Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SS Canberra Model - more information required please

Hello all, This is my first post here and hope that you will be able to help me. I have recently been given a model of the SS Canberra. Its approx 2 foot long and comes in its perspex case. It has got great detail and even has the original red box it was shipped in from P & O. Marked in yellow/gold writing "P&O Orient Line - S.S. Canberra".

From what I know this was an official model sold by P & O - Think maybe 15 years old? and fairly expensive (£££).

I don't know how easy its to post pictures here but if it is then let me know and I will submit some.

Does any one out there collect such models or even owns this model? and last question I have is how much did they sell for?

Hope someone out there can assist me with more info,

Thanks all

Where are you from: Scotland

Re: SS Canberra Model - more information required please

Hi Bruce, sorry for the late reply but I've been away at a mining town in a remote part of Western Australia for a few weeks. If you email the photos to me I'll add them to the site.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, Thats great. I will get some photos done today and get them sent over to you so you can what I have been left. Thanks!!

Where are you from: UK

This was my first ship. Mike (aka "Salva")

Where are you from: Parkham, Devon

Hi there, Do you have one of these models? if so where did you get it and when?

Thanks!

Hello Bruce
Your say you think that the model is 15 years old. I believe this may be wide of the mark - I would suggest between 50-55 years would be more likely. You say that the company name on the box is "P&O Orient Line". P&O bought out the remaining share of Orient Line and renamed the passenger operations P&O Orient Line in 1961 (according to Wikipedia!) I joined the company in the second half of 1967 and as far as I can remember the company was just P&O - although I do recall that in the 12 months prior to me joining I was using the double name in correspondence when applying for a job. Someone else on this site may know the exact date the Orient name was dropped.

Sorry I have no more information that can help pinpoint the source of the model

Regards

David

Where are you from: Ipswich UK

Hi David, Thanks for replying to the thread. Just to call out what I know about this item. It came from an elderly gent who loved going on cruises with his wife but had to stop due to insurance restrictions. I knew him for about 18 years and the ship was always there so I can only estimate age (hence my poor calculation).

If anyone knows the true age of this item then please get in touch. I am led to believe this was not a cheap item and its weight is probably 5kg giving you an idea of its quality.

Look forward to hearing more about this ship. Thanks in advance
Bruce

What a beautiful model of Canberra! Sorry to say, I have to make do with a bog-standard Airfix job, dating from the 1970s.

However, I can confirm that the "Orient" name was dropped, finally, in 1966 from the Company title. Thus it would appear that this superb example must predate that time.

Hi Alan, Thanks for the reply to the thread. Yes its is a very beautiful model of the ship and interesting to read about dating as well. If anyone else has info on this model please feel free to add to the thread. I am not convinced I am the only one who has this model. Cheers!