Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Cap Badges

On a recent forum about Orient ship names, the Orient cap badge was mentioned.

I have sent Steve photos of my cap and a close up of the badge from my time in 1970/71. At the time, I just thought it was a P & O Badge.

Oriana was First & Tourist class back then and we still wore long Whites. Our stripes on our Blues were on our sleeves.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  
Re: Cap Badges

I was on Oriana 1967 - 68 when, Orient style whites, with the mandarin collars could be still worn, or "normal" whites.

Where are you from: Saundersfoot Pembrokeshire UK

Email  

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

greg that was the only cap badge I knew,I always thought it was p&o not orient line.I was on chitral in 68-69 and we had to wear blue mess jackets on decks but I think that was because captain cowan liked the rig.not company policy.thats power for you,but an expence for all the boys.

Where are you from: truro cornwall now mornington melbourne southern beachs

Email  

Hi! I tried to get a copy of the badge I used to wear as an Assistant Purser in the 50s before integration with P&O. I am sure the badge shown in P&O> The references below may help if not google Orient Line Cap Badges and you will see the one with the Orient Line flag in the middle. Hope the following helps. At the moment Icant find my cap badge!!
Cheers, David.

image: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/1665/media-1665650/preview.jpg
image: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/547/media-547024/preview.jpg
image: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/547/media-547023/preview.jpg

Object connections:

Provenance: Orient Line

Object details:

Object ID
UNI4130

Description
Black wool cap badge of the shipping company Orient Steam Navigation Company Limited over a core. The badge contains a white rectangular flag of applied ribbed silk fabric embroidered with a blue cross overall of twisted silk thread. Applied gold coil outlines the flag and cross. In the centre of the flag there is a red velvet crown with gold coil and embroidered with metal purl and polychrome silk threads. The flag is surrounded by laurel leaves of black thread work and stems of applied black coil. The badge is attached to a black mohair cap band.

Date made

Credit
National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London

Materials
gold; metal; mohair; silk; velvet; wool

Measurements
Overall: 65 mm x 280 mm x 10 mm

Parts
•Cap badge, Orient Steam Navigation Company Limited (UNI4130)

Read more at http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/75340.html#tX2kO5MiGPvTk2JK.99

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Sent by David Dickinson and writes - Orient Line cap badge certainly in use up to integration with P&O in 1960.

Sent by Geoff Horan.

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  

HI Steve and Geoff. Having look at some of the earlier photos from your form pages Steve it appears that the P&O cap badge on the left would have been in the earlier days and after integration with Orient Line and the right hand cap badge from certainly the 80s and maybe earlier.

I will try and source the actual dates if I can but I hope perhaps some of the seafaring seadogs of the 70/80s would know when the change over happened?

Cheers, David.

Where are you from: Lorne Victoria originally Woodford Green Essex (and Worcester during the war)

Email  

Hello Steve and Geoff
I've had a look through my photos posted on this site and the badge on the left was in use in 1970 and the badge on the right with the P&O flag was in use in 1980. At least this narrows the change-over date to within ten years!
David

Where are you from: Ipswich, UK

Email  

The change was when they created Passenger Division, 1972.

Quote: David Saunders
Hello Steve and Geoff
I've had a look through my photos posted on this site and the badge on the left was in use in 1970 and the badge on the right with the P&O flag was in use in 1980. At least this narrows the change-over date to within ten years!
David

The badge on the left was the one I wore from joining in November 1971. It would have been 1973 when we changed over to the other uniforms I think.
I was working on Oronsay, an Orient Line ship, at the time.
We changed from long whites and jackets and ties (Orient), to open necked shirts and shorts, long socks and white shoes (P&O).
That was the same whites I had on my first trip on Pando Head, which was a P&O ship.
We also changed from having our stripes on our sleeves to having them like the mates, on our shoulders. ( not a good step that one)

I think it was about that time we had to reregister in our home ports.
We had new Discharge Books, which did not have the Conduct and Ability sections in them.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Email