Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Golden Cockerel

Gill and I finally got to cruise on the Oriana last week, we both agreed it was the best ship we had cruised on to date but unfortunately the money hungry bastards at head office think that all the many thousands of older cruisers will bend their way eventually. Anyway, I have a photo of yours truly with the Golden Cockerel (which was tucked away in a corner of a small reception lounge) so I thought you may be interested to see it before it disappears.

Where are you from: UK

Re: Golden Cockerel

It is going to Arcadia next.

They should put it up for sale on eBay, they should get a couple of bucks for it.

I think it was on the old Arcadia ar one stage in the Aussie cruising . Possibly not for the fastest ship but maybe a bit of inter ship Hi jinks . Like one unnamed Electrician taking the ships bell off one ship I think in the Canaries just transferring possibly for ransom. When stopped at the gangway he said it was being taken ashore for cleaning. Another time also Arcadia in Nassau a J/Eg and 4th Eng went ship visiting to the QE2they somehow managed to hoist a P and O house flag alongside the Cunard house flag . As we sailed the Arcadia "Old Man " radioed across and congratulated Cunard on joining the Pand O fleet . The Old Man also sent a case of beers down to the engineers who showed their initiative

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

That bell was heavy.

Didn't want to mention any names .Hope you are well

Where are you from: Silloth Cumbria UK

Re: Golden Cockerel - the Nassau incident

The raising of the P&O flag on QE2 in Nassau ( April 1971) on our way to Alaskan cruising was actually me and Mark Hoddinott 4/O. It’s shown on my Seadogs page. My MN training college pal Alan Burbidge was 3R/O on QE2. He got us onboard (Cunard security was way in advance of P&O) and I distracted him and his deck colleagues on the bridge while Hodders popped up top to hoist the flag.
Hodders and I were good atterwatch drinking buddies with our oppos on the engine watch, including one Ted Edwards. He then decided they should do something as well. Ted’s response was to waterski round Arcadia in Acapulco harbour in full No10 whites, officers cap and holding an enormous P&O flag. I have a piccie of that as well. Great camaraderie, great days. Enjoy the memories because I don’t think the modern guys have as much high jinx.

Where are you from: West Mersea

Re: Golden Cockerel - the Nassau incident

Great Stuff!!!

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

Yes, very well thanks, hope you are too.

G'day Colin hope you are keeping well( as well as you can anyway).If the ARCADIA's Bell could talk it would have some fascinating stories to tell. WE, ORIANA, pinched it in Suva late seventies and gave it back in SYDNEY many days later. Our old man, J F wACHER was certainly not amused when the ARK called us up and demanded it back as we departed. Much glee on our Bridge as the drama played out. Happy days of yesteryear. Lest we forget.

Where are you from: Essex UK, formerly Moruya, NSW, Australia

Thanks, guys! What a collection of brilliant stories! I knew the one about hoisting a P&O House-flag on QE-2's mast and the ship our lads came from, but never knew until now, who was actually responsible! As you say, great days!

No, I am quite sure nothing like this would ever happen now - Fort-Knox style security everywhere for one thing, plus a lot more silly bullshit rules in general (can't do this, can't do that), to say nothing of 'Elf & Safety! Added to this, half the officers on P&O ships now are foreign and I'm sure they're very good at their jobs but there can't be the commonality of humour and general camaraderie we enjoyed.

Surprised to hear, David, that the Golden Cockerel is going to Arcadia - would have thought Aurora, but there ya go.

Anyway, I'm off next February for my farewell to Oriana (best ship in the current fleet!) and a lovely 28-day voyage over to Bermuda, the Caribbean etc. 28 days, 8 ports - lovely!!!

Once she's gone, the only P&O ship I'll consider sailing in will be Aurora, otherwise it will be Queen Mary 2 and possibly the new SAGA ships when they come into service. P&O and their preference for "Mass Market Mayhem" will lose out badly soon and all their traditional, loyal following will desert them for vessels aimed at the more discerning passenger!