad to hear of another one of the old club going.
lets hope we have another few years yet.

Email