Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Vanishing Fleet

In 1969 Pan-Am flew the first 747 into Heathrow. This sounded the last post for the Merchant Navy as we knew it.In around 7 years The great companies had gone. P&O - Shaw Savill - Union Castle - Royal Mail. The Line voyages had come to an end. As the advert said;"Half the fun is getting there"; very true but Sydney Southampton 28 days. Sydney London/Europe 24 hours. Cargo lines were not immune. Clan line - Shaw Savill- Blue Star and others. Containers took care of refrigerated cargo and the 747 could carry vast loads.The knock on effect of this was huge. Ships need maintenance ( don't we know!") and stores. The companies above had invested heavily following the war and their fleets were modern in the main. All gone. Thankfully the expertise we acquired lives on and we can look back not with anger but sorrow. We had the best of it.

Where are you from: Gosport originally now Campbelltown N.S.W

Re: The Vanishing Fleet

You're so right, Graham. In many ways I loathe all this so-called "progress". It might improve efficiency in some respects but it certainly doesn't improve the quality of life.

After I left the sea in 2002 I made up my mind that now I didn't have to fly out to join ships, I would never again set foot on an aircraft - and I never have! If I can't get there by sea, I don't go. It's amazing, though, provided you can spare the time (which now being retired I can)I have thoroughly enjoyed travelling by sea, even if it is now all "cruising" as opposed to a proper voyage. I am, however, doing a round-trip trans-Atlantic voyage in Queen Mary 2 in May, which I am much looking forward to.

Where are you from: Ringwood, England

QM2 is fabulous. My wife and I regularly do the txatlantic return, getting off in New York for lunch at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. We love the ballroom dancing and the pseudo 50’s Fred Astaire atmosphere. They have a great bridge viewing area where one can watch the “kid-like” OOW’s run their watch, amazing to think we were that young once. 40 years since I left Oriana but I still get a kick out of being at sea yet not having to rise for the 12-4!

The day after our May P&O Pensioners lunch we’re joining Queen Victoria for her Fjord cruise, haven’t done that since my Oriana days in the 70’s. Next year we’re joining Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver for her Alaska trip, haven’t done that since my Arcadia days in 1971. Then back on the QM2 for a month of return txatlantic with a bit of Canada thrown in.

I’ll be on a table with Mike Gold and John McMullen in May, look forward to seeing old BoT Acquaintances then.
73’s to all

Where are you from: Mersea, Essex

QM2 is fabulous. My wife and I regularly do the txatlantic return, getting off in New York for lunch at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. We love the ballroom dancing and the pseudo 50’s Fred Astaire atmosphere. They have a great bridge viewing area where one can watch the “kid-like” OOW’s run their watch, amazing to think we were that young once. 40 years since I left Oriana but I still get a kick out of being at sea yet not having to rise for the 12-4!

The day after our May P&O Pensioners lunch we’re joining Queen Victoria for her Fjord cruise, haven’t done that since my Oriana days in the 70’s. Next year we’re joining Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver for her Alaska trip, haven’t done that since my Arcadia days in 1971. Then back on the QM2 for a month of return txatlantic with a bit of Canada thrown in.

I’ll be on a table with Mike Gold and John McMullen in May, look forward to seeing old BoT Acquaintances then.
73’s to all

Where are you from: Mersea, Essex

Robert Hill

73’s to all
Thanks for the ringing endorsement, Robert! I'm looking forward to QM2 even more!

Robert Hill

73’s to all
Congratulations Robert. Winning the lottery must have been a tremendous help!!

Robert Have just realised that my comment on winning the lottery could be taken the wrong way. Never my intention. Nearest I got to a Fjord was a Fjord Cortina!!

Robert Hill

73’s to all
Robert, have just noticed that you are travelling again in QM2 in, I take it, 2019, trans-Atlantic and Canada. Would that by any chance be 26.09.19 - 25.10.19? If so, I am booked on that same trip.

No, we’re on the one before and get off the day you join. Nothing personal!

Robert Hill
No, we’re on the one before and get off the day you join. Nothing personal!
Ah, OK. That's a pity but thanks for letting me know!

Yes Graham as a former HIMALAYA shipmate I can assure you Robert Hill has indeed earned his cruising holidays by the sweat and skill of hardwork and success, culminating in the award of an OBE.His ultimate managerial successes a great testament to P&O's early start to his discipline and talent.May he enjoy his rewards.

Where are you from: Now Essex UK, previously Moruya, NSW, OZ.