Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Christmas

How many of you remember your first Christmas at sea. Mine was in 1969 on board Chusan, as the youngest crew member I had the honour of reading a lesson at the passenger Church service, my very first stage appearance at the age of 16.

Re: First Christmas

My first Christmas was also on Chusan in 1966 . I was Junior Eng . We were just at the start of the 4 month voyage out to Australia via Panama then Singapore , Hong Kong ,Japan ,Honolulu. Vancouver . Then back thro Panama . What a great trip for a first trip. Best Wihes to everyone for a Merry Christmas and All the Best for the New Year

My first Xmas at sea was on the Arcadia in 1972, think we were in Lisbon on Xmas Eve, a run ashore for Chicken and Mateus Rose getting profoundly drunk an being relieved to wake up back in my cabin, never did find out who got me back to the ship, I do remember a Xmas tree being strapped to the ships mast.
IanB

Mine was 1969 as 4R/O on Oronsay. Xmas Eve I recall was Madeira then across the Atlantic. We berthed in Ft Lauderdale, not far from the laid up Queen Elizabeth just before she went off to HongKong. We were able to get onboard as she was being renamed Seawise University for CY Tung. It was also the famous Typhoid voyage when we were holed up in Vancouver January 1970.

Best wishes for Xmas to all those who enjoyed the 60s/70s heydays. I left the sea 40 years ago last month.

On ss Uganda. On the 1977 Africa cruise spent Christmas day on a beach in Freetown big lifestyle change for a poor working class lad from up north.

Pando Head in KGV Dock in London.
A more miserable place you could not wish to find, lol.
There was a pub nearby that was the most miserable place I have ever been in.
Luckily it was followed by one of the best trips I have ever been on, out to Singapore, Hong Kong, and Manila, via The Malacca Straits, (Penang, Port Swettenham.)
Those days will never be repeated, unfortunately for the young men of today.
Merry Christmas Everyone.

First Christmas, 1974 sailing to Albany, New York State.
Arrived in New York City just after Christmas (Christmas
at sea). We sailed all the way up the Hudson River, past
West Point (Military Academy). We arrived in Albany on
New Years Day 1975.

Wind chill was -40'F coldest place I have ever been

Robert Bentley
First Christmas, 1974 sailing to Albany, New York State.
Arrived in New York City just after Christmas (Christmas
at sea). We sailed all the way up the Hudson River, past
West Point (Military Academy). We arrived in Albany on
New Years Day 1975.

Wind chill was -40'F coldest place I have ever been
mine 1968 was on the chitral I was 2nd fridgy we were in Singapore ,berthed next to the blue funnel line ship centaur it had a Christmas tree at the top of the main mast,what a great time was had by both ships engineers and deckys what I can remember of it.great times we were lucky its not like that any more.have good Christmas all you lucky guys,all over the world..

My first Christmas was on Oriana during the five month voyage in 1970/71. Funny but I don't remember the Christmas part.

I don’t remember my first Xmas, but I remember the 73 Xmas.
Aussie Cruising and Dave Twining was Chief. He put the day workers on as an extra watch, so instead 4 on 8 it was 4 on 12. What a Xmas 🍺πŸ’₯πŸ₯‚πŸΎ
Rock and Roll.

My first Christmas was on Oronsay 1963 on the way to Oz from Tilbury. Same trip, sitting on the Loo reading the ships newsletter learned of the assassination of JFK - Nov 22nd.

Merry Christmas and a healthy new year to all.

I was on dock staff in Tilbury Christmas Eve ’58. Everyone disappeared so I shut the Fridge Plant down, took the ferry across to Gravesend then caught the train home to Woolwich Arsenal. Came back the day after Boxing Day and gave the plant a good run to get the temperatures down. No one queried anything. I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to stay in Tilbury over Christmas, it would have been worse than KG 5 North Woolwich mentioned above by Geoff Horan.

Roger Monk Ref Engr

Carthage, Surat, Perim, Strathmore, Himalaya, Somali.

Yes, that was some Christmas Kevin