Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oriana Suez Canal Door

Who remembers the Suez Canal Door from the Oriana Engineers' accommodation?

Back in the early 1970s, Oriana was a First Class & Tourist Class ship. The door at the aft end of the Engineers' accommodation, leading to the Tourist Class section was known as the Suez Canal Door. I think I remember that there was a proper "Suez Canal Door" sign above the door but that may be a figment of my imagination.

The Suez Canal was blocked during my time on Oriana and the Suez Canal Door was sometimes locked by someone, hence the name. This was an annoyance to us engineers, as it made it difficult wheeling in Tourist Class dolly birds but we found ways. I think it was locked to encourage us to frequent First Class but it never stayed locked for long.

I'm just wondering when the door was first named and how long the name lasted.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Re: Oriana Suez Canal Door

I don't remember the sign Greg but would suggest it might have something to do with the tonnage measurement for the Canal dues, crew accommodation being exempt. We lived in the rather more rarified atmosphere above the Stadium Deck so our usual route was along the open 'B' deck.

Where are you from: Essex UK

Mike

I don't know if I'm missing something but I'm not with you with your reason for the sign. It was just a label the same style as our cabin door labels. I think the name was more of a joke.

I'm surprised that none of the engineers have commented on the Suez Canal Door.

I never heard that door called that Greg in 1975, however it was a one class ship by then and as I remember never locked.

I remember the door well Greg. My cabin before being promoted to the lofty heights of 4/E was the last one in the accommodation and was actually part of the Tourist structure originally complete with Tourist A/C! It was also adjacent to the Tourist Chief Steward which was a pain at times as he turned in early so late night noise was an issue!
The door in question was frequently locked and when I first sailed in the late 60's was always so. It had a special security deadbolt lock. I really cannot remember the sign above the door. It could well have been linked to Suez Canal Tonnage as indeed it did separate "tonnage" areas ie passenger spaces from non-tonnage crew accommodation.
I remember Charlie Newby returning late one night and trying to open the door - he had a key- but the lock was screwed and, you know Charlie, he spent a number of noisy minutes trying to open it! Without success but successful in keeping me awake!

Where are you from: Allbrook, Eastleigh, UK

I remember at Christmas 1970, someone drew a Christmas stocking on the back of a menu card and hung it at the engine room log desk. We all wrote our requests on the stocking and some were quite amusing.

Someone wrote "THE KEY TO THE SUEZ CANAL DOOR".

My contribution was "A Centrex pump that really works".

AGGGGGH! Thanks for reminding me I had forgotten about the useless waste of space and time, we used to call it the NOVAC pump.
IanB

Where are you from: Land of Jock

Just remembered was it not the PERVAC pump?

Where are you from: Land of Jock

In 1970/71, the pumps I'm talking about were definitely CENTREX (Brand name) pumps. They stood vertically behind you if you were at the engine room log desk. The name CENTREX was on brass plates on the top splash plate on the motors.

These pumps were part of the evaporator system and had to pull against a vacuum. They were notably hard to get sucking. I remember overhauling one of them, which did improve that one. They were usually ok after they got suction.

They were a Centrex Vacuum Pump. They were fitted to several pumps around the engine room. They were driven from a coupling of the top of the main pump motor. One had to maintain a water level in the centrex pump. The shaftvseals would leak and cause water to run down over the electric motor..... they were fitted to the likes of the evap distillate pumps etc, any pump which required to lift water. They were quite labour intensive and costly to maintain, tight tolerances. The progression on more modern ships was to fit a central priming system, two centrex pumps on a vacuum tank, lead and lag system. Two vacuum pumps instead of many around the engine room.