Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
P&O Reunion Sat 4th Nov 2017

It appears there was a P&O reunion last Saturday. It just shows how far I'm out of the loop these days and the relevance of this website.

Greg Smith sent the following message yesterday;

Attached are some pics I took at the recent reunion held in the Juniper Berry, Southampton, on Saturday 4th November 2017. There were over 100 guests on the guest list, mostly folks who sailed in the 80s and 90s.

There's only one face I recognise and that's Geoff Groucho Heap supping a Guinness by the looks. There's a better photo on Geoff's Facebook page with him and John Thow.

Hey Ho!!!

Re: P&O Reunion Sat 4th Nov 2017

Steve, The site IS relevant to all of us and fills a big gap in our now mundane lives. NEVER feel you are not appreciated because you are. I know I speak for all the members.

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

Sadly Graham the demon Facebook has totally superseded the need to have the knowledge to design, build and run a website these days, any idiot can start a Facebook group and many have.

Steve

Your Seadogs Reunited website leaves the Facebook site for dead.

Greg

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

I go on about 6 sites everyday and there has been a significant downturn in all of them over the last couple of years, I'm sure its facebook, I refuse to join. I think Mark Zuckerberg has enough money without me helping him to more.
IanB

Where are you from: Land of Jock

Re: Seadogs - Thur 2nd Mar 2017

I'm always on this site, twice daily, first thing in the morning when
I'm having coffee and later in the day to check for additional posts.

I joined Facebook about a year ago and over the last six months
have totally backed off on it. Yes, a few genuine post. But mostly
crap. Half of my friends, I no longer follow. Due to irresponsible
political opinions and posts.

I can always rely on seadog's to post something of relevance from
the past. Its good to see photos of reunions and such.

I hope you will keep up the good work ...

Where are you from: Indianapolis, Indiana. USA

I have to agree with Steve on this one, not so long ago, all the reunions (word wide) where normally conceived via this web site and the guest lists published on here also, before and after the event (with photos). It is noticeable that certain individuals have jumped ship onto the other Seadogs site (the F word) which is where I assume this gathering was spawned ?. It’s a shame it’s come to this after all Steve’s hard work over many years, I for one remain true to this site which when you wonder off this forum into the depth of photographs assimilated that so many have contributed to over the years is where the history of our younger life’s lives on.

Thanks for posting my pics, Steve. Although I use FB quite a lot, and there are groups for every ship and every shipping company out there, none compare with this site. It is unique and is beautifully organised into different categories. You don't get that with FB. So don't despair and don't get disillusioned. Keep up the good work.

Where are you from: Ipswich originally, now Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

The event was not generally made public and was not posted in any FaceBook group to begin with. It was created as a private FB event by a former WAP and the initial guest list was by personal invite. Most of the guests were from the Pursers dept. Since my wife was a WAP and one of our friends was on the list, we got an invite also. I did post details on a few FB groups but they were quickly taken down as the attendee list grew in excess of 110. I did think of posting something on this site but since I didn't see any mention of it here and I was not the organiser, I had second thoughts.

Where are you from: Ipswich originally, now Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.

The Seadogs site still rises far and clear of other stuff such as Facebook, Steve. They really do not compare and I believe fulfill different needs. I use Facebook for family stuff and some local groups to promulgate certain info. The Seadogs site is really special believe me.

Where are you from: Eastleigh, Hants

Steve, Facebook is one thing, a medium that fills many needs. This site has something no other can emulate. All of us have something in common best summed up in the following phrase."UNITED BY COMMON EXPERIENCE AND TEMPERED IN THE SAME FIRE!

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

Re: Seadogs - Thur 2nd Mar 2017

Robert Bentley
I'm always on this site, twice daily, first thing in the morning when
I'm having coffee and later in the day to check for additional posts.

I joined Facebook about a year ago and over the last six months
have totally backed off on it. Yes, a few genuine post. But mostly
crap. Half of my friends, I no longer follow. Due to irresponsible
political opinions and posts.

I can always rely on seadog's to post something of relevance from
the past. Its good to see photos of reunions and such.

I hope you will keep up the good work ...

Robert, I heartily endorse all your comments! I, too, joined Facebook some time ago but now I hardly look at it as am fed up with the whole thing. I am interested neither in the minutiae of people's lives nor (as you say) their political opinions, which they should keep to themselves.

Steve, this site is far and away better than Facebook and whilst I may not look every day, I certainly do with reasonable regularity - so please don't become despondent!

P.s. I didn't go to the famous reunion either!

At 73 years this site is the first I open every morning followed by my banking then the Sky news page, so don't you think this site is not important. To all us seadogs from the past we need this site its what keeps us going. A big thank you Steve
Greig

Where are you from: Gibraltar