Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
R.I.P. David Dickinson

News has been received from Australia that David Dickinson (3rd from left) passed away on Friday 15 September. He was in his early eighties and had been suffering from cancer. David joined the Orient Line as an Assistant Purser in the 1950’s and sailed in Otranto and Orontes. He then left the sea and moved to Australia where he worked in the Orient Line (later P&O-Orient Lines) Passenger Booking Offices in Melbourne and Sydney. He was also involved with the opening of the P&O-Orient Lines Office in Canberra ACT. He then took a senior position with Apex Travel for a number of years, before leaving to run the Post Office and General Stores on Dangar Island on the Hawkesbury River in NSW. More recently, he and his wife had moved to Port Fairy in Victoria where they ran a Café. There will be no funeral but, after cremation, his ashes will be scatted at sea off the coast of Victoria.

Email  
Re: R.I.P. David Dickinson

So sorry to hear about the passing of David. I only became friends with David because of this site and discovered we had friends and interests in common.

Where are you from: Wilmington, East Sussex

Email  

Yes David, this site has brought many together and like you, I have never met David, but felt like I knew him through his posts.

Email  

I have never met David but have been corresponding with him for quite some time and I knew he was sick but he always sounded cheery in his emails and the last thing he said to me was when you are down this way pop in and that was only a couple of months ago.
Now unfortunately I wont have the chance to see him and I'm deeply saddened by his passing.

Where are you from: Bonbeach , Victoria formerly Devon,UK

Email  

Sorry to hear of David Dickinsons passing . I never met him or sailed with him but I feel as though I know him through the Seadogs web site . Condolences to his friends and family

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

Email  

Well I knew him well and met with him often when he lived in Sydney and later when he managed the Post Office and General Store on Dangar Island at the entrance to the Hawkesbury River. As Captain of the river cruise ship Lady Hawkesbury I would often anchor for the night close to Dangar Island so I could pay him a visit.
A lovely man who had much to do with the expansion of P&O Australia passenger services.
Also his many stories of life in the Orient Line in the late fifties.
His posts to this forum will be missed.

Where are you from: Essex UK.

Email