Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Employment Records

Does anyone know if we can access our P & O employment records?

I'm interested because Ken Hewitt took an instant dislike for me for some reason when he first employed me in June 1970. He said that he probably should accept me, as they had given me the ok to come over from Australia, which was very disheartening to me. I sailed a two week coastal on Pando Point, then he forgot about me. I had to continually remind him that I wanted a ship, as I was very homesick cooling my heels in London.

He eventually said that I could work dockside on Oriana but "YOU WILL NOT SAIL ON HER". I received a letter in Southampton advising me that I was to go to Pando Sound but Maurice Tate, the S2E wanted me to stay on Oriana. He made all the necessary arrangements, I assume with Ken Hewitt.

I was promoted to 4EO within one year by Mazzo and I'd like to see what actually transpired.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Re: Employment Records

Hi Greg, Good luck in your quest but I suspect any records will be long gone by now, or possibly microfilmed and in an archive somewhere. There would be a lot of them! Presume you still have your discharge book full of fondling memories? Sorry that should have been FOND memories. Freudian slip!

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

I have my discharge book and both those types of memories.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

I was able to get hold of Oriana articles at the Maritime Museum in London for years ending in 5 or 0 (go figure?). All others were evidently stored somewhere in Canada (again go figure). It's possible that P&O archives are either at the Maritime Museum or somewhere in Canada. Your best bet might be to contact the MM here and ask if Personnel files for P&O have been archived and, if so, where? Or, maybe start at P&O itself and find out if they actually have an archivist who maybe able to help.

Where are you from: Northampton UK