Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Talking Point

Just a thought, Can anyone honestly say they sailed with a Scotsman they really liked? Next subject. Power factor. A sine of things to come?

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

Email  
Re: Talking Point

Personally I think that's a left field comment about Scotsmen Graham. I've come up with 5 blokes straight off the top of my head whom I sailed with who were great blokes and I liked all five of them.

Garry Stewart, whom I sailed with on Oriana and now lives 5 minutes drive away is a life long friend.

George McHugh, my first 2nd Engineer on Nevasa.

Alex Morton, who I was on the induction course with. We hit it off straight away and sailed on Canberra and Nevasa together.

Alister McIntosh (Super Mac, 2nd in the row behind me at the front), was a legend on Oriana whom I proud to call a friend.

Ivor Young (on the left), who was also on the induction course with me and we joined Nevasa on the same day for our very first cruise.

All top blokes that actually I didn't like ... I loved :-)

Email  

I sailed with Bill McCandless on Oriana in 1970. He was JEO on evaps and I was on bilges. Bill taught me the evaps and I took over from him when he went on ticket leave after my first trip.

Bill was/is a great bloke and we met up again a few years ago. We've also emailed each other more recently. A great Scottsman.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Email  

I can confirm that Greg, I never sailed with Bill but he was most kind on two occasions to invite me to lunch on board when he was in Fremantle. The pic above is me and Bill with Charlie Oxley on the right and my two daughter's on the left. Bill is a true gentleman.

Email  

There's a photo of Bill with me in 2005 in my section of Seadogs. This was in the engine control room of the ship Bill was then Chief.

Email  

Email  

Gosh a Scotsman I really liked? yes quite a few and the odd Englishman too!
A quote to me by the Bopper (John Englefield)
" I keep asking Head Office to send me more Engineers but all they do is send me Scotsmen"
Early years in P&O were tough having committed the twin sins of being a Scot and an Engineering Cadet.
IanB

Where are you from: South Australia

Big Roddy McConnell for one

Where are you from: Wirral UK

I sailed with most of those you mention Steve and can only say I wholeheartedly agree.
All top blokes.

Where are you from: Vancouver via Belfast

Yes lots of good jocks.
All those mentioned above plus
BERT MCAUGHTRIE,TOMMY SHAW,HUGHIE MCNICOLE.
and Garry James.

Where are you from: Barrow

I can't think of one I didn't like. Most from a shipyard background, good solid marine engineers. John Thow, SuperMac are names I still know but there were to many and all good

Where are you from: Barrow-in-Furness now Glasgow

Email  

Perhaps I should add that my tongue is still stuck to my cheek!

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

Email  

Wasn't Bob Stewart a Scotsman? He was a good one.

Email  

Quote: graham stephens
Perhaps I should add that my tongue is still stuck to my cheek!

We know you had your tongue firmly located, but l wonder what the response would have been about Welshmen ?

Where are you from: Barrow

When someone cares to write about a topic I find this site very educational.

First Graham’s opening article which made me look up Power Factor and found out it’s more to do with the Cosine rule than the Sine.

Secondly I’d never heard of Steves comment “left field”, meaning untypical, unusual or strange but I got the meaning.

When I was on the Strathmore as 2nd Ref Engr my 1st Ref Engr Hector Stewart a real Glaswegian who’d served his time with L Stern in Glasgow was my mentor. In three Aussie trips lasting 10 months he taught me so much and when we were homeward bound with a full fridge cargo with a junior engineer seconded for the third watch he always gave me the 4 to 8. Sadly he passed away within a couple of years but to my surprise left me his tools and toolbox which I collected from the Tilbury Office.

On the cargo ship M.V. Somali we had a Scottish Radio Officer who was a very pleasant character but after a few Allsopps would suddenly punch the nearest bloke to him. We soon learnt to keep a distance.

I have a feeling that Graham was outvoted.

Roger Monk

Email