Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Female Engineers

I was looking at some Sky Princess pictures and saw a young lady, Jane Tanner in the middle of the engine room group.
Was she the first female engineer? Did she progress?
Have there been any other young lasses that followed this employment path?

Re: Female Engineers

About 10 years ago, just before I retired, we had a young woman as the Chief Engineer in the Hospital Group I worked in.
She was very capable and efficient, and a brilliant Engineer, technically.
But I could never imagine her repacking a gland on a Skinner valve, on top of a boiler, in the half dark and in the temps we got up there, in her life. lol.
Some jobs, I must say, are for men.

The 1st female marine engineer was a lady called Victoria Goddard, she was also the 1st female member of the Institute of Marine Engineers.
She went to sea in the early 1920’s eventually rising to the rank of Chief Engineer.
She sailed with a number of companies including BI.

That should Drummond not Goddard.
Queen Victoria was her Goddmother.

I’ve uploaded a picture of the lady at the throttles.

If you do a search for Victoria Drummond you read her full life story, a real pioneer.
It took her a while but she broke through the glass ceiling.

She was awarded the MBE for standing by the throttles as her ship was being bombed and strafed, I think she’s in the same class as you ladies and gents who went to the Falklands.