Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where were you??

On the moon landing in 1969??? I was on Patonga, we were in Japan from New Zealand. We watched the landing in a dubious bar... However I was ashore at Yokohama, in the Motomashi arcade, when I walked straight into John Newton, 2nd Electician, off the Orsova... Needless to say a few beers were consumed... But the odds on meeting like that???

Re: Where were you??

I was on leave from Cannanore so managed to see it at home luckily.

I was in the last year of my five year apprenticeship at Cockatoo Island Dockyard in Sydney Harbour. I took a sickie to watch the Moon landing on TV. I was home by myself.

A year later, I was an Engineer on Oriana.

I was in the Bay of Biscay on the "Orcades" on our way to Funchal, Madeira having left Southampton the day before on the 19th July for a Mediterranean cruise.

The day they walked on the Moon was my 15th Birthday. Our class were all in a french lesson at the Lakes School near Windermere. A TV had been wheeled into the room for us all to watch this momentous occasion.
Yes work it out I was 65 yesterday. Cannot believe where the last 50 years have gone to.

The lunar module Eagle landed at 20.17 hours on 20/7/1969 GMT and Neil Armstrong stepped onto the Moon at 03.56 hours on 21/7/1969 GMT.
I was a 3rd year apprentice at British Steel in Port Talbot and had sat up all night watching the proceedings on a TV that you had to whack every 5 minutes to stop the picture rolling,
My birthday was the following day 22/7, happy birthday David.

The memory fades but....... I remember serving a meal on the Chusan, and the announcement came over and said " The USA has effected a landing on the moon"... To which there was spontaneous applause.