Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marty Elliot.

I have received the very sad news this morning that Marty lost his long running battle with Cancer yesterday. His wife and family were with him at the time. A true gentleman and character who will be missed by so many.

Re: Marty Elliot.

I'm in shock, devastatingly sad news. That's me with my back to the camera holding the cassette player playing Christmas music down below on Oriana with Mike Jack, Marty and John Speed on Christmas Day 1975.

R.I.P. Marty.

So sad, RIP Marty

Where are you from: Sydney

Only just last month Marty was at the Reunion lunch in Southampton and although changed in appearance from his illness was like his normal self. Lovely man. RIP.

Where are you from: Essex UK

So sad to hear this news. Marty was one of the best colleagues and friend, with whom I had the pleasure of serving. We sailed together with him as C/E/O and me as S/E/T/O in Canberra, Victoria and Arcadia (III). He will be greatly missed.

Sorry to hear of Martin's departure. We were suppose to meet up last year when he was in Devon, sadly other things prevented this. What a great guy and Oriana mate,one of the best and will be sadly missed. From what I got from him when he was Chief on the Queen Mary, the stress of the job was not nice.

Where are you from: Parkham. Devon

Marty's funeral will take place at Wakefield Crematorium, Standbridge Lane, Kettlethorpe, Wakefield, WF4 3JA at 1.00 pm on Friday, 30 June. Afterwards there will be a reception at Sandal Rugby Club, Standbridge Lane, Wakefield, WF2 7DY.

Family flowers only - any donations to Yorkshire Cancer Research.

Martyn’s wife Christine has requested that gentlemen wear bright coloured odd socks!

For catering purposes, Charlie Hill is co-ordinating the numbers attending, so if you plan to go, please notify him at the following email address: charliekate124@gmail.com

RIP Marty

Memories never leave those left.

Macca

Where are you from: Sydney

I sailed with Marty in 1972, we were Juniors on the Orsova. A true gentleman and a character.RIP Mate

Just seen the news about Marty!! How desperately sad. He was a great guy and always the true gent. R.I.P

Very sad to hear the news about loosing Marty. I spent quite a bit of time on watch with him , and consequently after watch with him enjoying a few shandies. A couple of years ago he surprised me with a visit knocked on the door and said "Get the kettle on Ginge".After about 35 years still the same . A top man .R I P.

Where are you from: N.Yorks

Just read the sad news about Marty.

We sailed together on Oriana in mid 70's and he was a top class guy with a real zany sense of humour. I remember when he came back from leave one time and he couldn't stop singing the latest Ian Drury and the Blockheads song "Hit me with your rythmn stick".

He was well respected by all - God bless him.

Where are you from: Perth WA

Marty was a great bloke,RIP fellow seadog!

Incidentally Steve I think I was on the 4-8 on the day your Christmas day photo was taken, John Thaw was J2 at the time.
You, me and Mike Jack had just finished the six week line voyage from Sumtumtum on the 12-4, so I'm guessing you must have both retated onto the 8-12?

Where are you from: Originally East Barnet, Hertfordshire, now Nuneaton, Warwickshire