Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
After P&O

Went to sea in 74 onHimalaya, what a fantastic ship, sailed on Nevasa and Canberra, leaving under a dark cloud as J2 eng on Canberra. Joined A Greek company as chief engineer of passenger ship on eastern Mediterranean service . Returned to S Wales and became design engineer for local company with licence from the Electricity research Centre at Capenhurst. Then did a stint as Contracts manager on Power station shutdowns finishing as Contracts manager. Finally worked as contracts engineer for local authority. Oh forgot,also did a couple of years as Marine Superintendent on port cration scheme back home.
The first year onHimalaya was such a revalation. Very sad to read of old shipmates who have crossed the bar.
God bless you all,
Ps , does anyone know where Jimmy Hill the lecky is??????

Where are you from: Wales

Re: After P&O

Hi Phil,
Hope all is well?
Yep,the Himalaya was a great ship and we had some great times. Great mates like Dick Stone (RIP), Chris Wicks (RIP), Andy Westwood, Alan Sainsbury, Glyn Dodson, Mike “Frankie” Howard, Martin “Wilf” Pickles and yes Jimmy-not sure what happened to him, just start searching the Essex phone book.

When we did the scrap run, I remember you and I went ashore in Hong Kong as the ship was anchored at the typhoon anchorage a few miles out for about 6 weeks and because we had a skeleton crew, shore leave was hard to get.
Can’t remember the name of the bar, but it was run by an Aussie and it served cans of VB.
we met some charming ladies, Jewels of the East 😒 and one thing led to another and I arrived back in Sydney with a horrible rash in my nether area.
I tried to explain to my girlfriend that it was caused by the rather corrosive washing powder that we used on board, but that didn’t work and about 2minutes later she was my ex-girlfriend.
You talk to most Australians in their 20’s in the 70’s and the Himalaya was the ship to be on, the party ship.
I sailed with some great Chiefs, Dave Twining and Commordore Geoff Constable.
I came ashore in Sydney and did various jobs and then in 1977 went back to sea on tankers and bulk carriers with CSR, even sailed with Kerry Evison.
Got married in 1978 to a wonderful lady called Valerie(no that’s not her picture, that was a Canadian girl I met on Orsova) and have3 beautiful daughters.
Got into Builing Services and have been Builind Services Manager in about 30+ buildings in Sydney and live and live on the Northern Beaches- God’s Country.

Take it easy PHIL and don’t worry about dark clouds, the Sun always comes out 😎

Cheers

Kevin

Where are you from: Old Wales nowNSW

Kevin,
It's like a trip down memory lane reading your reply to Phil. Himalaya was such a fun ship, the cruises were magic The scrap run on Himalaya was brilliant, weeks in Hong Kong with little to do, well except try to cut out the evaporator copper coils. The bar you mentioned I think all the engineers had a beer or two in there, but not everyone had the same soap powder problem.
Do you remember the hotel we stopped in at Kaohsiung? Had the most amazing dance on the evening we stopped, as the clock approached midnight the local ladies needed to find suitable lodgings for the night due to the curfew, so you have to help.
Are you still working? I retired in June and now living the dream.
You mentioned Alan Sainsbury, do you see him? I know he lives out of Sydney on the coast, He and Barbara stopped with us a few years back when he was over on holiday.
As Phil said it is sad when you see familiar names have passed away, so keep breathing both.
Cheers Glyn

Where are you from: Barrow-in-Furness now Glasgow

Hi Glyn,
Unfortunately the memories of the hours between leaving the Himalaya and landing in Sydney are a bit vague, the copious amounts of the amber fluid didn’t do the gray matter much good.

I just took a redundancy about 6 weeks ago, but I may do some casual work along the way.

I saw Alan a few years ago when we went to Dick Stone’s widow’s funeral, it’s been remiss of me not to chase him up,he like me lives on the Northern beaches of Sydney.

Did anybody ever hear anything of Noel Askaroff?

Do you remember Pete Edwards (Cornish)?
I’m sure that’s him in of the Orissa and Arcadia pictures.

Take care

Kevin

Where are you from: Old South Wales now New South Wales

Hi Glyn,
Oriana pics.
Spellcheck 🤢

Where are you from: Old South Wales now New South Wales

Re: Oriana to be withdrawn from service August 2019

Hi Kevin,
I knew both Dick and Wicksey passed away, but I don't think I met Dicks wife, she like Dick must of been reasonably young when died.
I joined Himalaya with Noel - we shared a room in Suva during the crew change - he was ex P&O cargo cadet and knew enough to get us both compensation as officers do not share rooms apparently. I think he did the one trip on Himalaya and returned to the UK on the last Women's Weekly run at the same time as me. After that he just never reappeared and I recall checking the crew lists and he was no where to be seen. He was very keen on a young lady passenger I recall and I think she came to the UK, to Eastbourne where he was from, I could only assume he left.
Pete (Cornish) is about, living in Oz, I personally have not kept in touch with him but I know he has been to a few reunions out there, he still has that wide infectious smile.
While talking about people from the past, do you recall 'bobblehead' Brian Jewson - I think that was his sir name. I sailed with his cousin Bob Chambers and kept in touch with Bob. Brian married a lass he met on Himalaya, a super girl called Joan, very pretty and bags of personality, and he lives possibly in Melbourne. I don't know what he does now but he was glassblowing at one point - not bottles but the ornamental stuff. the hidden talents onboard that ship!

likewise take care mate

Where are you from: Glasow

yes spellchecker!!

bobblehead my arse - it should say Wobblehead

Glyn Dodson
Hi Kevin,
I knew both Dick and Wicksey passed away, but I don't think I met Dicks wife, she like Dick must of been reasonably young when died.
I joined Himalaya with Noel - we shared a room in Suva during the crew change - he was ex P&O cargo cadet and knew enough to get us both compensation as officers do not share rooms apparently. I think he did the one trip on Himalaya and returned to the UK on the last Women's Weekly run at the same time as me. After that he just never reappeared and I recall checking the crew lists and he was no where to be seen. He was very keen on a young lady passenger I recall and I think she came to the UK, to Eastbourne where he was from, I could only assume he left.
Pete (Cornish) is about, living in Oz, I personally have not kept in touch with him but I know he has been to a few reunions out there, he still has that wide infectious smile.
While talking about people from the past, do you recall 'bobblehead' Brian Jewson - I think that was his sir name. I sailed with his cousin Bob Chambers and kept in touch with Bob. Brian married a lass he met on Himalaya, a super girl called Joan, very pretty and bags of personality, and he lives possibly in Melbourne. I don't know what he does now but he was glassblowing at one point - not bottles but the ornamental stuff. the hidden talents onboard that ship!

likewise take care mate
Hi Glynn,
Yes many happy memories of the Himalaya and Orcades.

Brian Jewson (Wobblehead) used to be on the Gold Coast Australia, met him a couple of times, he is still the same albeit with a slight change in skin texture! He left the glass blowing a long time ago and had a successful fashion business on the coast. He is now in Perth.

Hi Kevin :)

Cheers!

Where are you from: Gozo

Cheers Kerry
Brian certainly gets about Oz. He was one of the characters on Himalaya, that ship was full of them.
There was a chief sparkie, Adam I think his name was, before Himalaya he was on the run from India to Saudi for the Haj I think, possibly ex-BI, he fell over at Captains Cocktails in full mess kit absolutely out of his tree, he then locked himself in his cabin on a bender with only his steward allowed to bring him bottles. I was a first tripper and thought I was in a floating mad house.

take care mate...... Glyn

Where are you from: Barrow-in-Furness now Glasgow

Hi Glyn,
If you go to the end of the Himalaya section, you’ll see a link which will take you to a page out of the Women’s Weekly re: Women’s Weekly World Cruise and there’s a picture of a group of us celebrating Joan’s (Brian’s missus) birthday.

Cheers

Hi Kerry,
Hope all is well.

Regards

Where are you from: Old Wales now NSW

Kevin
Thats brilliant, I see Alan Sainsbury was in the front row. Who was the lass behind Joan to your right, the face is familiar?

Cheers

Re: ss arcadia

Glyn Dodson
Cheers Kerry
Brian certainly gets about Oz. He was one of the characters on Himalaya, that ship was full of them.
There was a chief sparkie, Adam I think his name was, before Himalaya he was on the run from India to Saudi for the Haj I think, possibly ex-BI, he fell over at Captains Cocktails in full mess kit absolutely out of his tree, he then locked himself in his cabin on a bender with only his steward allowed to bring him bottles. I was a first tripper and thought I was in a floating mad house.

take care mate...... Glyn
As a 16 year old i cruised on her second last cruise after visiting her many times in Sydney 3 hrs before sailing at 9p.It will be 40yrs since Arc sailed away and she is still my fav. ship

Where are you from: Brisbane