Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cruise ships

I have just got back into my apartment after watching 113000 tons of the Crown Princess dock, it looks so easy with all the thrusters , not a tug insight.
This last 7 days I have seen Navigator of the Seas ,Arcadia ,Magellan ,Saga Saphire ,Celebrity Reflection ,Crown Princess and tomorrow its the Britannia almost 18000 passengers will spend their money here great for the shopkeepers.
At one time you could recognise the the ship by its funnel and superstructure, not anymore they all look alike they could have been designed by the same guy, never the less I still enjoy watching then arrive and depart but I do miss not seeing the tugs pulling and pushing .

Where are you from: Gibraltar

Re: Cruise ships

Yes, quite impressive. During my time on the original Oriana late 60's/ early 70's we berthed without tugs on a number of occasions due to tug strikes. She had bow and stern thrusters and of course manual manoeuvring in ER. The ringing of the telegraph bell was pretty well continuous at times so the turbines took some stick!
The lecky on the Bell Book earned his keep too with short seconds between each engine order!

Where are you from: Allbrook, Eastleigh, UK

I loved being on the wheels of one or other engine on standby. Never boring. I even had a double ring a stern from half or full ahead leaving Fort Lauderdale once. Mazzo was impressed.

Where are you from: Bilgola - Sydney Northern Beaches

P.S. You were in the boiler room on that occasion Dave.

Cannot remember that specific occasion Greg, but there were many quite hairy manoeuvring episodes over the years. Before your time we had great fun in Suez one leaving the great Bitter Lake with high winds and ended up with 4 guys on the wheels! One on each ahead and astern wheel! Leaving San Fran Pier 35 was also an adventure with double rings and enough black smoke to beat the band - I think you had one of those when you first came in the B/R!

Yes also in earlier years under the tenure of Edgecombe and Dunkley it was quite routine to maintain full speed until the pilot boat appeared and then - Standby, Full Astern in a few seconds! This all came to a stop when John Howell came on as Chief and insisted on correct periods of reduction to 75 RPM for standby! Fun times!

Yes Dave, I do remember those hairy San Francisco departures in the boiler room. Very busy keeping up with everything. Fuel pumps, fires, ID & FD fans all at once.

Yes Dave, I do remember those hairy San Francisco departures in the boiler room. Very busy keeping up with everything. Fuel pumps, fires, ID & FD fans all at once.

Hi Dave. I think the departure San Francisco you mention was when you were teaching me the 4E job. I'm surprised that you remember it.

You were an able and willing "pupil" Greg! I remember leaving you on the plates while I wondered up a level and one of the firemen came up to get me! The Bailey Board had saturated - quite normal- with fuel pressure round the clock and of course black smoke aplenty and steam pressure less than desirable! I just brought the set point down on the pilotrol, got the fuel pressure back and a few fires on. It was always quite a hairy procedure. In a way the Oriana was quite good as you could see the fuel pressure rise coming off the berth in San Fran as the thrusters took load and the gennies opened up so you could anticipate a heft astern movement soon after this. All good stuff!

Well, I was just a boy then Dave.

David Betts
Yes, quite impressive. During my time on the original Oriana late 60's/ early 70's we berthed without tugs on a number of occasions due to tug strikes. She had bow and stern thrusters and of course manual manoeuvring in ER. The ringing of the telegraph bell was pretty well continuous at times so the turbines took some stick!
The lecky on the Bell Book earned his keep too with short seconds between each engine order!
You should have been on Uganda Dave.
Even leckys used to get to manover.
Rodger Marshall used to like every one on the plates to be usefull not just on the book unlike on the O when only Engineers got to play.

Where are you from: Barrow