Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Dodsworth

It is my sad duty to inform you of the passing of Charlie Dodsworth. Charlie was 2nd lecky on the Oronsay when I joined it in 1972. On leaving the sea he married and settled in Campbelltown south of Sydney. Lynne and I attended his marriage to Maggie and also attended the christening of his daughter Kathy. R.I.P. Shipmate

Re: Charlie Dodsworth

R.I.P. Charlie.

I never sailed with Charlie, although we had mutual shipmates, but we worked together as Building Services Engineers for the Deutsche Bank portfolio in Sydney about 10 years ago.
A really nice bloke.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

RIP

Sad news indeed. in the early seventies Charlie was both my boss and mentor on Oronsay. I learned a helluva lot from him and his knowledge of DC-energised ships. His favourite song back in the day was Roger Whittaker's 'Durham Town.' and whenever the guitar came out it was always his first request. Accompanied by a bottle of Shiraz I've been listening to the track all afternoon.

RIP Charlie and wey aye,man!

Keith Radford
It is my sad duty to inform you of the passing of Charlie Dodsworth. Charlie was 2nd lecky on the Oronsay when I joined it in 1972. On leaving the sea he married and settled in Campbelltown south of Sydney. Lynne and I attended his marriage to Maggie and also attended the christening of his daughter Kathy. R.I.P. Shipmate
Correction to my post about Charlie. My wife and I did not attend Charlie and Maggies wedding as they got married in Hartlepool in 1973. But they both attended Lynne and my wedding at Narrabeen in 1975. Sorry for any confusion.