Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dancing engineers

Yesterday I watched a programme on tv , it was an Australian drama, during which a group of men appeared and started dancing and singing the Hukilau, during my time working in the bars on board I saw plenty of Hawaiian nights and I am sure the more outgoing engineers performed the same dance for the passengers were you one of them? Question to all.

Where are you from: Margate UK

Re: Dancing engineers

I was in the choir on many an occasion but didn't dance, still don't.

Where are you from: Southampton

Did the ballet in the Officers Review a few times...i cringe now at the thought of it... Roddy McConnell in a tutu...but the prima ballerina was always Paddy Clare.....RIP you light footed gents...

"Oh how we danced on the night we were wed, we danced and we danced as the room had no bed." Remember The nightly dancing very well. We were encouraged to mingle with the passengers especially in the early cruise days. Obeying these instructions with enthusiasm, the following night the Officers Formation team took to the floor with a creditable impression of "The Ada Foster Formation Dancers". We tripped the light fantastic, the air redolent of Old Spice and baby powder. Naturally as Gentlemen we maintained a sense of decorum and there was no resemblance to those festivities at "The Ball of Kerremuir". Soon complaints that the Officers were monopolising the female passengers, Said at the time; "WE WERE ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS! Seems like only yesterday and I wish it was.

Where are you from: originally Gosport - Now Campbelltown N.S.W.

Probably Gavin Ash, Phil Jackson and Marty Elliot RIP, also in this memorable pic of how things used to be.

Where are you from: Now Essex UK, previously Moruya, NSW, OZ.

Also looks like Annette Geotge now Mrs Shufflebotham in the front row between John Thow and Marty Elliott. Think the ship could have been Oronsay

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

As I recall, we sang and the girls danced. And They got the words wrong on "A Place to Call Home", at least I remember a slightly different wording, not repeating Hukilau quite as much as they did on TV. We're currently watcing the latest episode! (Series 5)

Where are you from: Nuneaton

Defo the girls dancing - I may have the words somewhere!

Where are you from: Northampton UK

"We're going on a Hukilau", "Pearly Shells" and "Little Brown Girl" Celia?

I have not seen that photo for years. Steve, can you mail me a copy please?
Hey, Andy you never mentioned that photo between the copious glasses of red wine and beers we enjoyed last weekend.
If anyone is wondering which one am I, sat right behind Annette with a lot more hair than now and as one of the kids said "you look like the fifth member of Abba" I don't know if thats an insult or not - I assume they mean a male member?!

Where are you from: Barrow-in-Furness now Glasgow

Must have slipped my mind Glyn!

On Pub night, the Engineer's Corp du Ballet would perform Swan lake. It was always referred to as the Engineers, but in truth, all departments were represented over the years. As previously mentioned, Paddy Clare and Roddy McConnell as Prima Ballerinas.Can't find any pics at the moment, but I'm sure they are out there.

Where are you from: Belfast ( now Vancouver )

I am pretty sure the photo was taken on Oriana, by the number of lads I recognise. I always thought the song was called the "Nooky Now" ! Cheers

Where are you from: N Yorks