Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Oriana, why DC.

I think I remember a previous post on here with a reason or theory why Oriana was built as a DC ship but don't remember the answer.
I was told that one reason was for pump motor speed control to control flow, this is invalid as there were many refineries and other factories that used motor operated valves to control flow.
The original installation was possibly cheaper, i wouldn't have thought so, but the extra maintenance cost would have outweighed this.
Does anyone know the true reason?

Where are you from: Southampton

Email  
Re: Oriana, why DC.

I suspect the reason was tradition, I believe the Oriana was the last D.C. ship built in the UK. It always amazed me how much of the DC was converted into AC and how variable the frequency was! I bought a clock radio from the ships shop, one of those where time is displayed on drop down flags the time keeping was up to 2 hours fast or slow per day.
IanB

Where are you from: South Australia