Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oriana to be withdrawn from service August 2019

Yesterday I received the following e-mail from P&O Pensioners, confirming what many of us already expected - the beautiful Oriana is to be withdrawn from service in August next year making way, of course, for another of those 4000 pax monstrosities.

Quote:

Dear All,

P&O have just made the following announcement. A very sad day.

"Oriana will be leaving the P&O Cruises fleet in August 2019. Over the years, Oriana has earned a loyal following and we know many of you have very precious memories of her.

All guests booked on Oriana cruises departing after August 2019 are being contacted by post and email and we will do our utmost to provide an alternative holiday choice.

We are very sorry for this change but there is still time to sail on Oriana before next summer or try one of our other ships exclusively for adults such as Arcadia or Aurora (from March next year)."

End quote

I surmise that she will be sold on, rather than scrapped and I am guessing that it will be done so as to remove her very firmly from easy access by her large loyal following of UK passengers who, otherwise, would probably travel in her if they could, were she to go to Fred Olsen or CMV (who are now running Arcadia (III) as Columbus, out of the UK). Australia is my guess or else, to some foreign market such as Phoenix Reisen who already have the ex Royal Princess / Artemis, under the name Artania.

Still, we shall see. A sad loss in any event.

Re: Oriana to be withdrawn from service August 2019

Couldn't agree more, it's a fantastic ship perfect for the older generations, so a clear indicator where their target market is and how little they respect loyalty.

Where are you from: Emsworth UK

Paul (Bleeee) Robinson
Couldn't agree more, it's a fantastic ship perfect for the older generations, so a clear indicator where their target market is and how little they respect loyalty.
Absolutely, Paul.

Well, I think it's quite clear now that Carnival have decided that P&O is to be its mass-market UK brand, while Cunard is to be the high-end UK product.

Having enjoyed a superb round voyage Southampton - New York - Southampton in Queen Mary 2 in May just gone, I can say that the product was superb - like P&O First Class used to be. Also, as the Captain quite rightly stated at his first cocktail party, a bog-standard cruise ship of QM's size (150,000 grt) would carry at least 4000 pax. QM carries 2600 and never felt rushed or crowded. Speaks for itself, really!

Those of us who were at sea, working for P&O in the 60's and &0's can only thank our lucky stars.
We had the greatest job known to man, (or woman for that matter lol)

It must be awful working on these current monstrosities.

Where are you from: Yorkshire

Totally agree we had the best of times mid sixties to mid eighties. Saw one of those new monstrosities on The Cruise . Bob Kent's retirement cruise I would hate to have sailed of that Block of flats . Looks like another " Cruise Liner disappears.Hope you are doing OK Regards

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

colin yes its a shame about oriana I saw her once in hong kong many years ago did not sail but a great looking ship,but she must be 25 yrs old now,however I remember you from arcadia about 1970 you were 3rd eng I was a fridgy in the same allyway with 2 leckys and jnr eng "scun"from Scunthorpe,jumping jack flash was 2nd eng and donkin was 1st fridgy what a couple of true gents they where but apart from that great memories I think you did uk cruising and around world trip before I took some leave,by that time I had accumulated 13 mths leave before Hewitt allowed me to take that break.hope life has been kind to you,i am still glad I can remember it.it has been, would you believe 48 years.

Where are you from: truro cornwall,now mornington vic au

Where have those years gone almost seems like yesterday. I did my last trip as 1st Eng on the old Oriana didn't really enjoy that one didn't know ship very well which makes a difference . Aidan Graham was Chief on there . ILiked the Arc as l was 3rd , J/2/Eng and 2/Eng on there . Was a great ship . Then went to Princess Cruises but still preferred the steamships . I'm doing Ok hope you are OK good to hear from and about old sea dogs . I do remember you but couldn't remember which ship you were on . Regards

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

All ways wanted to do a cruise on the "new" Oriana as she looked like the best of the "new" built P&O ships.
Now it looks like i may have missed the boat.
Another one of lifes missed opertunitys to add to the growing list of.

Where are you from: Barrow

Don Cole
All ways wanted to do a cruise on the "new" Oriana as she looked like the best of the "new" built P&O ships.
Now it looks like i may have missed the boat.
Another one of lifes missed opertunitys to add to the growing list of.
Well you've still got another year, Don. I am guessing though, that if things go the same way as they did when it was announced that Canberra was going, there won't be a cabin to be had. Still, it is well worth a try, in my opinion. I think I shall, as she is, without doubt one of the only two ships in the current P&O fleet I'd consider sailing in. The other, of course, is half-sister, Aurora.

Sad state of affairs, older more user friendly ships being
replace by 6000 passenger floating blocks of Flats. Just
exactly how big can these monstrosities get. I have no
desire to ride the waves on one of these ...

"Very Large Crude Carriers"

Where are you from: Indianapolis, Indiana. USA

P&O and their business model has moved away from the cruising we all knew and enjoyed as to have the passengers. I recall last year a cabbie waxing lyrically about a cruise he went on and the barman was a robot and the loungers were so tightly packed you only had space at the foot and the head. No accounting for taste!
You can still get the smaller cruise ship, more aligned to the numbers we were used to but it’s expensive, possibly if you allow for inflation no more than what was paid in the 70’s but we are used to cheap holidays today.
I am more thinking that river cruises offer a better experience and quality we were familiar with.

Where are you from: Glasgow, originally Barrow

Glyn dodson
P&O and their business model has moved away from the cruising we all knew and enjoyed as to have the passengers. I recall last year a cabbie waxing lyrically about a cruise he went on and the barman was a robot and the loungers were so tightly packed you only had space at the foot and the head. No accounting for taste!
You can still get the smaller cruise ship, more aligned to the numbers we were used to but it’s expensive, possibly if you allow for inflation no more than what was paid in the 70’s but we are used to cheap holidays today.
I am more thinking that river cruises offer a better experience and quality we were familiar with.
That ship was probably Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas. I gather she's got some sort of robotic bar system in one of the public rooms. Sounds horrible! They can keep the cheek-by-jowl loungers as well.

Anyone who has never been on a line voyage cannot really understand what being at sea is all about.
The long runs of nine days and more at sea is what made the atmosphere and camaraderie between passengers and crew.
How anyone can work on these modern regimented monsters is baffling.

It used to be a way of life, now it is just a job it seems.

Geoff Horan
Anyone who has never been on a line voyage cannot really understand what being at sea is all about.
The long runs of nine days and more at sea is what made the atmosphere and camaraderie between passengers and crew.

Couldn't agree more Geoff. In my time on Oriana in 1970/71 we were 85% line voyages. Loved powering across the Pacific at full speed. 142 RPM.

It really felt like you were at sea, not floating around in a shopping mall.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Yesterday took the plunge and have booked in Oriana for February-March 2019, 28-day voyage over to Bermuda (overnight), the Caribbean and the Azores. 28 days onboard, 8 ports and 18 days at sea. Seems a perfect way to say goodbye to one of the only 2 "proper" ships remaining in the P&O fleet.

Greg Sinclair
Geoff Horan

Couldn't agree more Geoff. In my time on Oriana in 1970/71 we were 85% line voyages. Loved powering across the Pacific at full speed. 142 RPM.

That great feeling when 'full away' was rung on departure Southampton, and we were on our way to Sydney is unforgettable, isn't it?

Geoff Horan
Greg Sinclair
Geoff Horan

Couldn\\\'t agree more Geoff. In my time on Oriana in 1970/71 we were 85% line voyages. Loved powering across the Pacific at full speed. 142 RPM.

That great feeling when \'full away\' was rung on departure Southampton, and we were on our way to Sydney is unforgettable, isn\'t it?
It certainly was good for me Geoff, being a Sydney boy.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Just reading the Oriana thread. As I sit here sipping a Pimms in this wonderful weather I worked out the first time I saw the real Oriana was 50 years ago when I was J/RO on Coromandel. It was another 5 years before I actually made it onto the Big O as 2nd. Where has the time gone?
My wife, who I met on Himalaya, and I now regularly travel with Cunard. As Alan Mackenzie says, this is the closest to the old style 1st Class. We did the Fjords this year on QE, the last time i did that was 40 years ago on Oriana. Next year we’re doing Alaska on QE, the last time I did that was in 1971 on Arcadia.
The current P&O is simply a brand of Carnival and bears no resemblance to our days. I mean, blue-funnels???
However life moves on. When I left in 1978 it was all Spirit of London and downsizing so I suppose it a good thing so many people are enjoying cruising, ships are bigger and there’s more crew employment.

Best wishes to all line voyaging seadogs

Where are you from: West Mersea, Essex

Equasis database quotes "ORIENTAL FLEET CRUISE 01 LTD" as the new owners from 28/6/18. I presume they are Chinese.

Where are you from: Stubbington, England

Picking up on Geoff's post re Line Voyages brought back thoughts of the Australian Women's Weekly round the world tour. I had the pleasure of that on Himalaya in '74, quite an eye opener.
On the homeward (UK)leg we happened to be berthed in Lisbon on the 24/5th April sat in Bonjardim eating chicken & chips washed down with Mateus Rose as the Carnation Revolution started. That was an interesting, the sound of three bursts followed by a silence then a further three busts of the ships horn, a mad dash through the streets to a deserted port and a departure where if I am right there were no dockers to assist in casting off and no tugs, and the real threat of closure for the port and us being held there.
On the outward (Aussie)leg the final run was the long crossing from Durban to Fremantle, 10 days if my memory serves me well. I had never seen the boilers and engines settle down so well, everything just hummed. We had a jumper (Goanese crewman)just after leaving Cape Town so delayed in getting into Durban, whist on stand-by during the search spending time between crash boat, bridge, and down below the talk moved away from the unfortunate crewman (who was never recovered) onto to how many passengers would not make the long crossing, and a few did go down. One at least found by the crew when washing decks down still sat in a deckchair and as a J/E you would meet them again in the brine room when taking temperature logs neatly in their canvas shrouds. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and motivated you to get out of there quickly.

Where are you from: Glasgow, born Barrow in Furness

I wonder how they go on for wheeling in on these modern shoeboxes?
It must be next to impossible.
I don't think that officers are even allowed deck privileges.
The only point of being an officer was the wheeling in part of it.
That was the great thing about the line voyages, everyone got to know each other, as it were.
We were treat like dogs the rest of the time.